Don't Expect a Trade

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Warthog, Feb 16, 2009.

1. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You would think DET has to make a move soon. I just don't see how long Joe can walk around stockpiling 2nd round draft picks without some team making a move on him. It's like walking through the roughest neighborhoods with fistfuls of cash after a while.
  3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is true. Even though there might be some extreme mis-perceptions on JD's end and an overvalue on some players (Tay and Stuckey); it's a must we hold him accountable.

I just wish he would not give these fluff interviews with the shrills. It's becoming embarrassing.
  4. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Joe has orders from Davidson to stay cheap until 2010 when the economy starts picking up. Until then, their story is that there saving for the future to position themselves for the class of 2010.

Good luck attracting elite players in 2010 with a non-playoff roster
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Perhaps there is some sort of internal mentality that comments to the gang back home after the mugging, " I never saw it coming, I can't believe they're from the neighborhood."
  6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Come on, did you see this team when he took it over in 2000? Stack, gimpy Grant Hill, The Binary man himself, Lindsey Hunter, Terry Mills, etc was the roster he was given.

By 2003, there was only 1 player remaining from the team he took over (Lindsey Hunter), and managed to throw a Hall of Fame coach in the mix as well. The Lakers are really the only team I can think of in recent memory (with Shaq and Kobe), that built a championship team without getting a franchise superstar in the draft.

We haven't seen many great "Free agent steals" lately because Joe hasn't been looking for a starter to throw the full MLE at, and a few watered down FA classes. Plus, until this season, about 40 minutes of the game was set with 4 or 5 guys on the floor playing large minutes. You aren't going to throw huge money at a guy who is going to play 10 minutes off the bench and expect him to be a big contributer. Our only semi-open spot recently has been Center, and that is a spot you simply cannot fill with the MLE or less. McDyess has been probably the best MLE and under big man in the league the last 4 years or so, and Joe got him. What player out there should he have gotten with the money he had?

Joe's biggest knock right now is that he probably waited too long to make a move. He should have moved a core piece after that first year we fell apart under Saunders and Ben left. At this point, the veteran core is too "tired" to make a legit run at it.
  7. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Have I ventured into the wrong place? To think that someone would dare to take an objective stance on Joe D's performance? That's it. I quit this worthless forum.
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Joe is laying it on the line: the only real move is to bring in a "impact" big to the Pistons. That is the mandate. Any other trade is just treading water. Yes, that implys that our current young bigs have limitations in his eyes.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You should listen to the podcast. When the Low and I get on, we're so objective, we're out of this world. It's like a collision of galaxies.
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Seriously Worm, it's like a collision of galaxies from different planets.
  11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Uh...Maybe it is "like a collision of planets from different galaxies?" "cough" "cough"
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

:fishing:
  13. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Actually, Joe even shipped LH to Milwaulkee for an expiring Billy Owens contract - then brought him back a couple years later.