Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's still trying to unwind the mistakes that he made after Hammond initially left. He's on his 3rd coach.

Has Joe traded a single player since Hammond left?

The only good thing that he has done was to draft the guys who fell to us in the 1st rounds. Even though they were no-brainers, he still made the right calls.

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Here's a DBB article related to this thread:
    SB Nation Free Agent Day: Detroit Pistons look ahead - Detroit Bad Boys

The names mentioned are:
    Darren Collison
    Jose Calderon
    Jarrett Jack
    Scott Machado
    Brendon Wright
    JJ Hickson
    Andray Blatche
    Tiago Splitter

The guy wraps it up by saying that a good summer would be to sigh Calderon or Jack, and Brendon Wright. I would tend to agree with that if our primary FA targets are PG and PF. But, I really think our most pressing need is a stud wingman.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think their most pressing need is a new coach. 4 days off didn't seem to give Frank any new ideas for how to get Drummond on the floor more.

4. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I really don't want to see Detroit spend money on Jarrett Jack or Brendan Wright.

Personally, I don't like Calderon either, but if he is coming cheap (no more than 6 million per year and a contract for 2 or 3 years) I wouldn't have any issues.

This is our team the 1st of july if Joe doesn't resign anyone

Free agents targets:

Josh Smith - I know he's hard to get and it won't be cheap, but the majority of us, Pistons fans, are craving for him for years now. Just to think in a froncourt of him, Monroe and Drummond makes me drool. (In a good way..)

Then, It's hard to say right now what holes do will have to fill, I mean, if Dumars resigns Maxiell and Bynum, I don't see a need to go to the free agency pool looking for a Point Guard or a back up Power Forward.

To be honest with you, I would try to acquire Josh Smith, if that can't be done, then i would resign Maxiell (I can't believe i'm saying this) Daye, Bynum but ONLY and ONLY for 1 year. If they don't agree, then we'll see who can we get.

At the failure of signing Smith, I wouldn't go out there spending money just to "shake things up".. I would save the money for '14 Free agency class.

Draft:

Shabazz Muhammad is for me the best player this draft and it would be awesome in a Pistons jersey, but we are not going to win the lottery, so with a possible 7th to 12th pick I can't really see any good talent out there that can change our franchise.. but maybe a role player can be acquired.

Now, with no particular order..

Guards: Ben McLemore - Archie Goodwin - Michael Carter-Williams - Marcus Smart (I really like this last two)

Forwards: Otto Porter - Anthony Bennet - Alex Poythress - James McAdoo - Tony Mitchell (I never saw him play but I saw him in a lot of mock drafts as a lottery pick)

Centers: (A lot) - Cody Zeller (almost impossible) - Alex Len - Nerlens Noel (I wouldn't mind draft him but i rather get a Guard or a Forward instead of him) - Isaiah Austin (Another one that I never watched)

I put there 12 names, 13 including Muhammad, so, getting any one of those would be a little upgrade to our roster. (I prefer Michael Carter-Williams or Marcus Smart, but any other is good too.. at least at this date)

Trades:

Making a trade is really hard right now, we don't have nothing that other teams want. I don't see us doing an important trade until july, at least.

5. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'd love to see a scoring lineup with Calderon, Singler, Daye, Villanueva, and Drummond. That would be fun to watch.

6. Walter

None of those trades gets me excited either, but remember that the caveat of the article was that we don't resign any of our FAs. In that scenario both Jack & Calderon would be an upgrade over Bynum, and Wright would be a slight upgrade over Maxiell.

Smith is a good target, but we have about as much chance of signing him as signing CP3.

I disagree that we don't have anything that other teams would want. We have a ton of expiring contracts and young talent. I think that Moose, Drummond, Knight, Prince, Stuckey and JJ have trade value and English & TRG can be thrown in as a sweetener. It's what you get in return that's the problem. I'm sure that Joe D. can easily swing a trade for Rudy Gay for instance, but who would want that albatross of a contract?

7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Machado is interesting, but no one else there is. I would personally rather we get rid of stuckey and try and get someone like Kyle Korver - a career 40% 3pt shooter.

The combo guard experiment must be considered over by now.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

But how are his lateral moves?

9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

out of this bunch, Calderon or Collison seem to be good adds, definetely better players than Knight. Blatche could be a decent 3rd big. However, as already stated above, the most pressing need is for the coach to somehow get Drummond his minutes, no matter how.

10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

except for Brandon Knight maybe; Faried, Kemba Walker, Klay Thompson, Marshon Brooks, Chandler Parsons, Markieff Morris, and Kahwi Leonard were all drafter after him and are arguably better players...

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe traded Ben Gordon away.

12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I still think that Joe should be considered for the NBA Executive of the Year award for that one.

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Still needs to get rid of Stuckey, Prince, Maxiel, and the Bucket of Talent (BoT).

14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I can live with Max for the rest of the year.
    Charlie is a hard-sell so I don't expect to see him gone.
    If Joe were somehow able to trade Stuckey and Prince in anything resembling a deal where we don't take back a poop contract that lasts beyond this season; I'd simply forgive him for the last 4 seasons and give him a clean slate.

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In Joe's first year, he dumped very bad contracts of two very useless slugs (Loy Vaught, Christian Laettner). I know he can do it.

16. Walter

I disagree with that with the exception of Faried & Leonard. The rest are, IMHO, either about the same or worse than Knight. And Kawhi became the player he is today because of the really good played development system in San Antonio. He wouldn't be the player he is today on any other team.

We really missed out on Faried though. I get goose bumps dreaming about a Faried-Monroe-Drummond frontcourt.

17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow. Seriously? I don't agree.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Calderon is a clear upgrade over Knight, today, but dude just turned 31, not a good move. Collison and Brandon Knight are essentially the same player.

19. Walter

I viewed that FA signing as upgrading Bynum to Calderon by letting Bynum just walk. We'd still keep Knight in that scenario.

20. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Where are we playing Monroe in that system? Also, Faried would have been a reach, he has just played out well.

That would be the absolute paint clogger. And it really just sounds turrible. Although there would be a lot of sweet put backs. I could live with that part.

You are right about SA though, what other team could make Boris Diaw useful?