1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Draft's over, so what's our depth chart look like

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Brap

Brap Starter

The coaches have some very difficult decisions to make. But I assume if Ben comes back that he'll start - that'll help take the pressure off the rook.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

By that standard, Chris Wilcox or Kwame Brown should start over GM because GM has never played center in the NBA.

I'm not one of those people who thinks that starting is "special". But it is important for our new franchise player to be given every chance to succeed, and coming off the bench, as we have seen for 7 seasons now, ain't it.

3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

You know, speaking of Joe...that's the kind of thinking that got Billups traded for AI and I hope Joe will not repeat that thought process. I would prefer to see Prince traded, but not because we think he's "old" now. That will cause us to trade for a player with half the talent just because he's under 26. I don't agree with Joe treating his favs like they are HOF pricing, but it's gotta be somewhere in between. I don't wanna see us take anything just for the sake of getting younger. We had a pretty young roster this year and it was a disaster.

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think what Ernie was trying to say (maybe) was that Ben would be the only guy on the roster that has proven to be a "starting" quality Center in the Association. Weezy and Small-Hands have never really done that.

5. Brap

Brap Starter

Thankfully, the Kwame era is over and done.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, and starting Ben at the 5 balances the roster out (as much as possible).

I am all for Monroe having a chance to start, but I am hoping that is at the 4 next to Big Ben.

7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I care more about minutes for the young guys this season than wins since I can't see this team getting to a play off in this condition no matter who starts and I can certainly not see them contend.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You know, last season Ben showed an ability to catch and score like I had not seen in previous Piston stint, I mean he wasn't exactly Amare Stoudemire, but much better than before. Ben really has perfect that little reverse lay in off the glass, he'd work pretty well with Monroe.

9. roscoe36

That's just it. This is not some rise of the phoenix roster. If we win 42 games, I will be very pleased.

10. Brap

Brap Starter

Ben is who he is - one of the best defensive players and rebounders of all time. The guy belongs in the HOF.

But we need to get all squinty-eyed to pretend that he's even remotely competant on offense. i don't care if he had Steve Nash creating for him. Monroe won't find a lot of assists from passes to Big Ben.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

42!?!? They'll be hard pressed to win 32.

Getting Wallace back keeps the season in the disaster category while losing him moves it to an outright train wreck.

I'd rather they get to play guys in their natural positions and learn their roles that way rather than clearing the deck to ensure playing time.

12. Brap

Brap Starter

It's hard to predict that our team, even though IMO it has a lot of young talent, will win 42 games. The roster isn't even finalized - with FA's and Trades and a lot of young talent jockeying for PT. It will take the team quite a bit of time to sort this out -- perhaps longer than a year -- making it very difficult for what will turn out to be the final product to jell.

And we're going to see substantial changes as this year goes along, and and with the 2011 draft and as the 2011-12 season goes along.

I think it's going to be a lot of fun. But I also think we'll take our lumps whiile we're sorting it all out.

13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Curry is the real deal at point guard.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If there aren't any major roster deals this summer, I will be extremely disappointed. Playing next season with the current roster would be very ugly.

15. roscoe36

Oh man Ernie, you are killing my buzz. Why do you think they won't be much better than last year?

I think you may be really overvaluing Ben. He really disappeared down the stretch last year. There is not a lot left in that tank.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Dumars is done for the off season. I just think that with all of last years injuries he is still in the wait and see what we got, mindset. In Joe's head he put together a really great roster, this was before he even knew what we had in JJ, now with JJ (who some believe is the next David Lee), Joe really must feel like he has a great roster- when healthy. Think about it, in Joe's mind he just replaced Chucky Atkins with Terrico 'D-Wade Lite' White and replaced Kwame Brown with Greg '2nd coming of Chris Webber' Monroe. Add that to the fact that I think Austin Daye is the next Dirk Nowitzki and Brap thinks Summers is another Karl Malone and look at our roster. We now have 2 D-Wades on the roster, Karl Malone, Chris Webber, David Lee and Dirk Nowitzki to play alongside Ben Gordon, Rip, Tayshaun and CG31.......Why on earth would he make another move.

I've heard that before, not going there anymore. Ben has about 1/3 of a season of really good games left, 1/3 so/so, 1/3 crap; which is about how our whole team plays anyway, Ben has enough left to give us one more season while we finalize the next chapter, who's the alternative? I'm telling you 'Scoe, had you followed Monroe at GT this year you'd know he's not ready to come in and play the 5 spot this year.

17. Brap

Brap Starter

I think there'll be trades and FA acquisitions before the season gets started. Teams will sort out where they are after the main FA's land, and then after all the good ones are gone.

We've got some very attractive pieces. Tay - Maxiell (very nice role player on the right team - and a great citizen) - Wilcox's contract -- maybe even Rip if some team wants to give us a veteran big man (e.g., Gortat).

18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Maxiell at his price isn't all that attractive IMO. I don't think he will generate that much interest, but I hope I'm wrong.

19. max

max All-Star

Good points but I question if last years roster is what was planned or if injuries put the kabash on some hopeful trade deals.

Near impossible to predict what the team will be like this October, then again we said that last summer.

20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Early November could be another story though.
    Joe might want to take a look at how these guys are coming together prior to making a blockbuster deal three games into the season.