Do we even miss Darko and Arroyo?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I read in the other forum he's hurt....Draper Hall and class of 84
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Class of '06 for me.
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

if you're being serious, then you are a JOKE and NOT a pistons fan. go troll somewhere else, like the orlando boards. again, if you are actually serious, then you have NO concept of the game of basketball.

ben IS a perennial all-star, DPOY, and defensive first-team selection. ben IS the pistons. to not understand ben's contribution and importance to every pistons victory is to not understand basketball.

this forum have an ignore list?
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

He is serious.
  5. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

This trite, tired, malodorous taurian excrement should embarrass anyone who employs it. Hell, it should even embarrass anyone who has to witness it. Sad stuff.:(
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere else but Darko was very impressive tonight against Duncan... TD couldn't get anything off on the kid... his length was intimidating to say the least.
    I believe Darko got like 14 and 7 tonight.
    Cie la Vie
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Spurs had 11 points in the 4th quarter and Duncan went Oh fer against the Fly Serbian Swatter.

The SA announcer said something to the effect of "Detroit could not find time for this guy, are you kidding me?"
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Did you watch the first half? Duncan took him to school. I didn't really see them matched up a whole lot in the 2nd half. Maybe a couple possessions. Dwight seemed to defend him the best. He was the only guy that could match his strength.
  9. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

yea, everytime I watch the Magic I hear that. It's different though. If he showed that kind of effort I'm sure he would have found some time.
  10. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yup. ben is an all star, dpoy and defensive first team he's also a non threat on offense and he hinders others offense. mcdyess is better or as good as ben in 90% of the situations on the court. i like ben as a player don't get me wrong. i just don't like the idea of signing him to a long term fat contract at his age and his limited skills. i am a pistons fan just not absolute ben wallace fan.

you don't understand the business side and the age issue. eventually somebody on the starting 5 will have to go. i just vote for ben. i just feel that darko was in the long term the better option for the pistons. ben is the short term answer that's better than darko.

yeah and some people thought i was crazy saying that if lb had played darko he could have did better than tay on duncan. the difference between the championship in my opinion. wouldn't that hurt a lot of people's feelings if darko came in with a tayshaun like performance against the spurs.

it is really different the magic actually put darko into the game and instill confidence. we sat him down and broke confidence. the magic found time first. chicken and the egg.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

no. YOU don't understand it. ben is NOT old, and the business side? laugh.

that's because you ARE crazy. i'll grant you that darko is improving, but in a playoff situation even now duncan would eat him alive (he had 31 points 13 boards 6 assists 2 steals 2 blocks last night btw), now take last year when darko didn't even have summer league / national team / preseason / regular season / ANY experience under his belt? how many times do you have to get it throguh your head that LB should have played mcdyess or elden instead of tayshaun? not some raw heartless rookie? by your own admission you think mcdyess is better than ben anyway.

yeah, i'm sure last year when everyone still cheered for darko, that they would have hated him if he helped win back-to-back championships!! :doh: in your book you might prefer spite over winning, but not for the rest of us.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Darko did not guard Duncan a whole lot in the first half. And Darko did not do so well the first few times guarding Duncan. He picked up his third foul and sat about mid 2nd quarter. In the 2nd half though, Darko played Duncan extensively and shut him down pretty well. Thats called experience.

Lets go back to the summer league. Kamen scored on Darko a few times in the first half of a game. But at the end of the game, Darko blocked Kamen twice in a row to give the Piston squad the victory. Experience.

The point is, if we had let Darko play last year in the regular season, and let him gain experience, he could have done fine on Duncan last year when Ben, Dyess, and Sheed got in foul trouble. And we would be talking three peat right now. After watching the game last night, I am more sure of this than ever. Not that I was not already over 90% sure to begin with.
  13. max

max All-Star

Darko's career high in points continues to be 16 which he had last season against ATL. Career high in blocks is 5 which I think one of those games was as a Piston.

So its not like we have not seen something from Darko when he was here. Why was he benched and then traded? I have to think there is more here that we are not seeing. There has to be.

Why trade away your former future all-star for practically nothing more than saving cap space?

