Don't boo Larry Brown!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Sanddunes, Oct 24, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Out of respect for Larry, I will pass my glass of beer at least five times before throwing it.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I read that LB started Rose and another guy in SA for the hometown crowd's benefit. That's Larry. He'll do something ignorant and then turn around and do something class.

All the reports I am reading about NY indicate that he's straightening out Crawford/Marbury and is really high on Nate Robinson and David Lee.

I think the Knicks will surprise this year. They might even surprise the Pistons.

3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I'm always cautious about any reports coming out of New York. Guys go from being better than they are to worse in a heartbeat.

The Larry moment most worth remembering was in the press room after Game 5 of the 2004 Finals, when he started by giving credit to guys like Rick and Chucky and Cliff. That impressed me deeply ... because with all the celebrating and press hoopla that happens after a championship win, LB really went out of his way to get that mentioned upfront. Maybe his defining moment with the Pistons, worn out and a little stunned but thinking of others after the biggest win of his life.

4. roscoe36

I've been reading reports from outside NY as well. The general reaction is that the 'Bockers are headed in the right direction.

You should check out my last post in the biggest loser thread. I think we are on the same page or at least in the same book.

5. max

max All-Star

Question

Curious. If you can imagine yourself in LB's spot as head coach of the Pistons instead of LB then honestly answer this question.

For this question lets assume that if LB had given Dumars the same health guarantee that he gave Isiah and also appologized to Davison for whatever Davison was upset about then he could have stayed on.

Would you stay on as Coach of the Pistons for 6 mil next year or take the Knick job and the buyout for 18mil for this next season?

Then after that you get 44 mil over 4 years guaranteed contrasted to 12 mil over 2.

Thats a net gain of 44 million dollars.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

When you put it that way... it's a pretty easy decision... especially if it's the town you grew up in (and a 100 year old mom).
    Plus Shelly had a lot to say about this decision...

It's on Flip now.... the talent is better than last year.... just ask the LB haters.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Man screw that if i went to the game i'd boo, is it just a coincidence his health gats better just when he goes to NYC? If he wanted out he should of just said it straight, not go making up all this BS.

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

From a business stand point the way he handled it was the best way possible from his perspective. He got exactly what he wanted AND still got paid. If LB said he wanted out his wife wouldn't be able to go shopping with Davidson's money.

We're all looking at it from a Pistons fan point of view. All we see is that he totally left us all hanging and his distractions during last year's playoffs didn't do anything to help our chances of repeating (Note that I'm not saying its the reason we lost, but it certainly didn't help our chances). We feel betrayed and angry.

From LB's point of view, he got his cake, cut it open and found stacks of Davidson's money inside, then proceeded in eating the cake while laughing hystarically. :laugh: <- LB

Was it right the way he did things? Ethically, probably not, but the NBA is a business and in this business it was totally legit.

By booing him we look like a bitter ex-girlfriend. Personally, I'd rather look like the girlfriend that is totally over him and has moved on to marry a rich, good looking doctor.

Or more importantly, a team that is bigger and better than its coach. A team that doesn't need a Hall of Fame coach to succeed. A team that plays Piston basketball, that won't take regular reason games lightly, will show up with high energy and intesity for 4 quarters every night, will put teams away instead of letting them hang around, will capitalize on the strenghts of its players and take advantage of the depth and potential of its bench.

A championship caliber team with a quality coach, not the other way aroudn.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Jammer ain't interested in being Larry's beotch anymore! Damn st8 ma man.. Shelly can have that greedy SOB :thumb:

Just messin... excellent points.

10. roscoe36

OT/

I am dying to see the first Piston slam dunk this season.

It's been a terrible offseason of Darko watching, LB griping and failed championship fallout.

LETS GET IT ON!

11. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I'm in Kansas City so he wouldn't hear me boooo anyway (though my wife says I begin to yell at the screen violently whenever he comes on) However, it would be awesome if Darko had a sweet dunk or a killer block and then looked over to lb and did the "Ben Wallace" flex he did in nationals.

