Donaghy made bets depending on ref crews...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 17, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    RealGM: Wiretap Archives: Donaghy Hints At Other Refs' Biases
    click on [READ] to read the whole article
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If the crews were announced in advance, Vegas could better track and adjust the lines for those biases and tendencies.

Just another case of Stern's arrogance coming back to bite him. He knows best, even when he's had the wool pulled over his eyes.
  3. max

max All-Star

I was hoping that something like this would come out of it. Force Stern to not ignore it.
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Let me get this straight, Donaghy didn't actually have to call the game, he just had to know which ref crew was going to call the game in advance to know which team would cover?

Worst, EVER news for Stern.

Will the owners finally can this clown?
  5. max

max All-Star

I don't know. It will be very intersting if Congress has that hearing.
  6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

The best news for me is that Donaghy is supposed to name others involved. There is nothing sweeter than Stern having his "fixed" league exposed as actually fixed.
  7. roscoe36

If the league is fixed, maybe it means Flip Saunders is a really good coach.
  8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Does not compute....does not...compute............does.............not......comp....:granade:
  9. roscoe36

I knew you wouldn't let that one slide. Good response.
  10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Up to 20 refs being named? Could the NBA be even worse than professional wrestling?

Scary thing for Stern, Donaghy wasn't just fixing games, he knew how to identify the games that were going to be fixed.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I know most of us are relieved and feel somewhat vindicated that the referee situation is being exposed for what it really is and that Stern looks bad (deservedly so). But what will this do to the game that brought us all together in the first place?

Different time (almost 100 years ago), different characteristics (Players vs. refs), and different sports (basketball and baseball)... but here is how the Black sox scandal affected baseball.

[SIZE=-0][FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA][SIZE=+1] The Black Sox Scandal -- Aftermath and Effects [/SIZE][/FONT] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-0]The Scandal couldn't have come at a worse time. A post-war depression was starting to sink in, there was public disillusionment, and racial tensions were reaching a boiling point. The need of America for its good old national pastime was at a peak, and this fiasco ruined even that for the public. The Official Encyclopedia of Baseball says, "baseball suffered a near-fatal blow upon the revelation that the infamous Chicago 'Black Sox' had thrown the 1919 Series . . ." For those die-hard fans, this was a blow from which they might never recover. Still, in present day, nearly 80 years after the fact, baseball fans talk about the Black Sox scandal with a lowered voice and an embarrassed look in their eyes. It's a stain on the revered game that even time is having a problem washing away. The scandal even left its own legacy that is still inciting arguments among fans today: the fate of "Shoeless" Joe Jackson.
    [/SIZE]
    1919 Black Sox Scandal
  12. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

When you click on the "link" and read about the scandal, Also click on the "photo" link. The guy sitting in the front on the left is the great "Nemo". He's also in the "outfielders" photo.........That's my grandfather............
  13. Nemo

I can tell what happened after the 1919 scandal to the White Sox. They basically blew up the team and started over. The players on the team had to answer questions about the scandal for the rest of their lives. Joe Jackson, who was the greatest player of his time, was left to play ball in out of the way places, under an assumed name. He played the game like Willie Mays. Had a .360 lifetime batting average. Outstanding outfielder with great speed.
  14. max

max All-Star

I am not sure how attendence will be effected this year. So far it has not stopped people from talking about the latest trades and rookies.

I would imagine it will take somekind of a hit short term. It can get a more popular than ever before if they clean it up and bring in the fans who would not watch before, even before this, because they thought it was corrupt.
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Believe it or not IMO, people will watch just to see if the corrupt officiating will continue. That is a very strange reason to tune in, however, there are some strange sports fans among us.

So, I am going to say TV ratings will increase, perhaps slightly, but any increase will be a welcome surprise for the league. Attendance will also increase as many yongsters with tremendous potential come into the league, not to mention the new look teams via trades and FA signings.

That is my take on this upcoming season and scandal, as strange as it might be............
  16. Nemo

I see business as usual. These are different times than when the White Sox scandal happened. Most people aren't turning away from baseball just because of the steroids controversy. The few discriminating fans like The Low are very conscious of the integrity of the game, but most of the sheep will still follow their stars and teams......................
  17. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Something tells me that Stern's desire to have a team in Las Vegas just came to a sceaching halt.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This whole thing makes the players look better, which I think helps with the image problem.

The players come across as being honest, hard working, and just wanting to play the game. And all those people who thought Sheed was a loudmouth?... well, he was just standing up for the injustice of it all.

If a big name player... or a few were the one caught rigging games, then I think it would have been horrible for the future ratings.
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'll go somewhere in between. Maybe Flip would be more successful than 2 ECF, but he still would not be a really good coach. He would only be a good coach.
  20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Just wait for the latest survey to be release (which the refs and the player's union tried to suppress) that the majority of the players (upward to 90 per cent) have given the majority of their wages to charities...bless their hearts.