1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Instead of the lottery, the GM's put a representative in there similar to the Hunger Games meets American Gladiator meets Project Runway.

Walter likes this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

MCW can't shoot, teams already sag off of all of our players and clog the paint. We need some guys who can shoot and score to open things up for GM and Drum.

3. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Exactly. We need someone who can shoot and get their own shot. Will and Stuckey can get their own shot, but they can't shoot. Knight and Singler can shoot, but can't get their own shot. Knight, CJ, Singler, and Middleton give us some nice firepower on the outside.

Next step, sign Chris Paul.

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

There's a show I'd watch. And the winner gets to smack Stern.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think CJ could be a poor man's Steph Curry. Like Cury he doesn't have explosive speed and athleticism, but he's slick and crafty and has no problem getting his own shot. Like Curry he's more of a scoring PG, but both keep their head up and can deliver passes on-time and on-target. The difference is in shooting, CJ's a good shooter, Curry's a GREAT shooter. But I think CJ may be the most natural scorer of the 2.

6. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

No one's suggested alternatives to Mayo and Martin as FA's at the 2 and 3 (assuming we draft CJ).

Mayo is a board favorite. Great outside shooter and a solid defender.
    Martin isn't because his D's so bad. But who is the alternative? (Still needs to be a great outside shooter)

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

8. J-Train

I would agree with most of that. Clearly, Curry has an edge when it comes to shooting. He's probably the best pure shooter in the league. CJ looks like a MUCH better athlete. CJ has a highlight reel dunk or two on his resume. You didn't see that from Curry at Davidson. They're both very savvy small school guys. Both showed the type of court awareness that leads you to believe that they could be effective PGs on the NBA level.

Also, both carved out incredibly successful college careers through hard work and skill, as opposed to muscling small school guys like some Eastern Washington grads I could name.

9. J-Train

I would take JJ Redick over both of those guys, at least for the money. Mayo is a 15-16 ppg guy who's probably going to be grossly overpaid. I would rather overpay GM and Dre. I actually like Middleton over all three. If you're going to end up with a 14-15 ppg guy, then his paycheck should reflect his production.

I just don't see a starting SG available in free agency.

10. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

With Westrbrook injured Martin looked completely useless as the #2 scoring threat from the perimeter. Thats with the ALL WORLD Durant. Whats he going to do in Detroit as arguably the #1 perimeter threat? Cash checks and become a fan favorite on the message boards a la BoT.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not sure that I agree with the statement that Knight can't create his own shot. He was 2nd on the team in FGA and FTA last year and 1st on the team in 3PA. He was unassisted on 44% of his made field goals.

Seems like a very good balance of creating his shot and playing within the offense. He also led the team in assists. His TS% was in the same range as Monroe and even Kyle Singler, who is ultra selective.

The problems with Knight seem to be mostly that his assist to turnover ratio is unacceptable. Since he will probably never develop substantially better vision, that means that in order to correct, he'll have to get more conservative like '04 Billups. That could be possible with the right guidance.

12. blueadams

13. blueadams

Mayo isn't the defensive liability that Redick is.

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons are projected by ESPN's Chad Ford to select UNLV power forward Anthony Bennett with the No. 8 pick in the June 27 NBA draft.
    With the lottery order established Tuesday night, Ford released an updated mock draft. He has the Cavaliers taking Kentucky center Nerlens Noel No. 1 and Orlando selecting Michigan guard Trey Burke No. 2.
    Bennett (6-8, 240), who is 20, played just one year at UNLV before declaring for the draft. He averaged 16.1 points and 8.1 rebounds last season.
    "The Pistons' biggest need is at the three, and if Bennett falls this far, I could see Detroit convincing themselves that Bennett could make the transition," Ford wrote. "While Bennett looks like a power forward, he can really shoot and handle the basketball. He has enough talent to be the No. 1 pick, but his recent rotator cuff surgery has caused his stock[​IMG] to slide just a tad.

He'd be a great fit in Detroit and give the Pistons, along with Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond, one of the best young front lines in basketball."

16. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

True, but Mayo isn't by any means a great defender.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If he can play SF and we go big ball, I could be convinced.

The SF's out that that we need to worry about are actually pretty big guys when you think about it.

18. blueadams

I don't like us drafting Bennett, unless we've got a sweet trade lined up to get a pre-prime all-star perimeter player, McLemore, or top-3 pick in the '14 draft for Monroe.

Right now, our biggest NEED, Mr. Ford, is shooters who can spread out defenses. Bennett's never going to be a plus-shooting SF, perhaps never even average.

19. J-Train

He's a talented player. He's looks like a prototypical SG. Nice stroke. Decent pull up jumper. Having said that, he really seems to struggle against quality opponents. He looks like a lottery pick against weaker competition, but seems to have a harder time finding good looks against better teams.

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As a freshman, Bennett shot 53% from the field, including 38% from the 3-point line. Why would you say he couldn't shoot?