12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or the Mutombo finger wag. Now THAT would be funny! :laugh:

13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Seeing the Knicks media every day, they think either Larry will be the second coming, or Starbury will cause a meltdown, either way they'll be happy cause they'll be entertained. Worse fans ever.

My opinion. Bottom of the league talent, that will be well coached, and win games they shouldn't. Borderline playoffs. LB loves David Lee. He's a taller version of Darvin. Absolutly brutal the way he throws his body around to get boards or play D, but zero nba skills, slow, cant shoot, classic energy guy. Larry loves him.

14. max

max All-Star

New Job

Good points. Actually I did not realize the "Shelly" influence. She never did like it in the Det area.

Plus add-in a softer GM in Isiah giving LB more influence over player decisions and an owner clearly willing to spend more on players.

Its a good opportunity for LB. Too bad he just did not come out and say something like "I have taken DET as far as they can go and NY is the next project I would like to get involved in".

Then again you had Dumars saying stuff like "If LB would only assure me that he can coach then I would love to have him back" when clearly Davison had already decided.

But to boo or not to boo? In the primitive binary form of communication of the crowd we have 2 forms of expression. Two words or expressions in our vocabulary ( cheer or boo).

Now if we boo its only going to add more fuel to the Detroit is a hostile environment perception. Like it or not Det fans are given far less slack than other francises. So to boo is only going to make us look bad.

I say just do nothing. No booing or cheering. Just dead silence when LB is introduced. That would really throw a curve ball at Det detractors. They would not know what to say about that.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

In the Persecution Complex department, did anybody read about the White Sox fan who slapped Biggio's wife in Chicago? The Sox manager formally apologized and the Astros accepted it as an isolated thing, so it didn't get much attention. But if that had happened in Detroit we'd be crucified on front pages for weeks to come.

I think we should shower Larry in urological products. Or maybe Mason could just play a sound effect of a toilet flushing.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

White Sox

That was actually a pretty mild beating by sox fan standards. I expected much worse.

18. roscoe36

19. G-man

G-man Starter

This is how things could get out of hand

Let's just say the booing starts up in section 213 (small biz owners and relatives). First a little, then a similiar group in 212, not knowing what the others are booing chimes in based on "upper tier team spirit".

At which point section 104 (lawyers and accountants) being unhappy with the 'Larry dissing', begins to boo the boo'ers. 105, (more lawyers and accountants) joins 104 at which point the really drunk contingent in 216 (free tickets from companys not using them) starts really booing it up. They never liked the 104-105 contingent anyway.

This pisses off everyone in 121-126 (the we're glad we aren't upstairs anymore, but we really want those 104-105 seats crowd) Uh oh.

Larry being on urology meds and having been seen woofing on some herb next to the team bus prior to the tip off, actually thinks they're booing Allan Houstons return to Detroit again, (short term memory lapse) and takes the opportunity to go scream at Darko.

It all begins unraveling really fast as some idiot in the video booth decides this would be great time to put Ron Artests lying on the scorer's table image up on the big screens.

Good God almighty, in the middle of all that Stern makes a deal to rescind our franchise rights and sells it to some guy from Missoula Montana. Fine kettle of fish those dumbazzes up in 213 got us into this time. Small biz owners......who needs 'em....

20. jetscreamer

jetscreamer First Round Draft Pick

Larry's buyout

From what I read this is the first time LB has requested any of the money he had left on the table. So I am wondering why now does he need a buyout from the pistons. When it was obvious the Knicks would hire him for substantial money. Clearly the pistons would have let him walk for nothing after posturing for compensation. So it makes one wonder what motivated the buyout. The duplicity is what is bothering some. If he wanted another challenge and more money very few would have been upset. All he had to do was say I don't want to be here any longer. Was it the knick's fear of tampering allegations, Detroit's fear of losing a good coach? Can anyone make sense of it?