1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Does Joe D Need To Change His Strategy Regarding Free Agents?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 8, 2010.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think Joe's current strategy regarding Free Agents has quickly run his course.

Remember, his strategy is to pick up Free Agents who possess potential talent and who have either been 1) Not respected by their current team(s) 2) possess talent but have been traded multiple times 3) Players who have been booed out of their own arenas and others arenas but possess loads of talent 4)Players who generally have something to prove to themselves and the league.

Maybe it is time for Joe to acquire straight up talent and ones with no prefaces, stipulations or "gotta prove something" attached to them.

Maybe he needs to change his criteria to players that want to win championships. In fact for this to be accomplished we may now have to go after young proven talent because our NBA Championship window has closed drastically this season.

As a result of our very small crack in the above window, seasoned vets who wants to win a "Ship" may not want to play here.

Interested in knowing what you all think about Joe's current and future strategies in acquiring players and essentially rebuilding our team.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I believe our championship window has been bombed and cemented over.

I liked Joe's strategies for looking for free agents.

Unfortunately the team became a bunch of malcontents, void of player leadership.

Now, the rebuilding process has been difficult

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Right now we are not a free agent destination anymore. Michigan in general is not a destination, nor is Detroit and who wants to play on a bad team in a "dull", overtaxed state in a region that is in a gahd awful place economically? I WOULD!! Because I love my home, can't say David Lee would feel the same way though. I think Joe has to go all out to acquire that type of talent via trade where the other team gets the best of the deal, be we get the best player in the deal, i.e. we trade 3 dimes for a quarter.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He needs to build the D first. The only defensive move Joe made last off-season was to bring in Ben Wallace, and it turned into the move of the year for the team (by accident I would say).
    • Defense will always be undervalued in the NBA, so it allows us to get more for our money.
    • Defense is more consistent than offense.
    • Defense doesn't vanish in the playoffs, it only gets stronger.
    • Defense leads to offense (as evidenced by our offensive production being at its highest when Ben is on the floor and also evidenced by our offense suffering as we have loaded up on offensive players and ditched our defensive players).
    • Defense fits the personality of the City and the fans here appreciate it more than in other parts of the country. Low scoring not exciting? This is Hockeytown. The only town that appreciates low scoring more that Detroit is Soccertown... and I don't even know where that is.
    • Defensive stars have a different personality than offensive stars and we are much more likely to get them to come to Detroit. Think about the mindset of guys like Dumars, Ben Wallace, Tim Duncan, Bill Russell, etc. These guys are not flashy. They are blue collar and they won't turn down Detroit because they want to hang out at South Beach after work.
    Joe drank Stern's kool-aid and outbid other teams for one-way players. He ditched the young role players who showed a great desire to play defense-first basketball.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree that defense is under-valued during the regular season. Most teams, though, wratchet up their defense during the playoffs. It's easy to play hard defense for a short time.

You need defense to win, of course, but you also need guys that can execute and score in order to make a run in the playoffs. Think about the Pistons run over the last decade. They always had one of, if not, the best defenses during the regular season.

6. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It wouldn't help to have a defensive minded coach as well. I dont think Q has really installed to many great defensive schemes this season.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly. And we were the 2nd or 3rd best team in that decade. The teams that were better had an even better defense or a Kobe/Shaq pairing.

Part of my point is that defense is undervalued, but the other key point is that it is way more realistic for us to go that route. We just aren't going to get the D Wade's of the world to sign with us unless we overpay.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I disagree with trying to find defensive minded players and coaches. The rules have changed so that defensive teams will not win again in this league. True you have to play D to win a 'ship, but the days of holding teams under 70,80 ppg are over.

I say field a team that can score 100 pts and rebound. As that team progresses towards a title the D will come. I think it's easier to teach the Ben Gordon's of the world defense than it is to teach the Ben Wallace's of the world offense.

All that said, I don't think you can get guys like CV who have obvious flaws which demonstrate that they'll NEVER be a good defensive player.

9. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

quoted for truth

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Apparently Kwame's being benched because of his lack of D:
    Kuester Explains Kwame's Benching; Wallace Explains Kwame's Career - Detroit Bad Boys

Makes you wonder.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you're looking for offense, then Chauncey Billups (with his .618 TS%... ahead of Lebron James) would have been a good choice. He's currently 3rd in the NBA in offensive rating. Stuckey's at .473 for comparison. The problem is that we traded CB for a guy who was supposed to provide flashier, more unstoppable offense.

If you're looking for defense, then Rasheed Wallace might have been a keeper. He's 3rd in the NBA in defensive rating behind Dwight Howard and Marcus Camby. Sheed was let go because we need to retool... which is understandable after the disaster of a season without CB. A little chain reaction there.

Joe has changed his philosophy over the past few years. If he's doing it because of what Stern wants him to do, then he's being very foolish.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What I wonder is what the coach is looking at. Kwame has the 3rd best defensive rating on the team and the 2nd worst offensive rating. Our scoring drops by over 7 points per 100 possessions when he's in there.

He can't shoot, has legendary bad hands (so he gets few bunnies), and he's one of the worst FT shooters of all time when he gets fouled... which teams are very happy to do.

On defense, he's a big body, a true center, and is basically tied for 2nd on the team in total rebounding rate.

Q has it backwards.

13. hitafreethrow

"Listen, man, I don't want something to be flared up on what I say," Brown said. "I will do what the coach says in order to get better, although that is a first because there is one thing I do bring to the table and that is defense. That's the first time I heard that. It's the first time a coach said I don't play defense. But like I said, I will learn to play the defense he wants me to play."

That was taken from an article on detnews.com and I think Kwame has it right as well. In my opinion he has always played decent defense. Especially in the Cleveland sweep in the first round of the playoffs last year, I felt he was the only one that showed ANY intensity. Few hard fouls on LBJ, did an alright job keep the Clown off the boards. It's fun, if you read the article, there is a picture of Kwame with the ball slipping out of his hand as he goes to dunk and the caption reads Kwame Brown can score, as he does here over the Heat's Michael Beasley, but he has spent more time on the bench because coach John Kuester is not impressed with his defense." Hahah.

From The Detroit News: Kwame Brown to do it John Kuester's way | detnews.com | The Detroit News

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

OMF-Gosh!!! R U Serious!!! Kwame is a more than decent defender in the paint, true he screws up on P&R, but he's no worse than CV or Weezy. I understand benching the guy, but don't slander his name, Kwame is incapable of doing alot of things on the court, but he will hustle and defend.

15. hitafreethrow

Well apparently John Kuester disagrees with both of us.

16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

of course he does. his No1 C is bigben and his replacements are eiter weezy or good max. they are more versatile and have Oskills.

kwame only can play harder D - to compensate his lack of O.

this is not handball where coaches switch from defensive to offensive sets when team attacks and vice versa.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

As I said I can buy benching Kwame, Maxiel has done a very good job as the 4th big after BEN, JJ, and CV; but don't start lying and making up stuff, Kwame deserves better than that. No matter how bad Kwame sucks I've never-ever thought he was giving anything less than his best effort and he's always been a solid teammate and professional, he deserves straight talk and honesty!

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

uh...he may give his best but when you are 4th or 5th big in your team,you usually sit.

19. hitafreethrow

Now wait a second here, who was lying and making stuff up, I want to get that clear?

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I agree with Tashawn... it's annoying as hell watching our guys get beat off the dribble... or without a challenge at the rim.

Of the last 20 champions, how many were in the bottom tier defensively? ... D win ships