Don't Expect a Trade

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Warthog, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

PISTONS: Joe Dumars Q&A - Part II

the interview was decent enough in that joe was pretty candid. but to me it seems clear he's okay with rolling the dice this season in exchange for getting quality pieces this summer (where he notes the pistons having more cap room than anyone except OKC). i guess we'll see...but i wouldn't expect any more moves. while it's disappointing (and a little more frustrating as a season-ticket holder spending a lot of $), it may actually be what's best for the pistons long-term.
  2. LValgren

LValgren Second Round Draft Pick

If nothing more is going to happen and the Pistons are waiting to the 2009 summer trade, who of the big players can we expect to see in Detroit then?
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Seems like JD has made his choice as a GM: instead of sitting in the middle( most NBA teams) he is willing to go to lottery for future "big impact" player.

It is obvious that JD did not believe in team anymore and with AI deal he started rebuilding process.

There is no guaransheed, of course, but with cap space you have at least a chance...

I do not expect FA from 2009 summer but 2 big signings in 2010 summer.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Mediocrity in the NBA is definitely a trap. It usually happens when teams overpay for a few guys with flashy offensive stats and no defensive desire.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree probably no trades, as Joe looks like he is going to ride out the storm with pieces he has. But why continue to train a coach who doesn't appear to be learning anything?? In my line of business his 90 day probationary period is up and he needs to be cut loose either now or at least if we fall below .500 The only thing is can Darrell Walker do any better??? Wonder if Terry Porter would have done better here instead of in the valley of the Suns...

I know Avery and Van Gundy are available now, is there is wink-wink deal ready go this summer? You don't want to play next season with MC at the helm and he ruins it for that supposed big FA that may or may not sign....:nailbiting:
  6. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Guess Joe going to overpay Carlos Boozer this summer.......

I rather Joe go after Marvin Williams and Paul Millsap.
  7. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

Nice, AI's only role at detroit is being scapegoat for every loss... and watch the rodney stuckey show :MusicBigGrin:
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

His role also calls for him to expire. He's progressing nicely in that regard.

On a related note, I need to make a comment on our ability to sign a big name FA with all of our money. As others have pointed out, most FA's that fit into the category that we are looking for end up signing with their original teams. Only about 30% are lured away.

But another factor that I want to bring up is that there are a lot of big contract players that don't even come close to living up to their contracts. They are over paid.

Let's just look at the top 10 contracts in the NBA:

1) Kevin Garnett: $24,750,000. Hard to argue with this. He's one of the best 2-way players in the game and he is a defending NBA Champion. They have good odds of repeating.
    2) Stephon Marbury: $21,937,500. Not even playing.
    T2) Allen Iverson: $21,937,500. He's no Marbury, but he's also no KG.
    4) Jason Kidd: $21,372,000. I'd put him in the same class as AI. Would be fine if he were making about half of his current salary.
    5) Jermain O'Neal: $21,372,000. Underperforming. Injury prone.
    6) Kobe Bryant: $21,262,500. Clearly living up to his contract.
    7) Tracy McGrady: $21,126,874. Injury prone.
    8) Tim Duncan: $20,598,703. Still underrated. Almost interchangeable for KG.
    9) Shaquille O'Neal: $20,000,000. The big burden.
    10) Steve Francis: $19,814,480. No comments needed. Joke of a contract.

Of these contracts, Garnett, Kobe, and Duncan are playing like superstars. Iverson, Kidd, Shaq and McGrady are producing, but not at max contract type levels. O'Neal has battled injuries and isn't his old self. Marbury and Francis are producing about as well as Walter Sharpe.

So, even if we do sign a huge name player, it would seem that there is about a 70% chance that they will not perform at a level high enough to justify the pricetag. There is a 20%-50% chance that they will ensure a losing environment and will be virtually untradable.

