Does anyone else have a bad feeling about our trade assets!?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 25, 2009.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I mean, does anyone out there really see any value in Tayshaun Prince or Rip Hamilton!? Besides Joe Dumars, that is. It appears that at least one nba team (the celtics) sees them as being nothing more than cap-space give-aways.

Most Pistons fans seem to think Rip's a good player, but an old one, that is on the downside of his career. Tayshaun Prince, on the other hand, most pistons fans seem to think is completely worthless...too weak to guard anyone, bad outside shot, not assertive enough to create any offense on his own...etc.

We might REALLY have to look for some steals.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

These guys are valuable. Tough market right now.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    People may be thinking that Pistons are in a fire-sale mode and trying to clear cap space, so they are throwing all ridiculous trade proposals on the table hoping something will stick.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Tay has tradable value and could help almost any team.

Rip on the other hand requires a lot of attention in the offense to be effective. He can't get his own shot and is inconsistent from long range. He has to have plays run for him and I'd argue needs to be the focus of the offense to be effective. He's always got to be coming off some screen or the other to be dangerous to the other team. He plays a throwback style that might have been bypassed. It's not so much about age but about fit that could make it hard to move him.
  5. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

DBA summed it up nicely.

We may choose to hold onto Tay, since his contract expires in the summer of 2010, even if we sign a Marvin Williams. By the same token, because of this, his experience, and versatility, he is our most tradeable asset. On the right team, many of his weaknesses would not be an issue.

Rip's extension is just about to start and is a long-term deal, which makes it harder to move him than if he was towards the end of a contract. That being said, like Tay, he too is a quality piece that could really help a team go deeper into the POs or potentially put contender over the top.

Joe has absolutely no dead wood on the current Pistons roster (with the exception of Maxiel, who is overpaid and has too many years left on his deal). This is NOT by accident. It is by Joe's design. He has perhaps created and maintained more roster flexibility over the last 3-4 years than any other GM.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

And aside from jettisoning players off the roster no one has done less maneuvering in the last 3-4 years than our own Joe Dumars.
  7. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

For real. Joe D had better do something serious this summer or all this praise he has received is going to 180 quick. our roster is beat. stuckey ain't a star. prince and rip don't want to be here no more. talking dice into resigning as a solution to our Big problem is laughable. Joe D has been living off his legacy...but the people who helped him create the legacy don't even want to play for him. our coach is Michael Curry.

we need divine intervention. we have nothing but cap room.
  8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't see Prince or Hamilton as being "great" trade assets, but I hope I'm wrong.
  9. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

That's what I've been thinking right after we got swept.