Dontrelle Willis is a Joke!

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Tha Locstah, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Could we have gotten a worse pitcher this past off-season? I would have rather kept one or two of those prospects and just gotten Cabrera by himself. Or we could have kept them all and left Dontrelle and Miguel in Florida!
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This topic belongs in the Tigers forum (click Forums, scroll down), not the Detroit Pistons General Discussion.

By the way, Dontrelle won 22 games a couple of years ago. There is some talent in there somewhere.
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Dontrelle Willis is not a joke. Is Verlander a joke? Is Nate Robinson a joke or Bonderman? All these guy's have had issues and they just have to work through them. You don't make it to the show and win 22 games if you suck.

What is the pitching coach doing to fix these young guy's issues? That's the issue here.

Dontrelle Willis is a class act. He is going down to the minors to work out his problems. How many big league guy's with big contracts go to the minors with a happy face on willing to do whatever the club wants?

Give the guy some slack.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He is obviously having mechanical issues + confidence issues. It won't do him any good to work it out in real ball games. He needs to be in the minors until he can hit his spots again.
  5. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

He is now in single A.
  6. Tha Locstah

22 games was three years ago.

He's making top coin and playing in single A. Your right, that isn't a joke because no one's laughing. :(
  7. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

It is no laughing matter you are right about that. If he can't get his act together he will likely become our left fielder. I hear he is good with a bat I don't know if he is good enough to the tune of $29 million though.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I actually thought about that the other day when I saw what his batting average is. That would be pretty cool if a pitcher converted into a real baseball player. He appears to still have arm strength, just not accuracy. So, LF would be OK on his arm.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well the Tigers have won three straight since Willis was sent down, so it must have scared a few players into stepping up their game fearing that they could be next no matter how much money the make. :sssh:
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You have heard of Rick Ankiel, right?
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah. And Babe Ruth too! If Dontrell becomes as useful as either one of those guys, it will be an improvement over the current situation.
  12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I believe that Dontrelle will find his way back. Nothing wrong with his arm. Needs to fix his mechanics. However, this is looking like a poor move by Dombrowski at this moment in time. Ilitch can't be pleased.
  13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

during the game yesterday or wed night they mentioned that sombody had talked to a catcher that had caught for him in the past and that his mechanics are so complicated and that if any one part is out of wack that the whole thing will be impossible to work. Maybe sending him down to A ball is a move to tear apart his mechanics from the ground up and build it back up... From the interviews I have heard from him he's got a good head on his shoulders and is a good guy. Anybody who isn't rooting for him to make it back just isn't a true fan of the game.
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    That move was initiated by Ilitch, so he can't be mad at anyone but himself.
  15. Tha Locstah

Alright! Ever heard of over-reacting? Maybe I could have been a little kinder in naming this thread but my point is he's making 24 million and playing in single A!!!!! I especially love it when other people try to judge who is and who isn't a "true fan of the game". I think even true fans can see that he has been a complete waist of the Tigers' resources.
  16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If i had been referring to you i would have quoted you, you never said you didn't want to see him turn himself around.... so wasn't talking about you or any "one" person... i was talking in broad terms saying anybody who is a fan would hope he can turn himself around for himself first and to help the team out 2nd.
  17. Tha Locstah

Agreed. I am all for him helping the team but he's a long way away from doing that.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

But why did he only do 1 or 2 games in the bully? And why didn't the team see he was a mess? We need a starter in the bully, it's so bad. Zooms control aint ready either.
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

But Dombrowski is in a position to talk Ilitch out of such things. Basically, they couldn't get Cabrera without taking Dontrelle. No reason to sign him to $29M over three years though.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am still waiting to hear the joke. Guys?