Do you really believe the Pistons playoff success this year will center on AA and AJ?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Mar 15, 2008.

?

Afflalo and Amir getting increased playing time will........

1. Ensure a long post season for Detroit

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Not make a difference

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Not sure what it will do

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Re: Do you really believe the Pistons playoff success this year will center on AA and

Looks like the lack of Amir/AA hurt us in this Playoff style game.

Flip's obsession with playing Dice 30 + min, and his inability to recognize the need for defensive quickness will be the death of this team.

We have speed. We don't use it. Instead we just let the other team dictate our style of play.

Even Max got barely any burn in this one. No wonder he played him so extensively the night before.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: Do you really believe the Pistons playoff success this year will center on AA and

-
    Your last sentence sounds like a rebuke. ???

3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Keys to the playoffs:

1) Limiting Dyss's minutes early and late in the game. We need energy early to go with the starting four. We need someone who can roam at the end of the game. Theo and the young bigs should get these minutes.

2) Playing deep into our lineup. Wisely using the youth for speed to change the pace on teams intent on locking in to our big four.

3) Getting something/anything out of the Flip playbook. Not falling behind at the start as we too often do --with that offense.

4) Getting any kind of adjustment out of our coaching staff. Have a defensive plan. Garnet should not be allowed to take the open jumper. Make him drive. Do we have any scouting report follow through--just one example.

5) The coaching staff pulling a regular or whoever if the situation calls for it and not coaching scared.

6) Having at least a clue when the good defenses try and jam us up--I guarantee they will go after our ball handlers--could someone please tell our staff.

Amir and Affalo are just pieces in the above. The biggest problem we have is whether our coaching staffs do what they are suppose to do: coach, analyse, and adjust.

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Do you think you 'll be seeing any of that? LAP

5. max

max All-Star

Going by the current standings here is what we are looking at.

1) Boston - Projected 66 wins with 14 games left
    2) Detroit - Projected 59 wins with 14 games left
    3) Orlando- Projected 53 wins with 12 games left
    4) Clev - Projected 46 wins with 13 games left

Going by past standards it will have to be a pretty big upset for the 46 win team to beat the 66 win team in the 2nd round. However, its very much real for the 53 win team to beat the 59 win team in the 2nd round.

So with all things being equal, its not going to be a gimmie in the 2nd round this year. But that may actually help the team as they will have a chance to get better and get on a roll as they face the challenge from the south. Sure Orlando does not have much playoff experience but they do have some and their coach certainly does. Orlando is also just as good on the road as we are so home court does not glare out as a distinct advantage. However, adding Theo and getting him up to game speed is really going to help us in that series against Howard, Amir just does not have the bulk or experience to guard him. So in reality Theo getting most of Amir's mins could already be helping the cause.

Its going to be very interesting because they are not going to have much slack this year past the 1st round like they had before.

Also the top 2 teams ( Boston, Detroit ) probably will have homecourt in the Finals so they will be favored to win it all if they get there.

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

TFD,

I am always a optomist. It is hard to rate your own team. But I really am not as scared of Boston as I watched them against Dallas.

I worry more about the state of the Pistons or specifically our coaching. A Phil Jackson would be favored to win a title with our team don't you think?

Our staff has its chance to make history. If they win, they will be great--history works that way. If they lose...

We have had excuses on the back to back this season against the Cavs and Celts. We may be holding some things back--are we that smart?

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Unfortuanately, the coaching staff is not.

8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The Cavs don't scare me when they face most teams. Against us, they do. Boston is just scary all around.

9. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Does it really matter. Even if successful I'm afraid Flip will manufacture a reason to negate their contribution then pare their PT, and it's back to 40 min / starter.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, he really does have Piston DNA!

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would say that he has done a pretty good job of fixing this weakness. As far as I can tell, he is our most relentless defender (at least he puts the most effort into it).

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

This poll is deadlocked.

13. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Was that evaluation before or after the draft? i don't agree on some of these points.

14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

After tonight if this poll said Afflalo, alone................

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA

He could be a piece of the puzzle, but it doesn't look as if Flip is ready to give the guy any meaningful minutes. I think, from the games this season, Pistons starters are that much more effective with their minutes cut down. Even Rip said that he has to be more efficient, since he's not getting the same minutes. Something worth thinking about.