Draft's over, so what's our depth chart look like

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jun 27, 2010.

1. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I hope we play Gordon and Rip together so we can reaffirm what a terrible idea it is to have them on the same roster. One of the main reasons I don't think the injuries hurt the team because few of our parts compliment each other.

I do hope we play Monroe some considerable minutes. I don't think Big Ben should play more than 24 mins per game anymore.
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Even though I believe we are gonna suck this year I am quite excited. I really enjoy following young teams and we have a pretty young and developable nucleus.
  3. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Agreed. I just hope they play a style that actually benefits our new found youth. This team has to start playing faster.
  4. Brap

Brap Starter

Word. Which is why the team needs to move Tay along -- the guy's the human rain delay.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Mostly I don't see that they have resolved any of their issues from last season. As Jayborne said the pieces don't compliment each other.

I think they can be better though without it reflecting much in their record. Ben helps that by not having them start out in a deficit. He can guard 5's without fouling, rebound some, block some shots and play some team D. He can't do it a lot, but they have no one else who can do it at all save for Maxey (who at this point is earning the Big Ben Jr tag only because Sr is 35).

If they can play Ben at the 5 then they have the chance to play Monroe at the 4 where his size gives him a chance to be something above average. Figuring out if and where he can play may not win them games, but should help them going forward.

Ditto for Jerebko. I want them to figure out his role/position this year.

I think the injuries helped the Pistons last season and I don't know if they'll be so fortunate again.
  6. Brap

Brap Starter

Jerebko's role is "player" -- the guy can just play. I see him as a primary beneficiary of the drafting of Monroe. JJ constantly makes himself available for cuts to the basket. JJ showed signs last season of being a good 3 pt shooter as well - and if his overall game improves (as it should given how hard a worker he is), then teams will have to play him honestly from 3 pt land which will open up his ability to fly past them as he cuts into the lane either with or without the ball. He simply has better feet and speed than many (most?) of the guys trying to cover him.

I picture Monroe and Stuckey initiating the offense with inside/outside passing. I picture JJ diving hard into the lane, and I picture Ben Gordon and Daye setting up at the 3 pt line spreading the defense. Monroe taking his pick of 2 3 pt shooters, JJ having cut into the lane, Monroe finishing the play himself, or a pass back to Stuckey who can drive into the lanes created by the defense working hard to cover the other 4 guys who are immediate threats. Guys, that's one hell of a fine potential offense. Bynum fits perfectly off the bench for Stuckey, as does White if he fulfills his ridiculous potential. CV fits for Daye at PF. I don't see Rip and Tay fitting as easily, but I'm not a BB expert, and I assume that experts can figure out an offense that fit those guys talents - especially Rip, who ought to totally love receiving perfect passes from Monroe or from any of our guards after he comes off multiple picks. I think Summers fits very well - but still question where his minutes will come from unless CV falls out of favor again or Daye falls flat on his face (something I don't expect).

Question: if our offense is operating more efficiently, and in particular is running from Monroe making intelligent and skilled passes - doesn't the way we're running the offense mean that we'll have better floor balance and that we'll limit transition opportunities, in part because we'll be taking higher percentage shots?
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Freudian slip? :D
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

LOL - no, I caught it and edited it.

I kindof like Monroe better than Cousins - in part because Cousins is a huge wild card from a personal standpoint, and in part because I like what I hear and read about Monroe's versatile game and have this gut sense that he'll be a better team player than just having the low post monster that Cousins represents.

--- er, at least I caught ONE of my freudian slips. :)
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't care if they compliment each other, as long as they complement each other.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Essentially, we're replacing the "Small-Handed Cake Destroyer" and Chucky Shatkins with G-Money and TNDW (the next Dwyane Wade).
    Let's assume we get slight improvement from our #7 pick and a "Chucky- like" contribution from 'Rico White.

Let's also assume that the rest of the roster (who knows about Will Bynum) stays in tact. I'd figure on about a 10% improvement in the win/loss column from last year when factoring in the young guys stepping it up a bit as well as Q getting a better handle on things.

32 wins seems about right to me when assessing the lineup as it stands today. If G-Money goes out and wrecks-shop in the LVSL I might boost the win total up another click or two. A big trade would help.

It's prolly too early to predict anything but it's a fun subject to ponder.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Last season our principle play was the double high post. Where Stuck dribbles the ball upcourt and passes it to Ben or Max or JJ or CV. About once every other game Ben would hit Stuck on a nice cut for a layup after receiving the ball from him (Stuck). When Ben didn't make that pass it pretty much became a wasted possession (90% of the time), I suspect there will be many more options and much more productivity out of that play with Monroe being a principle in that set.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You're never going to build team chemistry that way.
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

You mean like...
    "Kwame, you have the most beautiful hands that I've ever seen. You should be a hand model for a high-end children's clothing line."

...or

"Tay, that's a dope little suitcase. You could carry a whole pair of socks in that thing! You have great taste in luggage! Where'd you get that?"

..or

"Hey Charlie, your stride mechanics really look nice!"
  14. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This is why I am on the G-money bandwagon. last season i was flabbergasted at that play as it was run so many times without any chance of the big doing anything but passing back to a guard at the three point line. Hopefully with at least the threat of a pass - successful or not - the play could bear fruit.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that Charlie V might be our 3rd or 4th string PF.

Jerebko/ Maxiell/ Wallace would all fall ahead of him by my estimations.

How doesn't CV fit in at all?