DRAFT NEEDS: 4 Upcoming Picks, will they get a chance to play

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 24, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

You could be totally correct and your points are also well presented by other posters.

However, to me I just try and enjoy sports as an in the moment thing without worrying about the future of my favorite teams, especially when I have no control over it. I only worry and fret about things in my life which I have "some" control over, like what munchies to eat while watching today's Pistons/Bulls game. LOL
    :hoops:
  2. tpaPistonFan

tpaPistonFan First Round Draft Pick

I don't understand why so many of you are down on the Pistons ability to develop youth. You can only develop players with talent and so far we have done a decent job over the last 5 years. Okur and Prince both are playing great bball and yes Okur did leave, but at the time we didn't have the money to pay for him unless we were willing to let Sheed go. When you consider the facts; we went to the finals the following year and had the best Piston record ever last year it was the right BUSINESS decision. Fast forward to this season, both Delfino and JMax are getting minutes and each of them are bringing something. Flip can only develop 1 or 2 players a season, we are championship contenders not the Boston Celtics (and look at where they are)..
    If you want to win championships you NEED key veteran players.. If you don't believe me, let's take a look at the last couple of champions. The Heat, the Spurs and Pistons all did it with veteran players at key positions. Look at your competition this year, the Mavericks and the Suns. Without Nash, the Suns don't stand a chance.. He is the KEY veteran they need to do anything without him Amare and the rest of the team is average. In the case of the Suns, I don't even know if it matters because they are not a team built to win in the playoffs. The Mavericks have 5 key veterans Terry, Stackhouse, Dirk, DGeorge and Dampier. We have 6 key veterans, Billups, Rip, Sheed, Webber, Dice and Hunter.
    I agree the Pistons need to continue to develop their youth, but as long as they are a championship caliber team I expect them only to develop 1 or 2 players a year. I am hoping that Amir gets his chance and that we get lucky and end up with Law in this year's draft.

At the end of the day it is a BUSINESS and making money is the NUMBER 1 Priority. When the Pistons win, people buy tickets and merchandise. Since they also own the Arena a sell out means for hot dogs, sodas and beer sold. Which means more MONEY!!!. Pretty sound business plan if you ask me.. Joe D could work for me anytime if the profits increase year over year (which seems to be the case in regards to Pistons since he took over as GM).

On a different note, I expect Amir to be a very similar to T Thomas from the Bulls.
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree with 1 or 2 developing players. The problem was the previous years where we had none. I think we are the most veteran dependent team vying for the title. Maybe that is why Maxiell stands out so much...he has that youthful athleticism. IMO, you need a combo of high draft veterans (60%), developed youth (20%) and 2nd/ late 1st round steals (20%). However they managed to end up on your team.

Its hard to get developing players from other teams so its important that you do as much as you can to get the most out of your pick...even if you trade him for someone.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is part of the frustration. If you take the full length of the contract to develop the youth, then you don't get to utilize their talents for cheap. You either spent all that time training them for someone else, or you will have to pay them real money.

When you get an 18 year old, it may be necessary to ease them into it. But a guy like Max should be NBA ready after 4 years in college. Get him on the floor and let him over-achieve for a couple years. Then if we lose him, at least we benefitted from it.

As much as I wish Acker were playing for us now, I'm glad he's not rotting away on the bench. When we get him back, he should get PT.
  5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Perfect take for our 2nd pick. Drew would be the perfect fit for this team, right now. First he'll be the perfect backup for CB. Not starter talent, or (in Flip M's case) thinks he has starter talent. I see him fitting in like Delfino is starting to. Coming in, for brief stints, and just getting the job done, but unlike CD, the boy can score.

Also, should CB leave, he provides a stopgap until we can get an elite PG.
  6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

This is a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. We've got a RING and a few EC Championships to show for the "previous years." I thought that was the general idea.

Drafting two busts (White, Darko) don't mean we can't "develop players." Do we get a trophy for "developing" players?

I disagree. It's exactly the opposite. The draft is a crap shoot. FAs are the real thing. That's why contenders are mostly built through acquisitions. 1 or 2 players/year sounds about right.

BTW, thumbs up on Acie Law!
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'll agree that you can "develop" your way right out of the playoffs...
    It looks like Delfino & Maxiell are on the fast track now (doesn't mean that they can't be benched for lack of production).
    I would anticipate Amir getting some PT while Mr. 1-4-3 sits with his techs.
    That would be a solid year of bringing along the youth.
    Two developies per year is a good mix for a team that has 3 or 4 guys in their early 30's.... next year could be Amir & Acker (or a rookie).
  8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Look at the top teams in the west. They've done it through both drafts and FAs. Look at San Antonio. They were good before us, and they are better now.

The reality is all Darko needed was 5 or 10 mpg to start, and then as he developed, more minutes. No team, capable of winning a title, is going to be hurt in the regular season by playing a rook 5 or 10 minutes a game.

Now, with 2 picks in a deep draft, the question is have we learned from our mistakes. If Detroit plans on sitting our picks on their butts until their next contract comes up, then Joe should trade the picks on draft day. Otherwise, pick em, GIVE EM PT and let them develop.