There is more to this story to be continued next season. Lets see how Darko does with a complete season before making any judgements. And also how much he is going to be asking for when he is extended.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Warts, you're being shortsighted. Your 24 yr. old butt is out of synch with the Piston space time continueum.
    ...Wood, it was reverse discrimination in many ways. How othen does a athletic big come along?
    ...Did I see a K Brown L Walton joke somewhere?
  15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

we'll revisit this question in 3 years when ben is 34 and making 14 million dollars. darko will be 23 and making 12 million or so dollars. he's simply a better investment.

darko played duncan pretty well last night with no experience against him. he's no vet with just a half a season under his belt. yes duncan had a good game but darko shut him down in the 4th. how many times will it take to get it through your head that darko was definitely a viable option. he definitely isn't heartless he stands in there with the nba's best. he couldn't be broken by lb and he's thriving in orlando even after everyone outside of the pistons org had called him a bust. mcdyess is better than ben and darko at this point in his career but if lb didn't want to play mcdyess cause of foul trouble then darko should have got the call instead of tay.

i took plenty of heat for supporting darko the last 2.5 years. there were plenty of people just like you that thought he couldn't help us win back to backs and darko is definitely proving right now that that wasn't the case. it was hatred on lb's part that kept darko from taking his rightful position as the future of the franchise. in your book you choose to look away and downplay the talent when proven wrong.
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

that's bull. i was a darko supporter up until this year when he blatantly gave zero effort and especially that last game when he disrespected the pistons. there's no room for that on a championship team. i wouldn't blame delfino for being frustrated but he plays pistons basketball every time he is on the floor. he gives max effort all the time.

darko definitely has serviceable talent and some unique abilities, but he is heartless, and it's why he will NEVER win another championship unless it is on a team where he plays an insignificant role. i don't care if he's got more talent than every player in the league. he's not someone i would ever count on.

so, with the extremely small chance that orlando makes the playoffs (they're not going to so this is hypothetical), do you root for the pistons? i bet you wouldn't.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

I assume that you are calling bulls4!t on Darko as "The Great White Hope".

It this isn't it, could you please tell me what it is about Darko that everyone loves so much? Was it his blistering speed moving to the wrong spot on the court with the Pistons?

Was it his tremendous lack of effort in "Garbage Time"

Was it the way he "showed up" for every opportunity given him? His giant heart? His mustache? His cool haircut?

Please, don't tell me it's his (oh god...) Potential. :doh:

I would much rather you root for the guy because of his Whiteness or his Mustache than his potential. At least the two former qualities tangible.

The great thing about sports, too me, is that you can't fake it. It doesn't matter what race you are, how much money your parents make, who you know, who you are related to, what college you went to, or any other quality other than your ability to play the game. Sports is the great social equalizer. Wanna play? Be better than the other guy. Play harder, practice longer, win the spot, play the game.

For me, Ben Wallace embodies the beauty of sports. He's from a family of 12, his father wasn't in the NBA, he didn't go to a prestigious school, and he wasn't loaded with "potential". But he plays hard. He comes in and DOMINATES games. And, he WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Darko isn't a Piston. He will never again be a Piston. He may be a good player. He may be a GREAT player. But he isn't now, and I am so tired of people putting down Ben Wallace to prop up Darko.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is what I don't get. San Antonio is the defending champion playing with motivation at home where they are nearly unbeatable. They are up against a team on a run that they know will be a challenge and then Duncan has one of his best games of the season. How did they lose?

Let's look at the +/- stats that everyone here knows don't prove anything... except what an individual players net effect on the game was...
    Darko= +5
    Duncan= -15

How can that be? Are Duncan's teammates so bad that they drag him down?
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What you said.

But the haircuts were kind of fun.
  20. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

No need for you to assume anything. If you read with any kind of understanding, you would see that the embarrassing element in what you say is the racism upon which it is based.

Hmmm, it seems that racism and other forms of predjudice come easily to you.

But, yet, your very first sentence in your post about Darko is:
    You put this statement in a post answering one of mine, implying that I am guilty of such an act, which is, of course, ludicrous, Ben being one of my favorite players and someone I appreciate as a human-being.

You must be a strong admirer of President Bush and Richard Cheney. You have a gift for innuendo. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.