Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Topic #1: Trey Burke. I L-O-V-E, love Trey Burke. LOVE him. I think he's going to be a great NBA starting point-guard. He might never get to Chris Paul's level, but I think he's going to be an all-star, or at least a borderline all-star / top 50 player. For some reason, he's currently only projected as the #25 overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft by nbadraft.net; and he wasn't even projected to be a first round pick in the 2012 NBA draft. I don't get it!? I'm a die-hard Michigan fan, so I'm a little worried that my personal bias is causing me to see something that's not there - and I'd like to hear some feedback from other posters on him.

People think that he's too small? He's 6-0, 185 (w/ a 6-5 wing-span). Which, of course, means that he's almost the exact same size as CP3 (but heavier - stronger - and with a longer wing-span). I think he's as quick and fast as any point guard currently in the NBA, outside of Nate Robinson - who's just a complete freak. He handles the ball as well at full-speed as anyone I've ever seen, outside of Derrick Rose - who, again, is just a complete freak in that regard. He's one of the best ball-handlers I've ever seen. He seems to have the ability to go wherever he wants to on the court without the threat of being ripped - I've actually never seen anyone with equal ability in that regard. He's incredible absorbing contact, making awkward shots, and getting tough points around the rim when his team needs him to. He's one of the best outside shooters in the nation. He's so quick, and such a threat to drive, that he can create space for mid-range jumpers as well as anyone in the nation. Even though he's small, he's so quick and strong - and dedicated - that he's a great defender as well. Though he's never had to go up against a truly elite point guard, I've never seen anyone get the best of him on offense. The intangibles are off the charts as well. He's an incredibl[FONT=Calibri]y hard worker - his improvement over the last two [FONT=Calibri]years, from a lowl[FONT=Calibri]y regarded 3-star prospect to what we see toda[FONT=Calibri]y, is just flat out insane. He's put on so much muscle mass too. He's a great kid, comes from a great famil[FONT=Calibri]y, never gets into real trouble (Beilein suspended him for a pre-season game this season, due to something harmless I'm sure). He's an incredible leader and teammate - he was the man from da[FONT=Calibri]y one as a true freshman last season; all his teammates liked and respected him..followed him. And he's at his best when it matters most. A trul[FONT=Calibri]y clutch pla[FONT=Calibri]yer. End of games or whenever the rest of the team goes cold, he steps it up, carries his team, and gets done what needs to get done. Such a smart pla[FONT=Calibri]yer and manager of the offense as well. Alwa[FONT=Calibri]ys makes the right pass. A true, true-point-guard.

Brandon Knight is not a true-point guard. There's a lot of potential to like about Knight - and he's a great kid too. He could end up being a borderline all-star / top 50 pla[FONT=Calibri]yer. But, I like Burke a lot more. He's a better manager of the offense. He's a better ball-handler. He's a better passer. He's better attacking the rim. He's better shooting outside. He's better shooting mid-range. He's a better defender. He'd be an incredible pick-and-roll partner with Drummond and Monroe. He's a better athlete than Knight; and much better in transition. In fact, the onl[FONT=Calibri]y area where I think Knight is better is dunking..which, who cares.

Now, if Burke somehow miraculousl[FONT=Calibri]y is available in the 20's, we've GOT to trade up from the second to get him. It's an inexpensive move, shouldn't require us to give up an[FONT=Calibri]ything we wouldn't mind parting with. If he's a lotter[FONT=Calibri]y pick, as I expect him to be, we might need to give up something more significant. Drummond, Monroe, and a top-10 unprotected future pick are the onl[FONT=Calibri]y things I'm not willing to part with. I wonder if a deal structured around Knight would be enough to get him?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

The thing with Burke is that he's a Michigan product, and if you're a Michigan fan, it taints your assessment of him: "Beilein suspended him for a pre-season game this season, due to something harmless I'm sure." How do you know it's harmless?

It's human nature to overvalue the guys you've followed, but you have to be reasonable, too. I always get burned with I fantasy draft Lions (Titus Young, blech), or get excited about basketball players coming from my schools (Mateen Cleaves). You have to temper your enthusiasm.

