Does Flip know what his job is?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Dec 6, 2006.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

look at the season. we were owning the league using flips system. we became a mediocre team after the semi revolt led by ben wallace. this is why i don't blame the system because we showed last year that it works. it doesn't work when you have a malcontent messing up the team chemistry and destroying the coach player relationship. in an article it was already pointed out that ben calls several piston players on a regular basis.

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

It's hard to get turnovers when you can dribble the shot clock down to 2 and then toss it to someone else and make them take the bad shot...

3. Pwn Toney

Dude, your copy of Catcher in the Rye is in.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Which CB can be just as guilty of doing. Our offense is very safe, very predictable. It took the league half a season to figure it out.

When we shoot well, we're invincible. If a team gets physical with us, we whither on the perimeter.

I love how people complain that Rip turns the ball over. Who do they think is out there trying to make plays? Rip is the one tossing alley oops to Tayshaun on the fast break. He's the one changing his mind in the air and trying to pass out of a double team to an open teammate.

If you walk the ball up and make one pass to a shooter like Rip who did all of the work to get open off of screens, it's easy to rack up assists.

5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

He had an entire summer, pre-season and the first month of the season to win any respect he may have loss from this "revolt" you and the media seem to harp on. No way you can blame Ben for this..you give this guy the power of freakin' Magneto, Charles Xavier, Dr. Phil, and Yoda combined. Gimme a break. If you credit him for having that much power over the will of the team in that period of time for having a less than friendly attitude then credit him for having such a positive attitude for the rest of his tenure as a Piston. Do I need to arrange a meeting with Ben and you so he can give you a hug? Jeesh. Leave the guy alone.

6. max

max All-Star

Low -
    You preferred Tony Delk?

7. Pwn Toney

I preferred Mike James, but we didn't want to "commit," which seems to be a recurring theme in the D.

We only seem to want to keep guys willing to play for less than their actual value...

....unless your name is Nazr, then we throw all our available cash in your face.

8. max

max All-Star

My original point was that during last season Dumars made the team worse instead of better right before the playoffs.

9. Pwn Toney

I get you, I just don't personally believe that holding on to Arroyo and/or Darko would have made any difference.

10. roscoe36

Me neither.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The key word is "holding." You do this with fine wine, not players under contract. The primary benefit of having those two would have been to tread water... or even lose a little ground, while the starters stayed fresh for the final stretch.

12. roscoe36

But it does beg the question, why is there no more garbage time?

Shouldn't we (being such an elite team), be able to blow out a couple teams in our first 18 games? At least Larry would empty the bench for two minutes. We try to close out every game with 3 All-Stars.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is another indication that we are not as good as our record indicates. To paraphrase Lee, we compiled a nice sting of meaningless wins. They are meaningless, because we will make the playoffs anyway, we didn't develop the bench, we are wearing out the starters, and we didn't beat any great teams. We beat the Knicks (barely), Miami (less Shaq), Washington (twice), Charlotte, Atlanta, Philly, and Houston (at home). 1 quality win.

At the same time, a team like the Bulls is not as bad as their record. I would put my $ on them to beat us in the post season as it stands now... even with Ben playing mediocre.

14. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Flip is the only coach in the league I've seen do this. Maybe Flip knows something all the other coaches and fans don't know and he's just waiting for the right time to disclose his secret? nah, he just sucks.

15. max

max All-Star

I don't know. Arroyo really helped us out in the previous years playoffs.

16. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

arroyo kept chauncey on his toes. he was a capable backup that could come in and rest chauncey ( who admitted being tired in the playoffs). he's showing in orlando that he could have been that offensive spark off the bench for us. he had incredible chemistry with mcdyess. mcdyess game slumped after arroyo left. chaunceys game slumped after arroyo left.

darko would have been that guy that shaq had to check on offense so there would be no zoning up against us. he would be that defensive monster in the middle. there would be no hack a darko. ben also started acting a fool when darko left maybe he knew he had flip by the balls at that point.

whether you like those two guys or not they are a big part of orlando's solid bench. who was our bench last year?? mcdyess and hunter?