Does this mean anything?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Oct 4, 2005.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

From the bottom of the Detroit News article today:

I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into this, but this little mention at the bottom of the News article today sort of bugged me. A guy that has been compiling all of these scouting notes and insights for the Pistons the last 5 years now takes all of this knowledge with him to New York. Do these sort of moves happen all the time and this is no big deal?

As much as I like Isiah, I almost wish the Knicks will fail now with LB at the helm. Am I a bad person for thinking this?
  2. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

actually, I think this should be more of a big deal than the News is letting on. The advance scout is responible for the picks like Okur, Darko, Delfino, and maybe even Tay to an extent. If it was to any team I wouldn't have read to much into it, but Brown and Isiah know the Organization a little too well and seem to be looting the front office talent that we obviously have. So, no I don't think that you are reading too deep into this since NY Pro teams are notorious for things like this.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes. You are a bad person. Bad BillLaimbeer. Bad. :P

On a serious note, what else is new? To think that LB has no pull and was made by being the Pistons coach is naive (not that I feel you think that, but some do). There is no one better connected (IMO) in the NBA than LB. All's fair in love and war, and the minute LB left, so did any reason for him to see the Detroit franchise do well.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All is fair

I don't have any problem with LB taking all of his assistant coaches with him. I think that was a major weakness of the team in 04-05. When I see an advanced scout leaving, though, it just seems like there is some big database of prospects, evaluations, and team philosophy that is leaving with the guy. I'm looking forward to seeing what this new coaching staff does with the Pistons offense. Let's pray that the 5-6 minute scoring droughts are long gone.
  5. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

I thought the advance scout was the guy they sent to watch teams comming up on the schedule (do they do that anymore?). This could be a more important loss then is reflected by the minor mention by the paper but I simply don't know much about the scouting staff outside of Ronzone (who gets all the press).
  6. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

You are correct. The advance scout reviews opposing teams and players. If he has been with the team since 2000 it is puzzling as to way he would suddenly leave, maybe he and Brown have a good relationship or maybe the Knicks just out bid the Pistons.
  7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Advance Scouts Match Up To Head Coaches

In some ways Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle are similar coaches. They both emphasize defense and are not very creative in their offenses. Flip is different especially with regard to his approach to the offense.

It could be that Flip wants his own advance scout who he has worked with before and he knows will look at opponents' games consistant with his approach to the game.

Advance scouts are like everyone else. We see only what we want to see and tend to ignore the rest. So too adavance scouts are looking for certain things based upon the head coach's approach to the game.

It is probably a very good thing that O'Conner left. Flip will no doubt hire an advance scout that will see the games from Flip's perspective and not Brown's perspective. I doubt that O'Conner would have been the best advance scout to match up with Flip's approach to the game given that O'Conner thinks like Carlisle and Brown both of whom do not approach the game in the same way that Flip does.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_8_226/ai_83450456