Do you really believe the Pistons playoff success this year will center on AA and AJ?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Mar 15, 2008.

?

Afflalo and Amir getting increased playing time will........

1. Ensure a long post season for Detroit

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Not make a difference

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Not sure what it will do

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Re: Do you really believe the Pistons playoff success this year will center on AA and

So there is that 10% doubt still lingering somewhere out there?
  2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Re: Do you really believe the Pistons playoff success this year will center on AA and

I think all the sides have been covered and I think that D4E shares my thoughts. It is not a matter of AA and AJ saving us IN the playoffs. It is a matter of Dixon and Arvis NOT shooting us OUT of the play offs. Unfortunately Herman did not get a fair shot to see what he could do with Arvis's minutes but we have seen what Dixon can do; NO HELP.

Our biggest problem is going to be Tay's minutes. Delfino would have fit in nicely this year but...

I appreciate what Rattler brings to the table. He has a hunger and size we need. AA needs to get in there and take those minutes from Dixon. AJ may be useful in certain scenarios but he has not gotten enough consistent playing time to be comfortable.

In my opinion; somehow keeping Tay under 40 minutes will determine our fate. If keeping him under 40 means extra minutes for Dixon; we are done!!
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm also kind of surprised that it's taken this long for them to bring Lindsey back to the active roster. But he did have very good games in two of the Pistons' most significant road wins thus far: at Boston and at San Antonio.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's where my 10% confidence in him came from.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Afflalo is not in any way offensively challenged. Some may perceive this, not understanding basketball well enough to know that you got to let a guy shoot the ball before you can judge him. When Afflalo gets shots to take on a regular basis (which has been extremely rare this season), he hits his shots. When any player, with a tiny few exceptions, does not get to shoot very often, he does not shoot well. Afflalo can also drive in, and use all that height of his to score the ball.

On defense, I see Afflalo as every bit as talented as Snow, but having the height to also guard a lot of small forwards, giving him more versatility than Snow. Not to mention, it is of course a lot harder to shoot over the 6-5 Afflalo vs. the barely 6 foot tall Snow.

There are some players we can use Dyess to guard, but for the most part, Amir can do the job while also providing some spectacular help out defense that Dyess can't. Amir also provides transition D completely lacking from Dyess. If anyone wants to know if starting Amir right now in this year's playoffs, instead of Dyess, would help us the answer is absolutely. No doubt. Not even close. Amir will make us a better team if he starts instead of Dyess. Note, Sheed would be the center, and Amir the power forward.

Starting Amir would help our transition D and interior defense to start games. You would go from our current situation, starting 4 good defenders who are not quite good enough to overcome how slow Dyess is at the start of games, to having 5 good defenders. We would be starting out games with major defensive based runs, vs. as it stands now, starting out games giving up big leads.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was a voting weenie and opted for not sure. And I'm not.

The Pistons lost in the playoffs because the starters didn't play up to the level they had shown during the season - and you need to raise that in the playoffs anyway. Maybe this was because they were just worn out. Certainly looking at how much they played over several seasons would suggest this.

Maybe it was something else. Someone (sorry, can't remember who or where) described it well the other day when he or she was talking about the Pistons getting offended because someone was playing them hard defensively. They do seem to take it as an insult and go into a funk when someone has the audacity to play hard against them.

Well, if two years of failure doesn't convince the team that they haven't done anything yet, nothing will. And everybody is probably as rested as an NBA team can be at this time of year (other than the Spurs who don't play anyone who isn't a vet).