The reality is that if they drafted him, they'd be starting both him and Knight in the backcourt, and that's a SMALL backcourt. Now, with Drummond protecting the paint, it's a possibility, but I think those two would be a liability on defense. On a defense-first team, that's not what you want.

3. blueadams

Topic #2: Brandon Knight's trade potential. Kind of a run-off of topic #1. If we need to acquire a lottery pick in order to get Burke, is a deal structured around Knight (without giving up Drummond, Monroe and a future top10 unprotected pick) to get one possible? If we don't need a lottery pick to get Burke, then we can get a little more creative. What level of NBA player do you think we could get for him? I don't think Knight's a good enough scorer to make it as a starting two-guard in the league, nor a good enough defender.

Topic #3: 2013 Draft Pick Prospects (aside from Burke). We've got a great 5 in Drummond. We've got a great 4 in Monroe. We've got a solid 1 in Knight (potentially a great one in Burke, if we can manage to get him). As I've stated previously, we need to be talking about someone who's a legit #1 or #2 scorer on a championship-level team here. It'd be great if we can get someone who's great defensively as well, and a good citizen to boot. Scoring ability is of course king as far as I'm concerned though.

Blake McLemore. I've never watched him play a full-game. But, based on the reports I've heard from people I respect who have, on the reports I've read, and on the highlights I've seen - he's #1 on my wish list. Super athlete and a super outside shooter. Has drawn comparisions to Ray Allen (that good of a shooter!). Is thought to be quite solid defensively and character-wise. I think he's perfect. But we'll probably need a top three pick to get him.

Shabazz Muhammad. I saw his first game at UCLA, and he didn't really stand out honestly. He's slipped from the #2 projected pick to #4; so I'm guessing that others have felt the same. I don't want to put too much weight into that game though. The prospect reports are very positive. Not a great shooter - which I hate - but that seems to be the only thing he's not great at. Potentially someone who could guard against LeBron well. Probably #2 on my wish list.

Marcus Smart. Combo guard. Little short for a two, but plent[FONT=Calibri]y strong - like 230 I think. Great all-around scorer, including shooting. Reall[FONT=Calibri]y known for his competitiveness, which I love. Probabl[FONT=Calibri]y #3 on m[FONT=Calibri]y list - would be #2 if he was a little bigger. I'd love to have him either wa[FONT=Calibri]y.

That's honestl[FONT=Calibri]y about it for m[FONT=Calibri]y true wish-list at this point. I'm not sure an[FONT=Calibri]yone else could fit the bill in terms of being a #1 or #2 scorer. Probabl[FONT=Calibri]y going to need a top five or six pick to get one of the three - reall[FONT=Calibri]y hope we can.

[U][B]Topic #4: 2013 Free Agent Prospects. [/B][/U] [FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri]

Starting 2 or 3? Like I said above, what I'm looking for here is someone who can be a #1 or #2 scorer on a championship-level team. Someone who's alright defensivel[FONT=Calibri]y. Someone who's a good citizen. Is there a perfect solution on the FA market? For us, of course not. But there is JOSH SMITH. He's a little older than [FONT=Calibri]you'd like, but he's still under 30. He's gonna demand a max contract to come here, and he doesn't deserve it - but beggars can't be choosers. He's more of a 4 than a 3, but he can pla[FONT=Calibri]y the 3, and he is the best anti-LeBron in the league - which we'll need to compete for real. Besides, even though I want him gone, Prince can still pla[FONT=Calibri]y the 3, letting J-Smith bump to the 4. Might as well go for it.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Backup Big Man. What am I looking for here? A veteran. Someone who knows the game, and how to pla[FONT=Calibri]y the position - offensivel[FONT=Calibri]y and defensivel[FONT=Calibri]y - well. Someone who can teach Drummond and Monroe how to do the same. A hard-worker, great leader, team pla[FONT=Calibri]yer, intangibles, etc. gu[FONT=Calibri]y. I don't think Jason Maxiel fits that bill. He might not be the PERFECT option - but I think that CHRIS KAMAN might be our best option here.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Backup Point Guard. What am I looking for here? A veteran. Someone who knows the game, and how to pla[FONT=Calibri]y the position, well. Someone who can teach Knight - or I hope, Burke - how to do the same. A hard-worker, great leader, team pla[FONT=Calibri]yer, intangibles, etc. gu[FONT=Calibri]y. I don't think Will B[FONT=Calibri]ynum fits that bill. [/FONT]CHAUNCE[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=#000000]Y BILLUPS would be the perfect addition. Would he forgive JoeD for trading him enough to come back? That's the question. I honestl[FONT=Calibri]y don't reall[FONT=Calibri]y see another great option - so I guess he'll have to do.[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][U][B]Topic #5: 2013 Team?[/B][/U] How good could we be? Thinking about it..

