Does Tay stand out on the wing to much?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Abe Froemen, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

With no disrespect to Tay for the job he does imo he hangs around out on the wing way to much. I dont know if that is to open the lane for rip and billups or to keep tays guys from doubleing down on sheed or ben, but i get frustrated that he is not in position to get boards or easy putbacks. we know he is a mismatch for just about every other sf in the game but we rarely use tay as a post player. When we had big nasty he would go in and do the dirty work in the post get us quick easy points and when we got jmax i figured we would try to do more of the same. i think the fact that tay is more of an outside guy is why we get beat on points in the paint. if we end up being more of an outside team wouldnt it make sense to go with another "shooter" rather than tay??? I love what Tay brings to this team and he is only going to get better but would it be more to our advantage if he became a better post player or used that part of his game more.

2. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Simple. Yup, he does. :nod:

3. max

max All-Star

Must be part of the play. I don't think its his idea to do so.

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

shh don't say that, you'll kill lee's idea of evans sitting on the wing because he's a bad player :P

tay should go to the post more often when he gets the ball, as he shoots a high % floater in the lane and is a good post-up player, especially exploiting the mismatches he frequently encounters. he'd also grab more boards.

with that said, i haven't noticed anyone standing on the wing overly long or where it would become a big problem.

5. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Haven't paid attention, but I do think Billips is shooting the ball waaay too much. I have noticed that Sheed is in a slight slump. I do feel that we need to play more defense.

6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joking? Billups has increased his FG% during the last games (except for the losses) and if he strikes, the Pistons strike.

7. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Tay isn't impressing me this season. Last year I expected the Finals to be his breakout moment, which was stunted by the Spurs doubling him every time he had the ball (Which they did on Christmas too), but this season all his numbers are down as well. He's up to par now in a couple areas because of 10+ rebound games, but he seems to be getting left behind in this new O. Which involves him just standing around a lot. It's just kind of disappointing when he has improved so much year over year for the past few years.

There's only so many stats to go around, so I guess someone has to be the "filler" guy.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The new offense is less oriented towards the 5 man game.

That said, I think that Tay should assert himself rather than accept the Trenton Hassel role. He's exerting less energy on offense, which should mean we are seeing a return on the defensive end.

I'm not seeing that.

I like Tay, but I also understand his limitations. He's sneaky quick, not fast. He's long but he's very thin. He defers too much to be a 2nd option. He's a 4th option on this team. He might even be better off of the bench, but then he and Arroyo don't seem to have a lot of chemistry.

9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

damn, you're right- Tay has decreased in every category except scoring (+0.1 meaningless) and TOs.
    I'm getting worried he was one of the players trying to improve their value due to their last year of the contract (Dampier, Ervin Johnson)- according to his stats and weaker defense (just remember him against Pierce or Wade this far) he is overpaid.