don't leave us, Ben

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Griffin, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

I don't care about your flaws. I don't care that you're bad at foul shooting. I don't care about your hot temper. I don't care about your stubborn nature, your unwillingness to accept certain realities. I don't care that you stayed on the bench in Orlando and I don't care that you questioned the coach publicly. I don't care that your numbers aren't what they used to be.

I don't care about any of it, because only one thing really matters. You - Ben Wallace - hold the identity of this team in your hands. And we need you to stay, for us, the ones who really understand that it all happens because of you. You are Detroit Basketball.

And I know there are problems.

Flip doesn't understand you. He's one of the bad guys, one of those shallow-minded types who can't see the true depth of your powers. And I don't know why you'd stay with a guy like him at the helm, I don't. I, personally, hate to watch him waste your talents. It was embarrassing seeing you on the bench throughout the final quarter of the season. It was some sort of basketball blasphemy.

But I know this: Joe Dumars does see that you are special. He knows that you make a good team a great team. He knows that you embody the working spirit of this old city in a way that no athlete, maybe ever, has ever reflected the city they play for. And whatever went wrong this season, believe me when I say that Joe will try to fix it. Because he knows that you're the key.

And so I implore you to stay right here. Even if means taking less money, I'm begging you, don't leave. Those other teams and those other cities will have their allures, and I don't blame you for being tempted. But those places won't understand you the way we do.

Your heart isn't in your chest. Its right here. In The D.

You are Detroit Basketball. Detroit Basketball is You.

So please, Ben, don't leave us here alone. Metropolis needs its Superman.

[​IMG]
  2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

good riddance if you leave ben. your ego killed us. our season took a terrible turn for the worse after your selfish act at the end of the orlando game. you didn't bring it in the playoffs and teams exploited you as our weakness. thanks for the memories though.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If we lose Ben you can say :wave:to next season.
  4. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Not really, I would expect Joe to be savvy enough to do a reasonable sign and trade if Ben happens to leave. Just for the sake of wild imagination, suppose you got KG (not going to happen) in return for Ben and another player/draft pick? The front court with KG and Sheed would be scary. Again, just a wild scenario but I am trying to make the point that it all depends on what the return is.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Like you said though that's not likely to happen though. Who would we get in return for him?
  6. anakin

Joe will have his work cut out trying to identify and put together good deals.
  7. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

this is not the point of this thread. just saying.

And can we Piston fans put a moratorium on the KG trade, please? Listen folks, it's been brought up time after time and is probably the least imaginative, least likely trade to ever happen. It must stop. As Pat "The Book" Caputo said last night, why not trade Delk for Amare Stoudemire while we're at it?
  8. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Sign me up for the Keep Ben Club. Yes, he struggled in the playoffs, and seemed to be as affected by the mysterious bad mojo as anyone (and as a team leader, you have to pin some of that on him). But when everything is clicking, Ben does so many things that are simply irreplaceable--steals, tip-outs, intimidation--things that relate to his ability to cover a huge area of the court and often don't show up on the stat sheet. He's starting on the downside of his career, but still only 31.

When the team chemistry is right, Ben is at his best. If the chemistry is not right, it won't matter who we have, because we'll just see more of the same uninspired play that brought everything crashing down this postseason.
  9. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I want to keep Ben, too, but I wonder if a reduced role is in his future? If so, how would he deal with that? Flip has reduced his role. I think most of us can agree on that.
  10. max

max All-Star

Its hard to get a good read on this. It appears that Ben wants to comeback, where else could his heart be ( post-game int ). He will be 32 next season. He has I would say 3 good years left and after that its going to get ugly because so much of his game is based on athletisism.

A max or near max 3-year deal would be ideal. If he is going for max 6 then its going to be a tough call and I don't think Dumars is going to do it. But will other teams? They usually overpay for youth. I also am not sure how much sitting out the ORL game and calling out his coach in the middle of the playoffs is going to hurt his value. And max players do not sit out 4th quarters in elimination games because of poor offense. I thought he should have been in there but other teams will note that he sat.

Personally I do not see some other team dishing out max money until he is 38. I think we will get it done on a shorter deal but who knows. Other GM's have shocked me before with elaborate contracts.

