1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

DRAFT NEEDS: 4 Upcoming Picks, will they get a chance to play

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 24, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What are our needs for the future? Four picks in a deep draft, do we draft for now or for later? With a high potential draft pick (from Orlando), should we grab a center, then a PG with our own pick?

A guy drafted high in the draft will want to play. Where will our current starting five + Dice fit in next year?

Who goes and who stays?

Heck, we cannot even fit some playing time in for our current youngsters and with four more + Samb & Acker it's gonna be tough.

Joe will have to clear out some of our veterans if these guys are to be our cornerstone for the future.

I think we need to nab a center and a back-up Pg. In the 2nd round we should be able to get a couple of quality players, however Joe may trade these two picks for another late first rounder.

Subtractions next year: Hunter, Muhammed, Dupe, Flip M, Blaylock, Davis and maybe Dice.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

IMO, we will need to get an 'heir apparent' PG and not a backup. I think the best PG in the upcoming draft is Acie Law. Considering our youth, i think it would be ok to try to deal both picks in order to move up. We won't have the time to play all those youngsters

I know we are jammed up front but i think we should trot out amir. I would like to depend on him next year.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm still holding out for Mustafa Shakur at PG.

4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Thats our 2nd rounder.

5. armygirl

The best big man that will drop to us with the Orlando pick would be Hibbert out of Gtown. Also love Chalmers out of Kansas.

6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

trade the picks. nobody is going to get a chance in the pistons uniform until joe decides we are in mini rebuilding mode. i think it's clear that jmax can play yet he's dropped out of the rotation. it isn't about earning time with the pistons.

why even draft??

7. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I'm with Jay on this one. NO ONE DRAFTED BY THE PISTONS since the 2002 draft (tayshaun) has had an impact on the Pistons. They refuse to develop players. Why have the picks?

They can't earn PT because they aren't 30 year old vets yet.

Only thing good about picks is that they can be used as leverage in trading scenarios.

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Because you can trade them, which is what the pistons will do. The higher picks (under 10) may have some chances to start, but they will not get to start for the real contenders.

9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Our roster is loaded as it is. I see two open spots, FlipM and one other (Dupree?). Nazr could also be packaged with a pick on a "2-fer" move. I ain't so hasty to bust up the core vets that's keepin our window open. OTOH, we will have room for a couple of rooks (at least) next year.

As for next year's rookies, I don't think we necessarily need a pure PG. Besides, I'd like to see how much Blalock can improve over the summer. A nice combo guard who can score will do. Javaris Crittenton and Rodney Stucky come to mind.

I'm also thinking center for one of our picks. There ought to be a couple of relatively good ones available late. Sean Williams and Kyle Visser come to mind. Plus I believe Randolph Morris can be had as a FA next year, since he's barred from the draft.

Can't see how we can go wrong (again) with this draft. Whoever we draft outta be prepared to be "developed."

10. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Joe is as crafty as Bill Belichek of the Pats. He has said a couple of times when the bigs can't produce, time to move on. He's seen what happened to the Celtics with Bird getting old. And now look at them.

We need a youth movement to some degree, but topnotch, not Mr Irrelevants at the end of the draft.

Not sure how NBA draft picks go (I'm more understanding of NFL picks), but packaging them for one or two high picks would be best for the future. Of course, y'all know the names better than I do. Our backcourt looks good for a few more years. Tay is certainly solid. But Webber and Sheed are at the end of their careers. Darko should have been a replacement---looks like he's turned out to be more a bench player to me. You always should have a couple of veterans on the bench like DDavis. My point is get 2 bigs that can start in 2 years this draft.

11. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I want to see us draft, we really need a young big man, a legit 6'11 - 7'0 footer we can develop, all our big's are getting on, and apart from Cheick Samb (who I'm not convinced about) we have nothing in place for the future. If we can get some one like Roy Hibbert or Aaron Gray, I'd be happy.

12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

we usually stash them on the bench or nbdl and let thier trade value drop. the pistons often lose young players to free agency or just waive them. i don't recall the pistons trading a young good player for a decent return on the investment.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rodney White - 1st round pick (and players). First round pick used in Sheed trade, became Josh Smith.

Mateen Cleaves - Jon Barry and 1st round pick, became Carlos Delfino.

14. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

How about Drew Neitzel? I like his game. Local guy, too.

15. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

JMax is characteristic of the problem not the solution.

The Pistons play defense. They are still a defensive orientated team even though their offense is better with C-Webb than it has been before.

When it comes to crunch time defense is what gets it done. In Orlando the other night they put the screws on the Magic in the beginning of the 4th quarter enabling the Pistons to open up the lead and eventually win.

JMax' defense is not up to Piston' standards. I think part of that problem is that he is a tweener which is okay on offense but bad on defense. He is too short to guard the power forwards, especially those that post up and he is too slow to guard the shooting forwards.

The rookies don't play for the Pistons because their defensive skills are lacking. The truth of the matter is, is that it is darn difficult to find a guy in the draft who can play quality Piston type defense and be a contributor on the offensive end.

Hunter has survived in his second trip with the Pistons because of his defensive skills and 3 point shooting (He is still dangerous, especially when he gets hot).

To find a guy who was a star player in college who plays defense, scores and fits in by playing unselfishly is no easy task. It isn't even easy when it comes to making trades.

Most people look at a guys offense and think, man that guy would be great for the Pistons. The problem is that they don't look at his defense and his ability to fit in chemistry wise.

Delfino is now getting major minutes off the bench because of his defense and hustle, not because of his offense, even though it has improved measurably this year.

Amir is not playing not because he wouldn't score, which he would given the minutes, but because his defense at this point is not up to Piston standards.

:hoops:

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Great post! :thumb:

17. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Thanks
    :hoops:

18. linwood

linwood All-Star

I've been following Drew in the papers. The kid looks very impressive lately. I wonder if his game will transition well to the NBA.

19. armygirl

I agree with you also on a few of your points. However, how long can you go without some hands on OJT for these guys. They will never learn pistons style defense unless they actually get some time in game time situations.

Sheed and the gang will be 50 years old in basketball years and we will still have an under developed bench. Not only that, free agents will not pursue coming to detroit as an option due to the lack of playing time.

At some point you have to take a short step back, certainly we may go a year or two without going to the NBA finals, however, I continue to think that with a good coach in place, we undoubtedly can develop the youngsters, incorporate them into our defensive schemes without losing a beat.

20. pistonsin6

pistonsin6 First Round Draft Pick

I think that the closest guy to the one your describing in this years draft is Acie Law, Acie Law is coming from the best defensive clubs in the nation, and that is Texas A&M. Gillespie hangs his hat on defense and it is always somthing he stresses, and because of that Acie Law plays good defense well and it will be easier to get him to play defense better on an NBA level.

He is unselfish, in game play he normally gets his teammates involved early and if they are in a bind it becomes Acie Law time and he completly takes over and scored. He outscores opposing teams in the final 5 minutes of the game. He is extremely clutch and mentally tough.

We need a PG, and I think that Acie Law would be the best fit, and I honestly see him getting playing time off the bench in front of Blalock, if we draft him.