So, if the vets play they way they played the past two post-seasons, no amount of Max, Johnson, or Affalo will save them. Neither will Dixon or Hunter. If they play like a hungry team that hasn't earned anything, then those young guys will feed off of that and play well. Billups, Sheed, Rip, Prince, and Dyess set the tone and if they bring the half-hearted game to the playoffs they brought in years past look for an early exit. If they don't, then look for the young guys to get some time and to play well.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Here was an evaluation of Afflalo's weakness from last February:

"Afflalo is a decent athlete but not a great one capable of dominating defenders with his explosiveness … Lacks the first step to gain full separation from his defender … There are times where he becomes too perimeter oriented offensively … Would benefit more if he attacked the basket where he can put pressure on the defense … Ball handling is okay but could stand to be refined as he isn’t comfortable when pressure is applied … Some have questioned if Afflalo has the ability to create scoring opportunities for himself … Due to his athleticism, he is closer to reaching the ceiling … Can go through periods where his jumper is inconsistent … May struggle in an up-tempo offense where quickness is a bigger factor than a half court set … Doesn’t always look to dominate opponents, has a habit of being too passive although he is improved … Despite being a solid free throw shooter Afflalo’s style of play rarely allows for him too draw fouls, and get to the free throw line … lack of lift limits his ability to finish on the break and shoot over athletic defenders ..."

NBADraft.net - Arron Afflalo
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The problem is that with no real help, our core's A-game probably won't be enough. Odds are that some other team will be peaking when we play them. We need an extra gear. Our amp only goes to 10 right now.

We're no Tiger Woods. We're more like Ernie Els. Can he win? sure. Will he? probably not.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Could this unit come off the bench to provide some defense?

Lindsey, Afflalo, Maxiel, Amir, Ratliff
  10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Quite possibly the worst offensive team ever assembled in the history of western civilization.

When Maxiell's your best offensive player, you know you've got issues.
  11. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Maybe.

But don`t expect any offense from that group, or very little.......
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

mrcina, I actually feel bad for you, because I know you are a big Hermann fan. I don't like his game very much, but I agree that Flip did not give him much of a chance,

The first step, is admitting you have a problem. :burp:

You can't prove a negative, either way.

I dunno about that. You got guys who could get you to 20 points off the bench, which is not exactly terrible output in the playoffs.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

All the offense would be off steals and blocked shots.

But you may as well have Stuckey instead of Lindsey. The zoo crew wouldn't have got a nationally known nickname if they weren't good.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If Amir doesn't get big minutes [15] and play well, I don't see us getting past Celts/WC Finalist. Amir must emerge like Tay's first P/O.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

To big burden for him, I guess and since ratliff our 4/5 spot is the least of our problems.

backup SF is not as big thing as some trie to make of it. He scores atleast. D has to pay attention to him.

backup PG is questionable sometimes but he plays.
    problem is that one of backup SG can't score and another can't play D

Still, we live and die with starting 5, a good s5 can save bad bench but good bench can't save bad s5
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

All good points Rax, but just talking AJ. Come P/Os we need to flow thur the piant for easy and fast baskets and Amir gives us that [when allowed]. He's our most complete player on/off the bench. We need to keep the tempo up and run teams out of the building in the P/Os. That's Amirs game. OK 12 minutes per.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Look at his rebounding tonight. He was 2 away from leading the team and he only played 8 minutes.

He likes the paint, can jump, has great hands, hustles for everything. He a coaches dream. I'm not seeing any mistakes from him that the vets don't also make. Most of the time I'm amazed that he seems to have the bball IQ to make suprisingly good passes and also catch tough passes in traffic because he was expecting them.

He is the highest paid bench player and I think that salary matches his current ability level.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

His b-ball IQ is off the charts. You can see it when you watch Max vs. him (not saying Max is stupid, but he doesn't exactly make smart decisions all the time). I think that's why Amir/Sheed works so well. Both incredibly smart players who understand positioning/defense. His mistakes are usually of the nervous kind not so much mental.

Amir was needed desperately in that third quarter. His length at the basket is a big asset. I have a feeling the lack of AA/Amir will bite us in the you know what tommorrow. Amir v Varejeo, Ben v Max. That would fun to watch.

As for Z the only person that can guard him is Z, although Theo might have success pushing him out further than he wants to be. Going totally OT. This should prob be in the game thread.

Anyway, Amir's definately a coach's dream, just apparently not this one's. How often do you see Pop go out of his way to compliment a bench player? :gun1:
  19. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

This means that Flip could be the second coming of............
  20. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Afflalo was key in another pistons win.

Err not so much.

Was the rattler a DNP?