1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'd trade the 50th Pick for him.... maybe

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

For pete's sake, the NBA has to completely re-think the presentation of this freaking lottery. It's painful to watch and I feel bad for the sad sacks that have to sit up there on stage at those stupid little game-show style desks and try not to look awkward.
    Just have people sit in the crowd like they do at awards shows and have the winner come up for the photo op with the Sternster at the end.
    ...or have the team mascots sit at the damn desks and do something "wacky" when there team is called.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I believe this post should have been made in the Post-Lottery Thoughts thread.

4. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I'd give him whatever the market dictates he shall be given. We need two outside shooters. Knight isn't one, at least not yet.

5. blueadams

Gores wants to spend this off-season and make the playoffs next season. Better pick someone you like.

6. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think there's any way that Mayo or Martin are coming here. The only way the Pistons are going to get anyone is if they overpay for those players, and I don't think it's worth it.

The Pistons' position hasn't really changed in the past few days. I'm not sure why this dictated it's own thread with nothing new being added.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sooo, after watching 1 game, reading some reports and watching some YouTube highlights......McCollum is a better pure PG than Burke? I can't....... I give up.

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Hji

9. blueadams

The old thread had gotten too long to keep up with. Lotto-position changes a lot of things too.

*If we're not going to over-pay for players, then we're never going to sign or resign anyone that's any good. Fact.

10. blueadams

Watch them yourself.

11. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

On a related note, "pure point guard" is one of the most useless labels that we ascribe value to. No team needs a pure PG to win, they need a good one.

Nemo, del, Kerghan and 2 others like this.
  12. blueadams

He's more of a (whatever) point guard than Burke - who's a short shooting-guard - is.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ford has Burke coming off the board at #2. If that's the case Sacramento could end up taking CJ McCollum at #7, leaving us with either Muhammed or Bennett......or Heaven forbid, MCW!

14. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

As someone who watched a ton of Michigan basketball this season, I don't get this critique. It reminds me of the criticism Steph Curry had coming out of college, except Trey has a track record running and initiating an offense.

15. blueadams

It's not as much a criticism of Burke as it is praise for CJ.

16. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

If we are talking about going for a PG why not also consider Michael Carter-Williams?

He is the point guard who actually plays like a classic PG if thats what you are after. Averaging over 7 assists per game.

My arguments for him are these:
    Detroits biggest asset right now is its front line which as we know consists of Andre and Greg.
    Having a PG that can get them the ball as much as possible should be at the top of our list of requirements. Knight as we know is terrible at it.
    Williams is also rated quite highly for his defense which is a net positive. Jose Calderon can't defend.
    He showed at the combine that he is great athlete.
    He obviously has great size at 6'5.
    He can score when necessary.

Having a player who is looking to get his teammates involved as his number 1 priority also bodes well if the Pistons can add a couple of shooters to the roster.

CJ McCollum may be the better player at this point, I am just wondering if having another PG/SG who averages less than 3 assists per game and is known as a scorer is what we really need when we have 2 monsters in the paint who need the ball to be effective.

The Panda likes this.
  17. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

That's really the nightmare scenario. CJ McCollum is a nice looking prospect. I would be THRILLED if he was there at #8. I've only seen two of his games and a couple of 15 minute highlight reels, but he looks good. He can catch it and shoot it. He's deadly off of the bounce. He's an outstanding rebounder. He's got a slick, slick handle. He looks like a 20 point scorer. Another thing that I like about him is that he plays with his head up. Guys like Stuckey and Bynum play with their head down and only really look up when they need to get bailed out. CJ is actually looking at the court when he plays. I think that he could be a true combo guard.

No thanks on Shabazz or MCW. Shabazz got a lot of points by bullying PAC-10 players and getting to the line. I can't see him getting away with that in the NBA. MCW can't shoot.

I think that someone is going to convince themselves that Bennett can be a power three. I hope that someone isn't Joe Dumars.

Zeller has all of the tools. He concerns me for a couple of reasons. One, he was the exact same player as a sophomore that he was as a freshmen. Two, he's a good rebounder who hates to bang. Can he rebound consistently against bigger, stronger NBA players? Three, he seems to play best when his team is already playing well. When things were going tough, he faded into the background and watched Oladipo.

We're going to have to hope that a couple teams above us fall in love with guys like Bennett, Zeller, and Len. Otherwise, we could really get screwed.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I merged the Post Lottery thread to the General Offseason thread. Its not that hard to go to the last page or the one before and get the discussion stream. It is really difficult when you have 5 threads on similar topics going at once because each one will evolve separately.

Nemo, BallDon'tLie, Walter and 2 others like this.
  19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Ugh, another combo guard... I'd rather grab another big and go with Knight than burn another pick and season on yet another PG/SG who averages less than 3 assists per game and "looks like a 20 point scorer".

20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Too bad Minny is behind us...and fired Kahn.

CJ doubters have legitimate concerns. So given that running through a GM, they may just go with size.

He is a scorer...but he can shoot too. Part of the reason why Singler played so much was because he could stretch the floor and minimize the negative effects otherwise. CJ represents an opportunity to have a real perimeter threat so Monroe can operate. CJ has a complete arsenal of moves with and without the ball. If that translates to the NBA we have what Joe wanted in BG - Rip Hamilton but cheaper and younger. I like CJ but I'm not counting him to be the savior. I just think he is one of the best options available in the range that has the most chance to make the best impact across the board.