1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

A big, WHAT IF:
    If Orlando gets the #1 pick, do they select Noel when they already have Vucevic and Nicholson? Now if they select Ben McClemore instead, is Arron Afflalo available via trade? If Alf is available via trade, what would it take to get him? Maybe Brandon Knight and Jonas? Or better yet, IF we're picking in that 7,8,9 slot.......trade the Pick, Brandon Knight and Stuckey for Alf; and then amnesty BoT! Total Cap space after all of that: $45M.
    Now I'm thinking.......I'd actually go after CHRIS PAUL!!! And attempt to do the following:

• Sign Chris Paul for $17.5M/yr for 4 years
    • David West, $9M/yr for 3 years
    • Igoudala, $12M/year for 4 years
    • Re-up Will Bynum for about $3.5M/yr for 2 years.

PG: Chris Paul / Will Bynum
    SG: Arron Afflalo / English
    SF: Andre Igoudala / Singler / Middleton
    PF: Greg Monroe / David West / Jonas
    C: Andre Drummond / TRG
    Sign our 2 2nd rd draft picks- Pick 2: Alex Abrines, Tim Hardaway Jr, Desean Thomas or Ryan Kelly.

Disclaimer: :burp:

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This part I will agree with.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I totally agree. Big front court, quick backcourt with handles seems like an exciting combination. I would resign Bynum without hesitation.

pass99 likes this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Between his transition and his play inside of 10 feet he could easily be a number 1.

Problem is, he takes so many damn 20 foot jumpers. You cut out the pullup jumpers from inside the arc and make him play inside and on the fly, he could be a terror. Problem is, unless we shoo Monroe, he will always be playing out of position offensively.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I like your first (and final) description about his problem. Let the Lakers sign him... kinda like their typical mud-pie fights, where the talent of the entertainment delights at the next round on what might ooze out of the background.

However, you are slightly off on your concentration about Monroe. He is so much like a traffic cop in the middle lane: waving those white gloves for directional flow. He seems always to adjust to the flow that is given him. Might this last sentence be a true representation.? Another take or direction, is how does it really fit into Drummond's role? As the latter is a modified four, there might be advantages for his future growth pattern, in expanding his regions: how would he react to the right three? In my opinion, Josh Smith would be a disaster. JD ( or his alter ego Gore) needs to think about complements. Is it not time that JD needs to let go of that old Mississippi mud?

6. Dapolish

Dapolish Second Round Draft Pick

I love the idea a ALF coming back to the D...never really understood the "Iverson experience". We should have let stuckey go in the trade.
    Either way if we could get him back I'd do it in a heartbeat. I would really like to see this team be more of a defensive team, so Iggy and ALf along with Drummond and Moose thats a good core defense IMO.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So now that I've sobered up.......Chris Paul is so NOT gonna happen. Sooo....
    • Sign Igoudala at SF: $12M
    • Sign David West to play a McDyess type role: $10M
    • Sign Monta Ellis as an off the bench scoring combo guard: $10M
    • Re-sign Calderon: $7M
    • Re-Sign: Will Bynum: $4M
    • Get 2 boom or bust players in the 2nd round
    PG: Calderon / Bynum
    SG: Aflalo / Ellis / English
    SF: Igoudala / Middleton / Singler
    PF: Monroe / West / Jonas
    C: Drummond / TRG[/quote][/quote]

Dapolish likes this.
  8. Dapolish

Dapolish Second Round Draft Pick

I like the looks of that...but what about Danny Granger...he seems to be on the outs with INDY since the emergence of the guy with 2 first names.

pass99 likes this.
  9. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

There are so few big time free agents this off season (CP3 and Dwight) both of which we really don't have a shot at that the rest of them, Josh Smith, Andre Iggy, JJ Reddick, Tony Allen, OJ Mayo, Corey Brewer etc are going to get severely overpaid.

Therefore if I am the Pistons I am putting a bunch of my free agent money into solidifying the bench with guys you can pay substantially less for but get solid contributions from.

Maybe a wing defender like Ronnie Brewer or a backup big like Brandon Wright. Perhaps a cheap shooter like Daequan Cook and an athlete like Al-Farouq Aminu to add to a group that already has Jerebko, Villanueva and Stuckey. Re-up with Bynum and you have all the bases covered on the bench.

