Dumars Being Very Quiet/Haven't We Seen This Before?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 8, 2007.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Joe has to be watching the Spurs/Cavs and drawing the same conslusions we are drawing; the Cavs should not have beat us.

Then I think Joe will make some conclusions from that premise.

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

God i hope so :fingerscr

Not only shoudn't the Cavs have beat us; After the 1st game, i'm convinced that the Spurs really aren't that much better than us. They just have Greg Popavich.

I've been questioning Joe D's moves for awhile. If Flip stays, i'm convinced he's on drugs.

3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I must not have the same faith in Joe that you all do.

Regardless of what he has built here, he'll also be known as the guy that drafted Darko over Wade/Bosh/Marshmelo, and the guy that panicked by signing Nazr for 5 million a year, long term. There is a reason we only have one ring with him, and not 2 or 3 like Buford and the Spurs.

4. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Joe probably has more questions now than ever in his tenure. Like, have we plateaued, and can this squad be reinvigorated. I hope there are major changes in store.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And "What the @#$% was I thinking hiring Twitchy?!?!?!"

6. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Is it possible for this Flipper era to have become any more disappointing.

7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yes. it's because san antonio has popovich. that's the reason why. i think if we had pop we would be talking about 2 or 3 championships and the darko choice wouldn't even be questioned. if you look at our team right now darko was the right choice. we need a defensive minded center, we need a low post threat, we need another passer in the offense all of that equals darko. he's also the only one of those choices that could have been had for cheap which is what davidson likes.

joe has made some great moves. coaches have dropped the ball most of the time. the only bad move joe made was to trade darko and arroyo before seeing what ben was going to do.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

We don't need any Crickets on this team.

9. max

max All-Star

Hard to say.

I think anything is possible at this point. The whole thing is still very dissapointing.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think Flip is going nowhere. It's all just wishful thinking on our part.

Joe will make some kind of middling deal this summer or maybe even trade one of the starters and make a couple small deals too. Big deal.

The complexion of the team will remain the same. Our rookies will continue to sit on the bench and rot. Kind of like buying a really sweet looking dessert at the store and keeping it on your kitchen table in its wrapping and watching it go stale.

On Monday, Joe will tell us how it ain't Flip's fault and we were one of 4 teams to make it to the finals despite losing Ben, and our rookies will play a bigger part... blah blah blah.

11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I don't recall ever hearing anything from Joe D., even when he was guarding Jordan, unless the press specifically asked him a question, and even then he never was the verbose type.

I don't read anything at all into his being quite, except to tell me that he is the same old Joe. D.

Now if on the other hand Sheed was quite after having had 2 questionable fouls called on him in the first 3 minutes of a game then I would start to wonder, is something wrong?

12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He was probably just getting teeth pulled - I think after a series like that, that would be a more relaxing way to start the off-season.

13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

No, just that he is a GM. This is a huge factor in deciding your power base with the players. Besides, the whole organization is built around a system and all stakeholders must buy in.

Please notice that Kerr has upset the apple-cart in Phoenix with D’Antoni now just a plain-old coach. Media feedback from Mike concurs that it will lessen his burden. It's a dual-edged sword. Kerr is a systems man and is not a stranger to this organization. I suspect that there will be some major moves, with at least one or more starters gone.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This is the most important offseason yet.

It's these 3 months that we will see if the window is still wide open or if it's sealed shut.

15. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

The biggest part of that reason is that they tanked a season, got lucky in the lottery, and got Tim Duncan giftwrapped for them. Too bad Joe hasn't been that "smart".

And FYI, Joe would not have picked DMC over Duncan.

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't know what to expect from Joe.

I can easily see Joe overpaying Chauncey and keeping Flip here. I can see very little changes made.

I can also see Joe negotiating with Chauncey and keeping him here without killing the salary cap. I can also see Joe getting some help here and a new coach.

I don't know what to expect of these 2 though. We will see.

17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Joe D is probably quiet because he's plotting the offseason. Also, he's probably seething. There is no way on Earth that the Pistons should not be in the Finals. If Joe D ain't pissed, he should be. Joe knows the bar is high and Flip ain't no high jumper.

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Make no mistake about it...he is pissed. He also knows (getting a big taste last year) that the internal problems will have to be dealt with since they eventually park themselves on his desk.

A coaching move will make no difference and it is an acquiesce to the main problem. The hunger (no matter how many minutes the players have in the regular season) is no longer able to carry them through.

Flip is an offensive coach and it should not go unnoticed that he did come up with some timely defensive switches. He did not, nor does he have, the leadership come playoff time when it matter most, and that is why they went from averaging 97 to 80 in the playoffs. He better have some defensive stops, because he has little consistency on the offensive end. Your point guard (who likes the word Big in his description) does not let you loose in your own house.

A big man (Shack and Duncan) stop closures when the defense cheats on the penetrators (Wade,Nash,Parker). You balance this with timely role playing and experience vets, combined with a touch a fearless 6th man intensity that can penetrate or hit the outside shot (Richardson, Gibson and Ginobili).

It's not the players, it's the system. You match the players by draft, trades, mature development, and good fortune to the system.

A difference in degree may become a difference in kind.

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    MLive.com: Everything Michigan

20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Daily Tribune : <SW_TITLE>