Draft Grades

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Brap

Brap Starter

Stuckey's very strong with the ball in his hands - he's an outstanding ball handler, as good as Billups used to be for us in that department.

What we don't know yet is his skill level in running an offense. We simply can't know that (either way) because he's played for 3 coaches in his 3 years in the league, and because the year before he had to "lead" his team with AfrigginI on it (who totally poisoned the water) and last year he played on a team that was crippled by injuries to its main scorers the entire season.

Assuming we aren't crippled up again, we'll be much advanced compared to where we were in yr 1 of our offense, the rookies from last season will be much improved, and Stuckey will have his first real opportunity to show the growth of his leadership. There are still problems we'll have to deal with, which means that Stuckey will still have to contend with all of this and he might get the blame for when the team doesn't look good amidst all this potential chaos:

1) Tay will likely be traded at some point in the season. So might
    Rip.

2) The team ID has still not been established. What is the pecking order for the shots, or are we building a team where any of 5-7 guys are THE main 2 scorers in any particular game - like the 2004-2008 teams? Will Gordon and Rip play together. Will Tay take over and slow down the whole damn offense or will Stuckey (and Bynum) finally have teammates around him who will play up-tempo? Will Daye start taking over games at times. Will Summers emerge. Hell, will White force his way into the lineup and end up displacing Bynum? (White is a major potential wild card because he, like Stuckey, is incredibly gifted athletically and is a big guard as well).

3) Monroe's addition, potentially changes everything, since a lot of the offense will eventually flow through him, given he's one of the best passing big men on the planet. That means that the offense could be drastically altered. It might also mean that while the offense now has incredible potential versatility (Daye, Tay, JJ, Monroe, Stuckey, Bynum and, someday, if he makes it, White - can all run the show and pass the rock), since this is all new and young, it'll likely take significant time for us to approach being a well oiled machine.

2010-2011 could well be a year of guys emerging, and jockeying for position as various team roles are up for grabs. And when we trade Tay, that might all change again - because we'll be trading him for a signficant asset. And who we draft in 2011, could change things significantly again. And who we get for Rip in 2012 (trade deadline) could change it all significantly again.

I anticipate a lot of heated discussions around these parts as Joe D engages in team building. I just hope the sale of the team doesn't result in Joe being replaced and someone new coming in with a different vision. I think as it is, we've accumulated a lot of great team building assets. I'd hate starting over.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm not trying to nitpick, but substituting great with outstanding I still think is a huge stretch. Outstanding compared to whom?

He doesn't make passing plays. He is a low turnover guy because he is strong on the dribble and calls his own number a lot.

Will Bynum is an outstanding ball handler.

3. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Didn't Will turn the ball over more then Stuck last year? It seemed to me he was prone to dribbling the ball away alot last year?

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I already had them in....they were best team the Lakers faced in the post season other than the Celtics, and believe me after they tied the series at 2-2, over confident Laker fans were more scared about this team than they were about the old the Celtics....

OKC should be a top 4 seed next season.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yep. And they got Cole Aldrich, who I'm not a big fan of, but he adds some much needed size.

Collison, one of their big men, is a solid player and role model for the players on OKC but if he would have boxed out on Gasol's gamewinning put back that series goes 7 games and a possible upset could have occurred.

Aldrich should be able to help on the glass. And once those guys hit the glass they go sprinting down the other end for a quick score. I like their team. There GM is reportedly not a big free agent guy. He wants to build a team through drafting, trading, and developing. Its nice to see. If theirs a team, besides the Pistons, that I would like to see do well its those guys.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In the back of the Lakers minds, they should realize that the missed box out by Collison was the key to them getting the ring.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yeah and the Ron Artest game winner in Game 5 against the Suns too. Imagine if Phoenix would have stolen that game in OT and went back to Phoenix up 3-2? That team was older and not as talented as in years past, but they had better unity and leadership than ever before.

(I really don't like DAntoni as a coach. He only cares about offense and has a 7 man rotation. That doesn't help a team win. I became a huge fan of Gentry over the course of the playoffs.