C: A. Drummond, C. Kaman, V. Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe, J. Jerebko
    SF: J. Smith, T. Prince, K. Singler, K. Middleton
    SG: B. McLemore, R. Stucke[FONT=Calibri]y, K. English[/FONT]
    PG: T. Burke, C. Billups

That's a damned solid team IMO. And it's damned realistic too. I think we'd have the 2nd best team in the East. Perhaps we could even compete with the Heat in time..[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

4. blueadams

Trust me, if he did something serious, Beilein would've suspended him for more than one pre-season game. He runs a tight ship. He suspended his best player - Manny Harris - for a CRITICAL Big Ten Tournament game at the end of our season two years ago for getting into it with a walk-on during a scrimmage in practice. I'm guessing that Burke just was late or missed an appointment with a tutor or something.

I was never an MSU fan - but I did love Cleaves, and I did love watching that special team you had up there. I actually watched most of their games that season. But I knew he wasn't going to make it in the NBA because of his shot. I thought we should've tried to get Crawford instead. I've looked as hard and objectively as I can, but I just see absolutely nothing that's going to prevent Burke from being a top 50 NBA player.

I think we'd need to trade Knight in order to get Burke. If we didn't, then we'd probably move Knight shortly thereafter.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons are currently on pace to select approximately 5th in the 2013 NBA draft. Burke is scheduled to be drafted about 25th.

If the Pistons were to draft a Michigan guy, Glenn Robinson probably makes more sense.

6. blueadams

Right, I know I wrote too long of a post, so you probably missed it - but I was talking about trading up from the second to get Burke, possibly parting with Knight if necessary.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Trade Stuckey and perhaps I'm with you.

8. blueadams

Sure. If he's enough. I'd rather have Knight off the bench as a combo guard than Rod

9. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What had Stuckey done to make fans irate so ?

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good question. I like his aggression.

11. blueadams

I just said I'd rather keep Knight than him, if given the choice. Would you?

12. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I've focus on if they could co-exist and get each other better, so sorry I don't have an answer.

13. blueadams

lol. well try focusing on trading one of them to get Trey Burke

14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Give Stuckey and Knight 5 more seasons to get the chemistry right.

KGREG likes this.
  15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is straight-up thinking.

16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Two fold. First, the historical role involved with trades and the confidence role that the GM assumed he would assimilate from the droppings of the latter's holy water. This goes along with the luggage rack of infinite and circular parades of the last suitcase (coach) left standing by their lonesome self. Make no mistake, throughout all this turmoil (of which he was part of) he underwent the assumed and baptized historical lineage of the pope's favorite slippers. Second, after all these assumptions and current wide-eyed realism of bottom dwelling; you had his unexpected and personalized announcement that his niche was the lesser of two evils: off the bench...where less critical views would be no longer forthcoming and the neat-tiny summation that even those millions of synapses floating in his mind-set of expected talent advancement...would be modified by his internal justification... that JD and Piston fans can't buy me love.

brofmfa likes this.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Stuckey's lack of 3-pt shooting is getting tougher and tougher to overcome.

In my fictitious team where Drummond and Monroe are inseparable I want guys who can shoot 3's at every other spot. He could backup Knight at the point on the team that doesn't exist.

18. Mogilny

Who'd you pick in this draft if Kobe, Shaq and James were available?

19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If were going on todays skill set.... James, Kobe, Shaq

If we go via there Prime? Shaq, Kobe, James

20. Mogilny

They are all at the stage the were when drafted and their careers will be whatever the Pistons can make of them.