Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Id take Rondo + Wallace in a heartbeat. Wallace is slightly overpaid and Rondo is hugely underpaid. It evens out.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Detroit Pistons make trade offer to Toronto Raptors for Rudy Gay, sources say - ESPN

I all in favor of moving Stucco and C Village idiot, but just concerned that Rudy will come here and think he is the leader of the team and will always want/have/demand to take the last shot....not that Stuckey didn't think the same thing. My other question is will we have anyone other than Knight as our three point threat?
  3. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't say it was realistic now, did I?
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No, but I was just crashing you back to reality very fast. :chopper:
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I don't like adding Rudy Gay but I'd rather have two years of Rudys contract than having Stuckey + Chaz around for one more season.
    Walter likes this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I really don't mind the fantasy posts. I find them interesting.
    When the home team struggles for awhile, it helps to pass the time.
  7. Laimbrane

Reality is no fun when you don't actually have any authority to do anything.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Apparently the Kings have now changed their mind and withdrew their offer.
  9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Makes sense. There are only a couple of teams that would benefit (with some good luck thrown in) from these contract amounts and the length of time. Detroit is not one.
    Smith will demand in the neighborhood of 15M and again, would only benefit certain team constructs. Detroit is not one.
    I would pass on Rondo. It is far from determined how is recovers from the ACL and his attitude (similar to a Stuckey) may not be proactive leaving all those comfort zones that helped enrich him in Boston. JD has always loved Rondo types (and coincidently, far removed from his personal approach as an active player). In a sense, we shall seek what we find a void from within. Jose may find that there is and has been too much turmoil from the organization. Teague (25) is a very good Plan B...quick and plays within himself, especially if a Gay on the wing can take advantage of that. All of a sudden, the Pistons are getting young, athletic and will be exciting to watch.
  10. Laimbrane

The problem is that Gay is not actually a good shooter; he just shoots a lot. That's the same problem with Monroe and Stuckey - they're not efficient shooters, they just shoot a lot.

That's why I love guys like Korver. A good coach can design an offense to get guys open looks - it's up to the players to make them. Guys like Gay and Brandon Jennings never got it through their head that they are not good iso players, and the result is that they hurt their team when they're out there because they're slowing down the offense and not taking good shots.

I hope that Monroe is somewhat of an exception - he misses a lot of bunnies but he takes what should be high-percentage shots. My hope is that he gets stronger and better able to put back those offensive rebounds.
  11. Laimbrane

Actually, the more I think about it, the more irritated I get that the Pistons aren't actively pursuing Korver and Calderon. These are two of the best three point shooters in the league, Calderon actually WANTS to come back, and having Calderon, Pope, and Korver on the wing would spread the court out enough for Monroe and Drummond not to get bogged down inside. For "being desperate" for wing help, Joe isn't moving very fast on the two guys that fill the biggest need.
    The Panda likes this.
  12. BillLaimbeer

Calderon is a free agent. He can choose where he wants to go. The Pistons are talking to him, but he will ultimately decide.

Jose Calderon meeting with Kings, one of many suitors | ProBasketballTalk
  13. pass99

The current obsession (finally) is having a core group that is extremely athletic and with that, adaptability. Lets get to the specialization areas when you want and need certain fillers. Hell, CV can pop 30 ft shot all day and be similar to Korver, but that's all they can do. Gordon, turned out this same way, but was more maneuverable.

Monroe misses a lot of bunnies. Yes, layups are very high percentage shots. It's almost like he's gun-shy. The further out he moves, and the more refined his technique used within this area, the better he becomes. So, in a sense, he is a 4.

However, I do understand your nervousness in even suggesting that Monroe could be traded.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  14. Laimbrane

Unless I missed something and they renounced their bird rights, right now Calderon counts at like $11 million against their cap. Maybe they're just waiting to get his market value, I don't know. But if that limits what they can do in free agency, why wait?
  15. Laimbrane

Hmm... it looks like the Bucks are offering Korver $7 million a year. That might be more than I'd offer.
  16. BillLaimbeer

How do you know they haven't already talked? Or, are currently talking?
  17. pass99

This is a fair concern. However, someone must be the challenger and make the other team pay for certain cheating. Right now you have a guard situation that says: let Stuckey drive and keep pushing him out. Let Knight dribble all he wants, because he is playing his favorite video game. The rest of the team hopes they can work up a sweat and show everyone they are working hard. This team is a mess.

Yes, I want someone to be leader and sometimes (but not always the alpha) that your best scorer. Everything, over the last few years in this organization has been in constant flux, especially the coaching. Something has to change.
    Ernie the Slow Adult and Walter like this.
  18. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not really sure why Rudy Gay is considered a good player to be honest.

My case:

.494 TS% (barely higher than Corey Maggette's last year)
    .449 eFG (about the same as Maxiell)
    13.6 ast % (same as Tay)
    .323 3P% (compared to Will Bynum's .316)
    2.7 ast to 2.6 tov per game (compared to 2.6 to 1.2 to Tay)
    ORat: 98 (would be 13th on our team last year)
    Offensive win shares: NEGATIVE 0.2 (we didn't have a single player in negative territory last year, so he'd be dead last)

On top of all that, he takes 16.7 field goal attempts per game, which is 25% more than anybody else on our team. He dominates the usage, which when combined with his inefficient shooting hurts the team terribly.

Defense? I think he's an above average defender, but can't really tell due to the Grizzlies' strong overall defensive scheme (think Tay in 2004). He not in the same defensive class as the other guys that we're pursuing, but not many are.

How bad is a .449 eFG?
    Villanueva is a career .494
    Ben Gordon is at .498
    Prince is at .487

Why would we want the highest paid player on our team to be a small forward that dominates the ball with the efficiency of a nearly retired Corey Maggette? I'll take Charlie V gladly for another year because he'll either be shooting better or on the bench... both of which will produce higher win shares for the Pistons.

This move would fit into JD's recent patterns.
    Walter likes this.
  20. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Those numbers don't sound too good, though we all knew he was a volume shooter. Were those numbers from only last season or for his career? I would naturally be inclined to think it was due to playing on a bad team, but if they are career numbers then ouch.