30% odds of getting one in the first place x 30% odds of them panning out = 11% chance that the route we are taking will put us in position to vie for a title. Even then, 50% odds of brining it home at best. Total odds = 5.5%.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Joe picked a coach who is on the same track.
  10. Latinoking90

HOLD THE PRESS!!!

Alex Acker trade a precursor to a bigger move? - Detroit Pistons Full-Court Press - MLive.com
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The actual tax # is based on salary paid. Only what Alex made as a Pistons will count against the tax threshold. The remainder of his salary will count against the Clippers.

Most sports writers fail economics and finance 101.

Joe could come in under the cap by negotiating a buyout with a current player on the roster. Like McDyess, Sheed or AI, Joe could pay them off at 90% of salary owed this season, and let them sign with someone else. Obviously all 3 of them would have no problem catching on somewhere else.

So I think any speculation about the tax is nonsense, because Joe has a lot of options. We might not make a trade, but I can guarantee you right now, he has a backup plan with the roster in order to not pay tax, even if it means paying Walt off to go away or extend him at less per season for another year.
  12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I'm assuming he's referring to Amare here, who expires in 2010. It troubles me slightly that Joe doesn't seem to understand the fact that if we traded for Amare, and he didn't re-sign, WE WOULD HAVE THE CAP SPACE again. All it does is shift that cap space to 2010 (Which I would MUCH rather have anyways, Boozer does not interest me).
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

right FP, that's exactly what i was thinking too
  14. Latinoking90

I guess Joe is really high on CB #2. Maybe he will even give him #1 on his jersey.
  15. max

max All-Star

Wasn't Dumars saying just last week on how he would make a trade in a heatbeat?

Just the usual old puff piece of softball questions on why a deal could not be worked out - if it does indeed not workout. No big secret on Dumars interest in Stoudimire. Just admit it - you could not get it done.
  16. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Dumars has lost his touch for quite a while. Pricey contracts to marginal players like Amir, JMax, Nazr and Brown, to start with. Never upgrading the bench, just one retread after another i.e. Hayes, Flip, Delk etc., when the team had the fire and were on the cusp of being serious championship contenders. Over valuing his players, currently Stuck is his untradeable asset, a year ago it was Amir. Non-existent coaching search i.e. MC was his boy as soon as Flip was shown the door. Has he ever heard of going through a thorough search process to ensure he has seen all the candidates up close? He is teflon coated. Everyone else takes the blame for his inactions. He is absolutely to be blamed for the Stone's not winning atleast 1 more Championship and is living on his legacy. Yes, expectations are high when you are supposed to be good at whatever you do. Does anyone understand what the Pistons philosophy and identity is anymore? They are not a high powered offense, and the defense is like swiss cheese. I don't know if a trade is needed or not, but I would like to see some consistency in organizational philosophy and a plan in place to assemble talent. Wishing on Bosh or some other savior should not be a key element, there are 29 other teams who want the same player. Sorry for the rant.
  17. Latinoking90

I feel like you are very much ON POINT anakin. RANT ON :smoke06:
  18. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

but..but...b-b-b....

IN JOE WE TRUST!

(but seriously for a moment, he probably never had the touch. He probably got lucky the same way Ainge did, except Ainge's moves were much closer together; Sheed basically fell into his lap)
  19. max

max All-Star

Yea its about time he steps up to the plate and gets something done. His moves have not been the best the past few years. Just have to wait and see how his grand plan plays itself out.

For the record. I would have to put him behind Jack McKoskie at this time as the greatest GM of the Pistons. At one time he was arguably better but thats been slipping lately.

Time to get something done Joe.
  20. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I hate the concept of untradeable Piston players. If Shaq (even an older one), Joe Johnson, KG, Allen, AI etc. can be traded then certainly anyone on the Pistons roster should be available for the right price. If you're getting a chance at Bosh and Stuckey were the starting point, I'd put him on a plane yesterday. I'd be singing a different tune if we had CP3, Williams, Roy etc.