Draft Express preview Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 30, 2005.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

well we just don't see things the same way. joe is not hanging on to delfino just to fatten him up for trade bait. i'm sure joe is giving him a fair chance to show that it was lb not him causing the problems. i doubt the pistons do any trades this year. we are in fact too deep of a team already. the knock on delfino is his attitude not his game. if joe thought this guys attitude was going to be a problem he would have bought him out. why would joe bring a guy into camp and play him for half a season just to get him ready for a trade??? taking those valuable minutes of development away from our young guys. joe kept delfino because he thinks he has game even flip mentions delfino in his interview.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Remember how much LB talked up Chucky right before we traded him.
    Many folks were wondering why Chucky was getting so much PT even though he refused to go in the paint and was awful as a setup man... not to mention his shoddy defense (some of this may relate to him recovering from the leg injury).
    It was just enough to convince Ainge to swing the deal that landed us Sheed.
    Moral of the story... don't be fooled by everything coaches say about certain players or unwarranted PT being handed out early in the season... there could be other motives.

If Delfino steps up his defense, he's exactly what we need as a backup SF (I question his quickness at SG).
  3. bball jay

lb talks out the side of his neck . remember how much lb talked up darko saying he has to find more minutes for him. lb also talked up delfino said he could start on some teams in the nba then left him off the playoff roster. i don't think ainge was impressed by lb's words. comparing lb's words to flips words just don't get it with me. lb has no credibility i give flip some.

delfino will step up his defense because i think flip will play mostly zone with the second unit in there. delfino plays the passing lanes very well. he also does something with the rock once he actually makes the play on defense.
  4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Delfino did have his own agenda. When he first started playing here he thought he was the ishh!!! He was trying to ride on the bus with the starters and thought he was too good to be coming off of the bench. He needs to accept his role and be a peace with it. He is not going to be a starter unless an injury occurs.
  5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Over all I think we have a lot of depth but like the article said a lot of question marks. As far as the bench guy's go the young guy's don't seem to have bought in to the Pistons style of play. Perhaps Flip is going to change the style of play on offense and open it up a bit but I just hope he does not lose sight of what won us the Championship (DEFENSE)!!!!!!

LB's motto was if you don't play defense then you won't find yourself on the floor with playing time. I just hope Flip carries this same motto maybe not as strict as LB. If Flip lets these young guy's as well as some of the starters do what they want we may be in for a long season and a first round playoff exit if we are not too careful.
  6. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

All talk about Delfino

Believe me, if Delfino shows some heart I'd be the first to say "Keep him, Joe!" He just hasn't shown it yet, and maybe will have the chance to show it this season.

Yes, he was speaking out against a tyrant, but if I had to speak out against a tyrant, I'd speak for the whole team and not about my own playing time. My fellow bench scrubs like Darko, Dupree, Jenkins and the like. :nod:

If I'm not mistaken, I recall an article where Joe Dumars approached Delfino and asked him face to face after those articles of Delfino wanting out of Detroit, if he really did want out. Delfino said he was fine. Dumars left him a parting shot of you-know-my-number statement if he ever did want to be traded.

Yes, he would be great trade bait. But he is going to get the chance to fit into the team. If he doesn't, and this is even he shows he has that great a game as his pre-draft status, he will be out of here if he doesn't show he wants to be.
  7. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Joe's message

I recall Joe telling LB when he hired him that he (Joe) would take care of (I think his words were "nip in the bud") any problem or disruption.

Joe at the time was addressing LBs recent history of having to deal with AI. But I think this has been Joe's philosophy all along. His commitment to the players that he brings here is to maintain a winning atmosphere, and not subject guys who want to win to a bunch of foolishness.

Knowing all this, I really thought that Delfino would be gone. Turns out LB is the one who is gone. Delfino still could be gone as well, but it's interesting to note who is still here and who is not.

Let's hope that either Delfino is a real "Piston" or that Joe is able once again to make silk out of a sow's ear.
  8. bball jay

what agenda was that?? nobody has identified what his "agenda" was. unless you are saying this his agenda was to become a starter. i have no problem with a bench player aspiring to be in the starting lineup. i don't know where you get it that he was too good to be coming off the bench. he never said that and joe offered him a trade if he wanted out where he could become a starter. he didn't want that either. your only proof to back up him not accepting his role as a bench player is he rode the bus with the starters one day.

yes. he was a confident player when he came here. good thing lb tried to stomp every bit of that out of him. darko was young and just took it. delfino cussed lb out and that was one of my favorite moments of last season.
  9. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

I don't see Delfino as a sow's ear. My impression of him from Summer League was that he hustled and brought the ball up the court alot. He was very good at playing the lanes and was a stealing machine. He was not afraid to drive to the basket. He didn't look quick enough in face to face defense.(maybe he wasn't fully recovered from his injury at the time) But overall, I think he can fill a valuable role for the Pistons.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

With flip playing zone we don't have to worry as much about his defense which is good because when we played man to man he couldn't keep up with his guy. He still needs to improve in defense though, but offensively he shows lots of talent.