Do we even miss Darko and Arroyo?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, in Serbian, the words "My time in Detroit was a nightmare" translates to "I can't wait to come back and play for you fellas again" :wacko:
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

HAHAHAHA

[SARCASM]
    It does?!?
    [/SARCASM]
  3. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Grant Hill wants to come back to the D.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Huge difference.

Grant wanted out and left when Detroit was losers and wants back now only because they are winners. Grant played a vital role on the team and had some great times here.

Darko wanted out while the team was winning and went to a loser to get some playing time. He made no secret of the fact that he was miserable here. His best times were...uhmmm...thinking.:confused: He feels no loyalty whatsoever to this organization (not that he should) so what would make him want to return in 5 years? It won't happen.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Grant Hill wants a championship meal ticket to finish up his career. The best thing he did for this franchise was leave. Unlike Darko and Arroyo who are young and have a lot of quality minutes left in their careers, we don't miss Grant and he is but a shadow of his elite pre-injury self.

Re-read Merc's "The Price of Loyalty" in the articles section if you need to be reminded about why hard decisions are just that. Very hard and not always fan friendly; winning takes detachment from sentimental longing.
  6. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

LA Sam at time zero
    I don't know... let me think..................................

LA Sam 3 hours later
    Ok, now that I've thought, here's ANOTHER analogy.

Last night I took a dump. I don't miss it, and now that it's gone, I feel better. I must say that there were two of them, and they were floaters, not sinkers(which is a good thing), but I don't miss them.

Sometimes analogies go awfully wrong.
  7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's true Sam, but a good poop analogy can be very entertaining.
  8. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Thats like asking if I miss the 1970 Charger that I sold for pennies. Given the proper level of restoration and attention it would have been quite a valuable piece. But, given the proper level of restoration and attention I may certainly have been divorced.

The decision to sell was tough but correct. :nod:
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Lemon,

Did you let Sam borrow your Charger?... heard him saying it was a "stinker" !?!
  10. jetscreamer

jetscreamer First Round Draft Pick

Darko was well paid to learn the game of basketball. But he may not be as talented as Amir Johnson who is paid vey little by NBA standard. He was not a good value. If darko wasn't playing he is a waste of cap space. Factor in his attitude, desire to leave and apparent lack of loyalty. Let him become Orlando's enigma. Also his salary is only going up then risk big money on his questionable attitude. No thanks. If he had stayed in Serbia maybe his maturity level may have improved or not. But if you draft a top five choice you have to play or it is a recipe for an expensive disaster i.e. Darko syndrome..............He has singlehandedly cost europeans everywhere millions of dollars that tony parker dirk novitzke and manu ginobili had helped hype.
    Arroya could run an offense and was fun to watch with his passing but lack of defense hurt him along with chauncey's dependability make his salary worth dumping in Joe's eyes. The jury is still out on this one. But once again Alex Acker is on the horizon as a glimmer of hope at a bargain price.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He doesn't really seem to be an enigma to Orlando fans. Here is a discussion nixing a trade that involves (Darko/draft pick/ Grant Hill) for KG.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=499319

You could also say that LB cost European players millions of dollars by making him look like a bust.

And the attitude- he doesn't argue with refs, rarely makes comments to the media, cheers for his team, constantly sets screens, looks to pass the ball first... on and on. He wouldn't have skipped college if he knew that he would have to sit the bench for 2.5 years.
  12. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

jetscreamer, how can you be so wrong on all the points you made? :doh:

Either you or I am wrong, and it couldn't possibly be me.:eyebrows: :behindsof .

I hope you realize that I am kidding. . . . . . . . . . sorta!!

But I DO think TaShawn is righter. (Is that a word?)
  13. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Hey, I turned the other cheek, and now the shoe doesn't fit anymore. :ohwell:
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If the foo sheets...bare it
  15. jetscreamer

jetscreamer First Round Draft Pick

Well the fans certainly should be consulted before any contracts or trades are contemplated... The real point was it is difficult to pay someone a salary without them playing or playing enough minutes. With high draft choices you risk developing them and then they can leave for a variety of reasons. In Darko's case was he good enough to play? .. maybe. Why do I question his character. Well review the New York game when he did not realy come out to answer the bell. I saw that as no heart. Loyalty .. well we brought in a serbian coach Chauncy drove him to practice. Ben tried to instill conditioning ideals. But he he wanted to play but we were told by (flip, asb and other writers) he had a sense of entitlement and he was indifferent and stopped caring. That maybe construed as lack of loyalty. But I believe his agent knew he needed tp play for a big pay increase. 6% makes me think if I were his agent I would do the same thing if money is all that matters. Look at the fans you to which you alluded. They are ready to throw KG money at him. Good Luck. We were told/sold he was a gym rat worked tirelessly. I am not buying that anymore. I agree Darko is a good passer and kept his mouth shut as do all the pistons. That comes down from the top. I don't think I'm way off base here. As far as euro's I believe they are being secured with more second round picks because of the pistons' experience. I thought I would re-explain my take on the question.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Fair enough. I just think we all expect Ben Wallace type attitude and heart here. The average NBA player has a worse attitude than Darko. Especially when they were 18-20 years old.

His expression really hasn't changed much since he started having success. It just may be the way that he looks.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Darko was done when he made the evening news for being arrested.

[​IMG]

Joe don't like that. Plus, if you don't even have to worry about playing, and you are the 6th highest paid player on the team, shouldn't you be able to handle paying some tickets? Show up, smile, pay your tickets, don't take recreational drugs and remain seated on the bench. Seems like a basic set of expectations to me.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Mic, he was just trying to increase his street cred. At least he didn't shave "free darko" in the back of his head.
  19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

sounds like cato.
    boy i'm glad that we have cato on our bench instead of darko. he's getting paid and he's happy and smiling. i don't think he has any tickets or anything yet. he isn't on drugs and he sits on the bench well. he is meeting all of our expectations.
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

couldn't have said it better myself!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.