Don't know if the corner had been turned, but...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Feb 11, 2012.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If it has, here are some of the reasons I see...

Benching Austin Daye – Daye wasn’t single handedly losing games, though he did contribute more than 20% of the badness anytime he was on the floor. Sitting him down though was a clear coaching move, something I’m not sure I saw from the fresh faced lad before. It send a message to the team and started them on the right road.

Knight getting a little cocky – He wasn’t necessarily playing badly earlier in the season, all right, some, but over the past couple of weeks he’s started to show some spunk. He gets fired up when he does something well and that rubs off on everyone else. And that can only have come from confidence. He now believes he can play at a high level in the league. Put some of that on the fresh faced lad too.

Rubbing that off on Monroe – Yep, the big guy has caught it too. He’s playing with a lot more fire, and just the smallest trace of bad-ass. I don’t want him to turn into A’m’a’r’e, all false bravado all the time, but he does need to put a little fear into the opposition and he’s starting to do that.

Russell – Putting Bynum to the very end of the bench and bringing in Walker D. (and I love it that Blaha only calls him Walker D.) was an inspired move. He brought toughness and team play and a sense of personal responsibility. Very nice pickup.

Camaraderie – These guys really do seem to like to play together. They call each other out, but they also pick each other up. It’s nice to see.

The new and improved Stuckey – I think one reason Stuckey is playing better, beside being healthy, which helped a lot, is because he’s playing the two spot early. I think he can play the point, but the pressure of always being the guy making decisions took him out of his game some, made him think too much. The game seems to have slowed down for him lately.

Even Bengo – In the proper role, Gordon can contribute a lot. With some other healthy guards, he can play that role now.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good post dba. This looks like a fairly balanced team with some chemistry now. I give coach Frank a lot of credit. He still seems to be giving Daye more minutes than necessary. WDR has been a good influence on the team and Will and Wilkens have faded to the end of the bench. The big surprise for me is how well Max has played as a starter. I didn't see that coming. And JJ seems much more effective off the bench.

3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Nice post dba. The thing I like about Lawrence Frank as a coach is he's consistent in his rotations, and he's flexible about it. His players know what to expect, and they can play without fear of being relegated to the doghouse for one bad game. I think that's key, especially with regard to the development of young players.
    There's a good piece on the official site with comments from the fresh faced lad that I thought was interesting. To summarize, it was basically if you want freedom and not have to run sets, if you want to run, first you have to defend. A young team like this, with a speedy PG and bigger guys like JJ and Monroe who run the floor well, they're going to thrive in that kind of free flowing offense.

4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Good post DBA. I think you summed everything up pretty well. Ben Wallace taken out of the starting line-up was also a good move. I too am surprised by the rejuvenated Maxiel. He seems to compliment Monroe very well and vice versa. Just think if we had a complimentary SF to back up Prince or for that matter replace Prince in the lineup.

5. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

My favorite part about the recent win streak is it gives the fans something to cheer for and a reason to go to games while we head for a one of the league's worst records. Hope sells tickets baby!

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't think we've turned a corner yet. Bad teams make you look good. We've played really well as of late but until they can execute against a real opponent, they're still right there at that corner.

One of the changes has been Maxiell starting. JJ has been aggressive off the bench.

I think early on, there was no offensive scheme it was all freelancing and it showed. Defense sparks offense and vice versa so as our offense choked, our D choked as well. It looks like we have some game plan because people are moving off the ball. We have been getting those shots where it was kind of easy...whereas before it was always this hard fought, clutch thing.

The difference has been shooting .489 vs. .563. I don't know how we can sustain that type of shooting against winning teams with actual NBA players on the front line.

7. max

max All-Star

Yes its been fun watching the Pistons lately. Last Friday was like the good old days. Bad competition or not, they have been playing very well.

Been getting much better guard play. Stuckey is doing much better, Knight is getting more settled and Walker D has been making a big impact off the bench. Much better for this team than what we were getting from Bynum. Largest factor though is the front court with Moose becoming more of a scoring threat and in Maxiel's resurgence.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I really have no problems with Lawrence Frank. He's been a really good coach for a rebuilding situation and I think that he'll be good once we're back. Most of it is his demeanor- sets a tone that it is a learning environment and doesn't grandstand with fake emotion when things aren't going our way. You can tell that he has the respect and command of the team... which is a first since Carlisle/ LB.

The bad teams will make us look much better than we are, but I do agree that there is some cohesion building lately. Guys seem to be playing unselfishly and having fun. Everybody is rooting for each other, helping on D, diving for loose balls, making the extra pass, etc.

Our guys definitely aren't moping around. They are losing with some professionalism.

9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Totally cool with this. I didn't watch the wizards game, but I am big on modesty by professional sports players.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

They have a very modest record......

11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...yet another good slogan for the PS&E marketing department to consider.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So far, I like Lawrence Frank. I really, really dislike watching Prince and Maxiel play......BUT, for some reason, they are playing differently and better this past couple of weeks. The coach must have something to do with these changes.

Good points have been made about the team looking good against poor competition. The corner will not be turned this season record-wise, but perhaps it will be turned attitude-wise. Players are being held accountable for a change. Working hard and playing the right way is being rewarded (i.e., Walker D). This is a great sign. The losses will keep piling up, though, simply because of the lack of talent.

13. max

max All-Star

other slogans

- still recovering from the sale
    - we don't let assets walk
    - see the young players play
    - we are stuck on stuckey
    - prince is the glue of the team

CarlosGallan likes this.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

could they reach .450 ?

15. dba

Better than the old slogan...

- we don't let assets play

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It all depends on how you define "assett." Right now, Joe D says Prince and Stuckey fall under the "assett" tag.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

If your breathin.......and have skills within reason........Join our basketball season............:)

18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think they just went back behind the corner again.

19. dba

Minor setback. It's easy to overlook the Wiz when you're concentrating on beating Jersey.

raxrets likes this.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What's a "stack overflow 3" ?