Does NBA need to have regular season games in Europe?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Oct 8, 2007.

?

Does NBA need to have regular season games in Europe?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    93.3%
  1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The Canadian Press: Commissioner David Stern considers NBA regular-season games in Europe

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Except maybe on a Sunday they won't be playing any of those games during the daytime and playing night games in Europe for the fan in the U.S. that wants to watch the games live is a nightmare. Who today should have to watch an NBA regular season game delayed?

Garbage for the U.S. fan but great for the Europeans and for Stern's, the owners' and the players' wallets.

Playing in Europe will increase the number of and value of the European marketing deals that players sign.

Also traveling back and forth between Europe and the U.S. will reduce the quality of the play due to jet lag and other assorted problems arising from international travel.

:hoops:

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

If this happens, they should change the NBA to the WBA (World Basketball Association). Naismith invented the game. I say keep the games here. If it were soccer, then North American athletes can go live across the pond. I realize this sounds very ethnocentric, but I really don't care. Stern likes the idea because it helps grow the league worldwide. All about marketing, folks. If the Euros want to watch the game, they have satellite TV over there. Imagine if Manchester United or Arsenal suggested playing a few regular-season games over here to waken the States' awareness of soccer. There would be bedlam in England.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It would actually be a very smart move for them to do that.

5. buddahfan

Why would that be?

There are not enough English expatriates in this country that would make it worth while.

The U.K. soccer teams including their owners and the head of their leagues could probably care less about coming over her to play Yanks or even Hispanics. If you don't know why, you might want to live in Europe for a while. If you have lived in Europe already then I still don't agree with you.

Of course you could be correct that it would be a smart move, but I doubt that we will ever live to see it happen.

6. mikhail1973

I lived in Europe. I could really care less to have regular season games overseas. There were only 14 home games a year and there's no way I'd agree to not be able to go. Imaging having NFL games in Europe, that would be similar.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is why it only makes sense for a preseason game.

The NBA has so many games that it would be less of an issue though. I think that traveling and feeling like you are representing the game of basketball would be a good experience for a lot of NBA players.

However, the best marketing happens when a player from a foreign country makes it into the NBA. Yao Ming.

8. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Charter a Concord, the plane can still fly.

9. max

max All-Star

I can't help but to think this is a distraction from the ref scandle. Perfect timing right before the pre-season begins.

If they played regular season games over there they would have to find a way to compensate the team owners for the lost gate revenues. How would the fans over here feel about having that many less games to attend? US fan considerations seem to be low on that guys list anyway.

If they established a Euro league and integrated them into the playoffs I am not sure how that would work. Have to cut down on the reg season games to have this extra series.

10. buddahfan

No thanks.

There are safer lower risk from terrorists ways to fly to Europe. I am talking from experience and research on this one.

11. buddahfan

All my follow up comments since the above quote have been directed at that quote which is about soccer and not at basketball.

Sorry for the confusion folks.

12. mikhail1973

HOOPSWORLD | NBA News, Rumors and Information

13. buddahfan

Stern sounds like Neville Chamberlain.

How many great European teams have played in the continental U.S.?

I don't see any desire or move by the European teams to play here.

It seems to me for the American fans living in the U.S. it should be a two way street, not just U.S. teams playing in Europe but also European teams playing in the U.S.

For U.S. expatiates living in Europe or Military serving in Europe it would make it more convenient for them to watch the NBA teams, but those can't be more than 1% of all American basketball fans.

Stern's proposal as I now understand it makes him sound like Neville Chamberlain.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We're just talking about a handful of games to be played in Europe each year to help expose the NBA to the world. I don't see this as disrupting the world economy. It won't even affect 90% of the teams.

I don't think a game or two in Europe will wear down players either. Anaheim took the Red Wings to a shootout at Joe Louis just a couple of days after playing in London. The Kings were given 5 days off after they played in London.

15. mikhail1973

Anaheim did take Red Wings to shootout. But it was all because of their goaltender who was the equalizer that night. The Wings were all over Anaheim and even said after the game that it looks like Ducks were still recovering from the jet lag. I don't necessarily know if it is that much of a factor or not, but it took me a while to get back to normal after spending 10 days in Europe.

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is "normal" for you? :pound::pound::pound::pound:

I think the Red Wings will be "all over" a lot of teams this year! I know what you mean about the jet lag, though. It does take a couple of days to adjust.

17. buddahfan

That is what you may be talking about.

But Stern has mentioned money and NBA expansion a large number of times when he talks about this subject.

What Stern is talking about is an international league, with all NBA teams going over to Europe once or twice a year in the format of an international basketball league, without requiring the European teams to come to America.

Stern has maxed out his power level with the current NBA configuration. By expanding the NBA into an international league under the direction of Stern his power increases immensely along with his income. That is what I think he is talking about.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The way currency exchange is going, it's 50% more expensive to play in Europe than it was a few years ago.

This is just expansionist corporate vision. It does nothing for the domestic fans, and nothing for the game itself. It's obvious that Stern thinks he's saturated this market, so using the cabal of team owners, they'll start investing in new markets with profits made in the domestic market from the fans, favorable arena deals from the state and a comfortable collective bargaining agreement.

Get used to seeing the fruits of prosperity exported.

19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Since I seem to be the only one who clicked the Yes box, thought I’d offer a rationale.

Basketball is the only sport with a chance to have a full global following. Yeah, I know soccer is the sport of the rest of the world, but it’s time to call it a failure in the U.S. and move on. We’ve had a generation or two of kids growing up playing the game and it’s still going nowhere. Basketball has caught on like wildfire in Europe and in Asia. There is room in the world for a game that can garner big numbers of fans in every country.

The NBA can either lead that or basketball either won’t fully develop as the world’s sport, or it will take much longer. I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t want to lead. Soccer grew into a global game from grass roots – amateur teams turning semi-pro and then turning into big business. Basketball will grow as a corporation does, branching out country by country. Soccer grew from the ground up, basketball will be pushed from the top down.

Soccer was and is nationalistic - world basketball will follow a different model. One impact of this is that there probably won’t be national teams that compete for the world championship. I suspect the U.S. private ownership model won’t hold either, and we will eventually have corporate teams (think Rollerball). This means that players will move across borders, not when they’re old and washed up, but in their primes. Western and Eastern Europe, China, and parts of South America seem obvious candidates for expansion. It’s not too hard to imagine a basketball world cup happening every couple of years.

Given the potential, it’s hard to imagine that the NBA, as the premier basketball league in the world wouldn’t push its brand outside the U.S. and Canada. First some preseason games, then perhaps some regular season ones, then perhaps buying a European league – who knows what might happen?

20. buddahfan

What's in it for the American fan?

Live European games will be on TV after midnight and before sunrise in America. Are you going to be watching?

Tape delayed. Only Lee and other NBA analysts would watch a game on tape. Most casual internet viewers are going to watch the live games the next day.

I would rather watch the Pistons play live in America than on a tape replay the next day from Europe after I already know what the score was.