Do you agree with McCosky of the DetNews?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

We've got unfortunately a lot of topics now that revolve around the end of the season. I would post this article in one of them, but I'm afraid it would be lost without comment or change the tenor of the the original topic.

So, do you agree with what McCosky says here?

Changes likely on the horizon for Pistons

This seems to me the most reasonable scenario's. I would like to add that this draft will be important for the future as well. We need a starter here that will be part of the core for '09.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I generally agree but I have to think Flip Saunders will be gone and Terry Porter takes over. We still have a solid team and although I'd like to see him stay Sheed may be on his way out too.
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I agree with most of McCosky had to say except where Amir Johnson is concerned. Amir needs to play. The kid has skills. Was the Cavs Daniel Gibson ready for a rotation spot? You will never know unless you get the kid some playing time. The Pistons are a joke when it comes to developing young guys.
  4. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Not with this:
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You can't really believe anything McCosky comes up with on his own. The guy does an ok job of reporting what he knows, but if you ask him to extend and make predictions, he doesn't come up right very often.

Keeping Billups because he is an elite PG is a great idea, but when you factor in how much that will cost (and hamstring the ability of the team to get better through free agency) and his attitude as a leader, I think everyone needs to step back and look at this for a bit longer before they start making silly commitments to do "anything it takes".

One thing is for sure. If everyone takes their player options, and we re-sign Billups to a 10+ million dollar deal to start, Sheed or Rip is gone because it's financial suicide to keep bringing back the same group for more money when the results are not showing the same improvement as the wages.

The real question is, can we find a Daniel Gibson to shoot the ball, and how difficult exactly is it to hit Rip with passes as he comes off of screens? Because if you can cover those two things for half the price, CB might really become Mr. No Big Deal in Detroit.
  6. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

And certainly not with this:

I wouldn't say that Flip was worse this year, but I do think that his shortcomings were even more conspicuous in this year's playoff run than in last year's. But I would not expect McCosky to say that in print, even if he agreed with me.
  7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Same ole argument here. We won't look because the next guy might fail....well, the current guy is doing a damn good job of failing and I'd like to find out about the next guy.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Agreed Low. It's a losers mentality to fear change.

Jeff Van Gundy
    Paul Silas
    Paul Westphal (my choice :) )

oops, forgot Gar Heard
  9. basketbills

I knew you were going to push for Gar as the next coach Roscoe. I'm still picking Porter but Gar is in my fave five.
  10. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

We have a shooter on the bench that just needs playing time and he also likes to push the ball up the floor. Add A.J. and Max to the mix and lets get our team moving on the break to get some easy buckets.
  11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

What shooter do we have? Please don't say Delfino. He is not a natural shooter/ scorer. Delfino is not going to stick a jay with a hand in his face. Delfino needs to be wide open to hit his shot and even then it is 50/50 whether he is going to make it.
  12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I say find a big man who enjoys playing in the post AT ALL TIMES, and a slasher/creater who can take people off the dribble at will.

If we can find two who fit the above description to take the place of CB and Sheed, let`s do it!!
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I agree with most of what he says, but I still think they need to get AJ some regular minutes, even if it is at the expense of the few extra losses. The guy can't go down to the NBDL anymore and he has to play, we can't just put him on the bench and "develop" him with more practice time.
  14. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

I think all this development talk is stupid as hell. We are the only team in the league that sits youngsters almost completely for years at a time.

THat needs to change.. and Delfino CAN shoot.. his form is solid he just needs more reps. And he was a scorer for the Argentinian national team.. look it up.
  15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's not that I don't agree with you, but I've been thinking about this some lately and who are these guys?

Duncan - o.k., plays with his back to the hoop
    Brand - mostly a traditional back to the backet player, probably won't move
    Shaq - over and done
    O'Neil (J) - an option?
    Randolph - another option, but what baggage comes along? And gets a lot (most? haven't seen him that much) off the offensive boards
    Yao - not going anywhere
    Bogut - not that good
    Curry - not sure I trust him to stay down there

And then the list gets pretty short. There are a lot of guys who try to take the post role and just aren't successful at it (think Haywood), but Moses, Kareem, Parish, etc. are long gone.
  16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The article mentions Joe's commitment to signing Chauncey. Has anyone wondered if that also covers a sign & trade? Maybe Joe isn't so much committed to Chauncey as he is to getting something for Chauncey. If so, you have a lot more possibilities.
  17. basketbills

Last year in June Joe Dumars said his priorities in the offseason would be:

To re-sign Ben Wallace.

To beef up the bench and get some points from someone other than McDyess.

To sign a capable backup point guard.

I'm not sure that Joe's committment to signing Chauncey is a strong as he is saying it is.
  18. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Fail

Fail

Fail
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Backup Point Guard.

Joe could draft a guy like Acie Law, or Mike Connely

Slasher

I don't know if Joe will have to make a FA deal, or trade for this. Maybe this could be what Rip improves in for next year.

Young Center

Bring up Samb

New Coach

Van Gundy, Hubie Brown, or Fratello come into mind.

20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    We do need a slasher. Rip's just not strong enough. Chauncey can get to the hoop but can't finish. Tay only has his hook. They need a CM-type slasher who can get to the hoop and finish or get to the line.