If Detroit can turn its bench into a strong point on the cheap then you can focus all your remaining money and expiring contracts (Stuckey and Villanueva) to really go hard at a big name player to drop into the starting lineup along with your first round pick from this season.

Sure it isn't the sexy splash that everyone wants but it is likely to bring more victories and if you can load up with smaller contracts they are always easier to move than a monster contract to a player who isn't really worth it. See Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

KGREG likes this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I still potentially like Knight for his 3-ball and defense.

Calderon is incredibly efficient on offense, but I can't really tell if he gave it away on defense or not. Too many holes defensively to pin anything on one guy. His age, reputation for weak D, and his expected cost are all pushing me toward indifference on him. Passing/lack of turnovers, shooting percentage, and leadership are obviously the strengths.

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Granger instead of Alf or Iggy...hmmm......but I don't see how we get him. What do we have that Indy wants? Maybe our 1st round pick? So let's try this:
    Granger (who's scheduled to make $14M in the final year of his contract next season) for our 1st round pick AND Stuckey, I mean if we're going to help them clear cap space, then we should clear some too! That' move will leave us at $19.5M in cap space; so let's amnesty Villanueva, we now have $28M to spend.
    Sign:
    Iggy at SG: $10M
    David West or Paul Milsap: $8M
    Re-sign Calderon and Bynum: $8M

SG: Igoudala / Knight / English
    SF: Granger / Middleton / Singler
    PF: Monroe / West or Milsap / Jonas
    C: Drummond / TRG
    Plus 2 2nd rounders

Problem becomes, those are low ball numbers for those guys and I don't think you can get them to sign here for such a low price. Also you're already at the soft cap and we have to re-sign Monroe in the summer of 2014 and Granger who will be in his final year looking for an extension on the $14M he made in 2013/14 season.

Dapolish likes this.
  12. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

[/quote][/quote]

I reckon that convincing 2 starters on playoff teams to come sign with Detroit, and then come off the bench, is even more of a long shot than Chris Paul.

pass99, coynejeremy and BillLaimbeer like this.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I keep forgetting about JJ Reddick! I'd much rather have him coming off the bench in a 6th man role than Monta Ellis, cheaper, much better shooter and defender; so let's try this:
    • Sign Igoudala at SF: $12M
    • Sign Josh Smith as the starting PF: $12.5M (And use Andre Drummond in a JaVale McGee role next season)
    • Sign JJ Reddick as an off the bench shooting guard: $7M
    • Re-sign Calderon: $7M
    • Re-Sign: Will Bynum: $4M
    • Get 2 boom or bust players in the 2nd round
    SG: Aflalo / Reddick / English
    SF: Igoudala / Middleton / Singler
    PF: Smith / Jonas
    C : Monroe / Drummond / TRG

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just a quick follow up to my last post and line of thinking:

Knight: on court: -2.5 per 100 possessions while on court. Team is -6.1 while he's on the bench.

Calderon: -9.2 while on court. -2.5 while he's not on court.

Calderon was without Drummond for a long time, so that may partially explain the wide disparity.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

:frusty:
    Touche!

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So now let's say Trey Burke is on the board when we pick at #7,8 or 9 (highly unlikely)
    So we now have Trey Burke and roughly 34.5M in cap room if we cut Stuck and CV.

Andre Igoudala at SG - $12.5M/yr
    Josh Smith at PF - $12.5M/yr
    JJ Reddick as off the Bench SG - $6M/yr
    Re-Sign Will Bynum - $3.5M

PG: A 3-way competition between Burke, Bynum and Knight
    SG: Igoudala / Reddick / English
    SF: Middleton / Singler
    PF: Smith / Jonas
    C: Monroe / Drummond / TRG

That team has A LOT of flexibility in terms of style of play. Knight can play PG and SG. Iggy, Middleton and Singler can play SG or SF. Smith can play SF and PF. Monroe can play PF and C. We can go with an emphasis on defense with a front line of Smith, Drummond and Igoudala.

17. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

Pistons can't trade their first rounder this year its protected due to the Ben Gordon trade.

18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Why not? It's lottery protected this year , which means the Pistons get to keep it no matter where they pick. Bobcats won't get our 1st pick this year. They'll get it next year if we're picking 9th or lower.

19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

We don't know if we will keep next years pick, so we can't trade this years. You can't trade your 1st two years in a row. I think we can trade our 2019 1st rounder now but no 1st rounders before that the way Joe structured the deal...

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You can on draft night!