If Dumars does not get it done then he better have another young big lined up about ready for the breakout season like Ben was when we got him.
  11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I hope Ben does what will make him happiest and best-paid.
  12. anakin

I agree, Ben needs to take care of Ben and Joe needs to take care of the Pistons. Those paths may or may not converge.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So you are saying Chicago... :ohwell:
  14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

It amazes me how many people in this forum no very little about basketball. You watch this team and believe red jerseys make a difference. U watch this game and think these guys are just wind up dolls for our amusement. If u never played team sports ON ANY LEVEl, then all your doing is watching a show. When I go see XMen 3, and I want to see my favorite character "BEAST" be brought to life on the big screen, I dont think about whats goin thru Kelsey Grammars head, i want to see THe Beast! There was a lot of things Flip did this year that got into Ben's head. I spent 8 years in the Army, and I tried to be whatever the Army wanted me to be. But what I couldnt stand was having to work with lazy, selfish, aloof, whiney, talk-undre-your -breath, selfcentered, disrespectful idiots who got away with stuff while underminding leadership. Meanwhile, Im standing tall, looking good, uniform pressed, physically fit and doing the best I could "in spite of my weaknesses."

What the Orlando game showed Ben was that the leader we have here alienated the future of our franchise and Ben saw it everytime he looked at his young protege, Darko. He saw a coach who could not get teh best out of Darko "like he promised ". He saw a coach who took him out the game 'for more offense' and then he put him back in 'like a defensive shogun!'

Ben made his point to me when he didnt go FRO!. I saw "THE Grant hill" look of exodus in his eyes. Not because he quit on us, but its hard to play for a coach who ddint appreciate you. Say whay u want about LB, but the players got into playing for him. If LB just altered his massive ego" a lil ol bit" we'd be in the Finals 5 days ago.

As far as Ben staying, I hope he leaves. Every 20 years , this country has gotten in some war somewhere. Every 4/5 years , an NBA dynasty is ended,see San Antonio. Ben has earned the right to choose. When Hill decided Detroit was not for him, and left this teal-azz organization for dead, it was Ben that said "Im gonna do whatever I can to get us a win".

I'll never forget the ABC game vs Boston, when he got 22 rebounds..
    the block on Shaq's fadeaway in 2004 finals....the sledgehammer in the intros...the gong .....the bouncing off Lindsay during the lineups...the fro...the beauty of a man who at only 6'8' 225 lbs battled the biggest this leaque has to offer...and Won more than he lost....

The people who dont appreciate Ben are the same people:
    ...who only go to Tigers games during a pennant race
    ...never saw a game at the Olympia
    ....never gave a homeless person a few dollars
    ...dont remeber us wearing freekin teal!!
    ....would trade BEn over a malcontent like Sheed
    ...didnt appreciate what AD meant to the Bad Boys
    ...didnt shed a tear during 9-11 and thereafter
    ....dont appreciate love of all mankind!

Ben may stay or leave......but for any of us to dog him out is totally shameful..........I love u, Big Guy! BONG
    BONG
    GONG
    ...gone...............
  15. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

If Ben leaves, I hope we don't settle for another undersized center to replace him, like JMaxx. JMx will not be able to fill the bill because he would be competing with full-sized players during prime time, not the 'end-of-the-bench-players' that he has faced so far.

We need a good NBA center to replace Ben, even if he stays. Ben should come off the bench behind someone who can command respect, if not now, at least in the very near future.

We don't have anyone like that anymore; will have to go out and get one.
  16. anakin

HQ, what you are talking about happens in our jobs every day. You are stuck with teams of people who may or may not perform to expectations. What's so new about that? You voice your complaint through the chain of command, not in public. Don't know how you justify that, even if the intentions were good. Take it to Joe if Flip doesn't get the message. If that doesn't work, leave.
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Thats exactly what i am saying. We will never know how many times Ben went to flip and said "hay, this aint us" or " we need to play the bench'...we just dont know. I majored in social science in college and i one of my specialties was appearnces thru emotions. The look on Bens face and his reaction to certain things was that of a man who saw problems, mentioned them more tahn twice, and I heard flip's responses too. .."We'll be fine..we'll work it out'. Flip's personality and mannerisms was taht of a nervous coach. he never looked comfortable this year. ..
    what happened when:
    - Sheed showed up late for the Suns game/
    - Dice was supposed to start the suspended game
    - Ben didnt go in vs Orlando
    The coach lost his team, and I have lost my mind.

Summer of Sam, Pt 2..starring me
  18. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Brother HQ, Ben has been a great and inspirational player, and has been the heart and soul of this team. My favorite Piston. And the incident in the Orlando game does not change my opinion one iota. My concern is that his play in this year's playoffs did not match the brilliance he showed in the 2004 and 2005 playoff runs. The block and knockdown of Shaq was tremendous. I'd love to get a blowup of that block to hang on my wall. But his overall play seemed inconsistent, and while one can live with 40% free throw shooting, 20% can really hurt a team. Would you agree that Ben's playoff performance was off some this year (like that of every other Piston starter except Tay), and, if so, is age catching up with him or was was his attitude or intensity off? And if his attitude was off somewhat, was it because of dissatisfaction with his reduced offensive role, or anger at Flip, or something else?
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

THATS all i am saying...he was betrayed by the dark side of the force.