Does Flip know what his job is?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Dec 6, 2006.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Just read an article by Keith Langlois: PISTONS: Balancing Act

Have to say I was quite stunned. Flip makes zero sense, talking about how he might give his starters a shorter leash, yeah right, or how he has to figure out how to play guys less. Huh? Your the coach, play some subs.

The quote that really got me was "“We have to cut his minutes,” Saunders said. “Cut all our guys. I was talking with (strength coach) Arnie (Kander) the other day and he said it feels like we’ve played 41 games. Our schedule now compared to where we were a year ago has been brutal. And it’s not going to get any better over the next week. Chauncey is one of those guys, when he is a little bit either physically or mentally fatigued, he’s not as sharp. He needs to make sure he has that rest going into that last five minutes.

What do you mean he has to make sure he gets rest? You're the freaking coach, it's your job!!!!:mad2:

I didn't think it was possible for a coach to be this clueless, but here we are. And if Kander is saying our guys are starting to get burned out, all ready, 1/5th of the way into the season, my g-d where will be come playoffs. Joe, fire this clown, now. For the love of g-d, fire him.
  2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Flip is a snake-oil salesman. Says whatever he thinks you (Joe) want to hear.
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Wow, Flip is a bumbling idiot.
  4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Darth or not...the ranks of the Sith are quietly growing....:darthvader:
  5. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Wasn't he viewed as a master juggler of lineups and substitutions in Minny? Well having more than 1 "star" on the team and he loses his concept of what to do? I've tried to be patient but I really think he is clueless. If Flip doesn't get those starters off the floor more, this year will end worse than last. I know the season has just begun but he should have had a solid plan that he was willing to stick to.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

"“We have to cut his minutes,” Saunders said.

So if we read between the lines, and look at the WE, he is absolving himself of most or all of the blame and saying that he cannot make substuitutions because the starters can't build big enough leads while on the floor, and because the subs can't handle their responsibility when they come in.

This guy is a piece of work. I propose we start a new club... the forum "FBI"...

"Flip Bashers Incorporated". :stirthepot:
  7. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thought that my life would've been far more easier if I could talk in the ways like this guy.
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Unfortunately, a good sales job doesn't always fulfill the expectations of the customer/consumer.

The Sith are brooding...
  9. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I admired this man, because he can milk a train of speechs from a short sentence, " I've had plans, it's the players they can't execute. "
  10. max

max All-Star

I don't know. Trying to see what you guys do in his comments and am just not seeing how he is passing all the blame on the players or does not know what to do.

Last game was not Flips offense or defense. I guarantee you his game plans were not what we saw.

On the other hand why does he have so much trouble rallying the troops? Why do things break down so often?

Anyone notice before the games how CB is the only player that shows Flip respect as he attempts to shake each players hands as they take the court?

All this is part of coaching too. You can have the greatest system in the world and its useless if the players start freelancing.

I am not a happy camper right now. Unfortunatly the bench is probably not our savior. You can play our bench guys all you want and they struggle to score over 10 or lock down on D.

I would like to see if Delfino can reach his potential and I would also like to take a chance on the long shot Amir Johnson. Amir can't do worse than Mohammed - can he? I know Amir is a SF/PF but he would be a better option than Prince at PF. Small ball works sometimes but not every game in crunch time.

I do feel for the guy though. Flip does not have the same kind of quality options off the bench as we would like to think. Dumars traded away his 3rd guard in the middle of the season last year. Usually GM's add talent not take it away when you are in the hunt for a title. What did he give Flip this year - Mohammed and Flip Murry?
  11. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``Anyone notice before the games how CB is the only player that shows Flip respect as he attempts to shake each players hands as they take the court?''

Interesting. The body of evidence gets bigger all the time -- Flip has no idea how to approach the ego-management aspect of his job. It's no surprise they don't respect him. They went deep in the playoffs with LB, they know what a real coach is and does. Flip's done nothing to earn respect. He could start by following through on what he says he's gonna do, i.e. rest the starters more. When he says it then fails to do it, the players learn not to listen to him. And that's when you get situations like this:

``Last game was not Flips offense or defense. I guarantee you his game plans were not what we saw.''

The players know there's no consequences for freelancing and don't believe in the system they are running. That's why there was no ball movement in the playoffs. You'd never have seen that under LB. A competent coach doesn't have a problem getting his players to run his offense. It doesn't matter how good a tactician he is, he is not HC material. He would be an ideal assistant, though.

This post is not a bring-back-LB plea. That's not happening. But we've gotta get someone competent in there for the playoffs.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great minds think a like they say. I just posted this very same post pretty much over at the other place.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think we have more talent on our bench than the Hornets who I watch a lot since they come on TV here.
    Cedric Simmons, Bobby Jackson, Janero Pargo, Rasual Butler, Brandon Bass, linton johnson. Bobby Jackson is solid. Probalby the best player if you counted our bench and theirs. But they have played their bench. They rely on their bench. Those young guys make mistakes. But they contribute too.

We need to develop the team in order to get results. not the other way around.
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

flip seems afraid to rock the boat with his starters or get them mad at him. he needs to treat the starters more like he treats the bench, and vice versa.

with the bench, after a few bad plays he has no trouble yanking them out of the game. he needs to do this with his starters regarding effort. he's not blind, he can see when chauncey is acting stupid...put a bench player in chauncey's situation and he'd be benched pretty quickly.

at the same time, he needs to give the bench a little more leeway like he gives the starters, and let them play through a couple mistakes as long as they bring the energy.
  15. MotownPride

Someone should tell Flip that the team is no longer defending champs. They haven't been now for over two years. Stop kissin' their backside, man up, and coach this dang team! Its not just X's and O's.
  16. max

max All-Star

Sometimes I don't know how Flip can look his young players in the eye when he tells them they have to earn mins based on the inconsistant effort we have been getting out of the starters.
  17. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i call this the ben wallace effect. we were owning the league last year with flips system. the team started to question the system when ben started complaining. the team lost full respect for flip during this time too.

i disagree. you don't need your bench to dominate every game. delfino, flip, amir can go for 10 easily. delfino, amir, lindsey are great defenders. jmax could drop 10 in 6 minutes of action. you don't need the bench every night but when the starters aren't locking down or scoring why not put in a bench player and see if he can get it going??

flip murray is not the guy for small ball. delfino should be in there with the small ball lineup he defends and rebounds.

that's because arroyo should have been the 2nd guard and flip wasn't using him anyway. why give flip a bench if he isn't using them anyway. joe traded away our shutdown paint defender and our best backup point guard. i blame this on ben too but if flip was using them more effectively it wouldn't have been as easy for joe to pull that trigger.
  18. max

max All-Star

Tough call. We have the last pick in the draft, Maxiel, Delfino and Amir Johnson.

I think Delfino has definetly earned more PT and Johnson really earned his back in the pre-season so he should be at least playing some.

Definetly going to have to do something about the bench. Either develope someone or make a trade. Something. I just can't see Dyess and Murry being enough. Davis/Hunter are solid but contribute no offense.
  19. max

max All-Star

Sorry, rest of its too much work for me at this time to respond to. Let me just Say that Arroyo played enough mins as a Piston to qualify as a league leader in assist/to ratio.
  20. MotownPride

The man's not even on the team anymore and you are blaming him for this year's losses. UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!