Do we make too much of championships?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yes, the end was quite unpleasant for the Wings and the Pistons. Most of us wanted Miami and/or Carolina (NHL) to lose, and some felt they were undeserving of their respective championships.

However, didn't the Wings and Pistons give us 7-8 great months of play? Didn't they dominate their leagues for most of the year? Didn't we honestly believe that we might actually see both of our teams win it all?

Quite often the "best" team does not win. It's often the team that happened to get hot, lucky, and stay healthy for the final two months.

Maybe this is just a losers perspective. I guess from a historical perspective the season was a wash, but we sure had a lot of fun along the way.

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I never thought the Red Wings would win. They don't have a team that is "built" for the playoffs. But I definitely thought the Pistons would win, and I'm still extremely disappointed that the team didn't at least get to the Finals. Do we make too much of championships? Yes, probably. We have a bottom-line mentality when it comes to sports (and money) in this country. Pistons were great this season, but not when it counted.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

NO. there were things I wanted to see. Darko getting integrated. Delfino getting integrated. Tough D. Delk and Davis getting some sort of role on this team. that I didnt get.
    This team wore blue and red but played a little more like purple and orange. 50% effort 75% of the time...all for that ring at the end. So what. I was underwhelmed in the reg season and waited for all this crap to make sense and then it got worse.

Play tough D. Play with intensity. Execute. Play as a team. This is what I want to see. All this jumpshooting madness...its boring if we let the other guys score with layups.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

As fans we are guilty of getting too high at times, and too low at others.

The ones who criticize when things are going well are poo-poo'ers and the ones who see the light when the team is struggling are dreamers, but in reality that is what we should all aim to do. Maintain balance and not look at everything as one-sidedly as the media tends to report matters.

It's a fine line between Evangelist and Optimist. Pessimist and Realist.

5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Dreamer and Poo-pooer.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Funny we have always use the term that the Pistons were 'built for the playoffs" :ohwell:

When in essence this year they were just just the "regular" season champs and the Heat were actually the team that was "built" for the playoffs based on what Riley put together in the offseason:P

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well there does appear to be a lot of negative response for a team that played at a high level for a long stretch.
    I hope we can at least remember some of the high points (whooping S.A. on the road... gr8 start etc).
    Maybe the better question is ...are we unrealistically spoiled... expecting a good team to win a ship three st8 years when the odds are heavily against it happening.

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'd give up 2 SA road wins just to never have to live in the WADE era. Actually I kinda liked the guy. If anything I was indifferent to his success but this board has made me a total hater. lol.

If we got beat somehow, I'd not be so down on the team...but the way they collapsed at the end. man thats tough to take.

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think anyone can complain if the team puts forth a great effort and gets beaten.But when they look like they aren't trying, when they play well below what their level of talent would suggest they should and when they just don't seem to be playing well together I don't think it's out of line to be a bit negative.

Most of us spend a lot of time thinking and writing about the Pistons. If folks here are happy about the mess they became at the end of the season you have a lot lower standards than I do.

10. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

No doubt. This also sharpens the pain for the teams that passed on Wade in the draft :frusty:. I bet the management in Cleveland is feeling a little jumpy about King James getting beaten to the punch. It's a little hard to tell him to be patient and wait for his turn when his main competition is already a Finals MVP.

11. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Yea we surely do, but look at who you're asking.
    Man, if we don't represent the fanatical tail end of the bell curve I can't imagine who does. Don't know about the rest of you but I do it on purpose because there are so many areas in life where I can't place this much emphisis on winning it all.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good point. It's like asking a nymphomaniac if sex is important.

13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I couldn`t have said it better Merc. I certainly remember the good times, which were not that long ago. However, we can be back on top very soon with a few moves and some motivation, to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!

I see Miami and Detroit going at it again to advance to the Finals in `06-`07.........The Cavs, Nets, Wiz, Bulls......etc aren`t ready yet.

It`s up to Joe D, and Flip, to make moves to unseat the Champion Miami Heat, (there I said it, and I will never say it again).

The West will be wide open next year, but we must get by Miami to meet whomever comes out of the West. The Heat will be motivated, you better believe that.

14. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

:nod: I we went down fighting the whole way it wouldn't be as hard a pill to swallow for me.Excuses aside it didn't happen and Miami are the Champs now,the hunted,the team everyone brings their "A" game for next year.Remember our time?Now it's Miami's time.We don't get to bask in the glow,we start next season right now.Draft,summer league and the tweaks and turns of Joe D. and before you know it the Lions will be here hopefully getting some rub off the Tigers and we will start our next run.

We've got some run left in this core,just a bump in the road that's behind us now.Still though, I hate Miami!!:ohwell:

15. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Good point among good points, man, what a f&*%& great analogy.

You got me works to do, gonna clean my keyboard and screen right now.

16. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I actually think the Pistons were built for the playoffs. But the coach isn't. You still need a coach that instills toughness and confidence. You think Flip inspires toughness and confidence? Not putting it all on him since the players did their fair share of screwing up, but Riles and the Heat go together like beer and pizza.

Freakin' Chuck Daly. Now that guy was a madman in the huddle, man. Yelling at people. Inspiring them. Shoot. I don't think Flip's got it. Flip doesn't inspire confidence and neither does Dumars for hiring him.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Funny, after watching 100 Piston games this year, I don't recall ever seeing any footage of Saunders yelling or inpiring his players in the huddle ala Daly...

18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

kinda reminds you of steve mariucci eh?

19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Lol. Come to think of it, we can take that analogy a bit further.

Accumulating the best record in the NBA for the entire season was like a long night filled with passionate sex, but somehow you wake up to find that the next door neighbor you can't stand was the one who ended up with your orgasm. :ohwell: