[Drafted] Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 20, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Please call him Pope, we already have Kenny English.

Also, Lee sighting.
    linwood likes this.
  2. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Must be Summer League time, he's back!
    mikhail1973 likes this.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We did not get to see Kravstov play all that much in real game situations, and what we did see was after most of a season of rusting on the bench. No way I will judge him yet. With that said, no, nothing I saw from him makes me think he is the best fit at power forward for us. I say power forward because we certainly can cover center with Drummond and Monroe.

In any case, I see flaws in Knight's game at point, for sure, but its nitpicking to the nth degree compared to how bad a guy like CV plays defense, or how completely outsized JJ is when playing power forward. To be a competive team this year, we really need a 4th big - and since we had a loser coach who never let us see what Kravstov can do, we should get a proven commodity from this free agent class at hand.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hey Lee, Pelicans may be looking to deal Lopez. I wonder if he would fit that bill.
  5. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I was reading some stuffs (In ESPN) and suddenly this came up.. abut who are the early candidates to win the Rookie of the Year award.

[​IMG]

So, First of all, they don't put the "Detroit Pistons" besides KCP name like the other players.
    They named the Pistons, but then they talk about Rubio passes.. What is that? Did they meant Calderon? (who is a free agent) Or Rubio is coming to detroit? (I don't think so) or maybe they meant Knight??? ... but can they be writting about Knight's passing skills??? That awkward..

Anyway... It seems KCP is somewhere down there with the talks... Of course the most likely are Oladipo, Mclemore and Bennet, at least, for them.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Good catch SJ. It looks like the length of his name overwhelmed them.

(Your English is really progressing.)
    S.J. likes this.
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In case anybody was wondering, this is Ernie being serious.
    Ernie the Slow Adult and S.J. like this.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

9. mikhail1973

10. mikhail1973

11. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I like KCP and good to see this little bit on his shooting on the rookie ladder:

The Panda likes this.
  12. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Next step- Shoot more. We NEED him to be a 12+ ppg guy to have any shot this year. We need to run plays FOR HIM early in the game to get him some easy looks. I love the kid, but we need more from him than "D and Sometimes Three".
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just being skeptical here, but I'm not sure that there is very much evidence that Pope is a good shooter.

His career 3-point shooting percentage if you add up his 2 years of college and 1 year of NBA experience is .336 (189-563). His first year of college, he shot .304. Allan Houston for comparison (because he was a great shooter) averaged .424 from 3-point land at Tennessee over a 4 year period and then went on to shoot .402 over his NBA career. You'd expect most good/ great shooters to have a lower 3-point percentage in the NBA due to the better defense and longer distance.

His FT percentage is fairly low too: .654, .799, and .743 in his 3 years.

And his 2-point percentage is nothing to write home about, considering he scores a fair amount on transition opportunities.

His eFG of .411 this year on jump shots is significantly worse than Rodney Stuckey. Stuckey is having his best year shooting in a while, but he's still not a great shooter and doesn't hit many 3's to boost the average.

I hope he becomes an adequate shooter, but so far he's not panning out to be how he was advertised on offense IMO. I mean, was Burke supposed to be out shooting Pope in every single category?

I would say that Pope's defense is exactly as was advertised so far. I love that and his transition game. And I also want him to shoot more, mainly so that I can see if he's really a good shooter that just needs a green light to shoot with confidence. But I have doubts as to whether that would happen. More likely is that he would shoot more and his efficiency would go down as a result.
  14. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Was interested in the 3 point % there Tas, so I went to check out KCP's 2nd year in college and it was only .373 for a college average of .339. Nothing to really write home about.

He is shooting it better in his first season (.323) now better than Allan Houston though (.299) and has attempted more already. But as you mentioned, Houston had a better base to fall back on.

By comparison just on our team, Singler had a better college average .363 and rookie average .350 and I consider him a horrible 3pt shooter as he can only hit the open corner 3.

I suppose I always believed KCP to be a better shooter than that in college - probably through my terrible memory.
    This has made me re-evaluate his ceiling and that he is more likely to be someone we want as solid bench 2 guard maybe.
  15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Great minds think alike!! :angrysoapbox:

You don't even need him to bomb 3's at 40% the dude can hit midrange 2's and easily help cause chaos for the opposing defense.
  16. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Double baseline screen for a shot in the short corner. Allen Houston. Allen Iverson. Rip Hamilton.

Simple play, man. They don't run it. I don't know why.
  17. Slippy

You didn't explain how BJ gets to dribble for 20 seconds and where Josh gets the ball in all that. KCP knows how to shoot off the screen and is way more effective in rhythm. You know how a shot is a good shot? Because the play was run for you that's how. This is professional basketball but it looks like rec league and not even collegiate sometimes.
    J-Train, linwood and The Panda like this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Remember how Tayshaun had the annoying palm the ball and pump fake routine for an entire shot clock? Well Jennings has the hesitation dribble. I have seen him try to headfake defenders on hesitation dribbles 3 times in a row.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  19. Slippy

I found it amazing how he never got yanked for that or for single(r)handedly stopping all ball movement. Tay i mean. BBall IQ!
  20. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I think the same every time Jennings dribbles at full speed to nowhere in transition