Dumars comfortable with Dupree and rookies backing up Prince

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jul 12, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Dumars comfortable with Dupree and rookies backing up Prince - Detroit Pistons Full-Court Press - MLive.com
    According to Pistons.com Joe doesn't want to bring any free agents using the exception. How they expect to get an adequate play from undersized rookies and guy that didn't get off the bench last year is beyond me. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

2. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

You have to think that Joe is looking hard on the trade front. I'm not against signing a guy like Woods for the minimum, but you have to think that Joe's trying to swing something for Flip jr. and change.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like one of the comments after this MLive article by DD2k "that Davison is being cheap SOB":pound:

I am all in favor of Samjia and Alf making the 15 man roster, but the question is who will be street clothes, Samjia or Dupree and will Flip even play the one that is dressed?? If all fail at the position or don't live up to expectations, then there's Tay burning 40 minutes again..

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Amir should play SF. If not him Maxiell should. Dice will be a starter or the first man off the bench.

Starters: CB, Rip, Tay, Dice, Sheed

Bench: Stuckey, Afflalo, Amir, Maxiell, C Webb/Dale Davis

5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i think as good as our 15 pick has looked in the summer league you could see hamiltion getting some time at the 3 also.... aka the 3 guard play of the bad boys... that will get him more game time and get prince some more time on the bench resting for the playoffs. If both our first rounders can make contributions this year i think the 1-3 slot will get enough rest to keep fresh for money time next spring.

6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Tay's minutes must get down to 32 minutes on avg, I believe. His body is too stringy to withstand the pounding of a 100-game season. Any idiot (except for Flip) can see this.

7. mikhail1973

Dice doesn't want to start. The way it looks, unless Joe brings in someone else we may have starting five of CB, Rip, Tay, Nazr, and Sheed. Also, will they find a place on the bench for Mejia?

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

No Nazr man. I don't mind him. In fact he is solid, but if Nazr starts the bench looks like this.

PG: Stuckey
    SG: Flip/Stuckey/Afflalo
    SF: Afflalo/Amir/J Max/Mejia
    PF: J Max/Amir/Webber/Dice
    C: Webber(not even a C)/Dale

How does the PF minutes get distributed? Sheed and one of the four bolded names starts. I think Dice should start. This leaves Webber, Amir, and J Max. The Pistons should bring Webber off the bench to create points for the young guys. Amir or J Max goes to the 3 and the other plays the 4.

9. mikhail1973

Here's an interesting piece from SI:

SI.com - Writers - Ian Thomsen: Young reserves will be key for Pistons - Thursday July 12, 2007 2:31PM

There's more in the article.

10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

My take, Joe doesn't believe that Detroit's problems relate to talent, but are because of attitude. He had a starting group complacent with their roles, and a bench upset about a lack of PT.

His solution, dump the bench guys for rooks, who will be happy with any PT that they get. And hope that rooks push the starters for PT, which causes them not to be so complacent.

Serious, serious problems with this logic. Joe is over emphasizing attitude, and under emphasizing talent.

Neither Stuckey, Dupree, Affalo, nor Meija will better than Delfino or Flip by this time next year. Maybe two years from now, but not in a year. They are still rooks, and will make mistakes.

The only potential upgrade for the bench will be Amir and JMax, but they are competing for the same position. We still don't have a center, or even a back up center.

And the biggest problem, is Joe is assuming Flip will be a teacher and allow the youngsters to play through their mistakes. Something I've never seen him do.

This could get ugly.

As it is we have a depth chart of:
    PG CB, Stuckey
    SG Rip, Stuckey, Affalo
    SF Tay, Super Dupe, Meija
    PF Sheed, Amir, JMax
    C Nazr, Sheed, JMax

And a core bench of Stuckey, Super Dupe, Amir and JMax. Not an improvement.

Good news, Joe got something good for Darko, and if we're as bad as I think we will be next year, we'll be like the future baby bulls, get some good picks next year, and the rebuilding won't be so bad with Stuckey and Amir as a base.

11. max

max All-Star

I have to wonder how much of this is posturing. Its not like him to show his cards and admint to the world that he seriously needs to make a trade.

12. NotoriousCPC

NotoriousCPC First Round Draft Pick

McDyess?

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Flip is no idiot. Like most geniuses, Flip thinks outside the box. He knows he doesn't need to worry about limiting Tay's minutes if he does his best to make sure the season is only 82 games instead of 100. :yellowprison:

14. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

One of the things that can not be emphasized enough in sports is the player’s mindset. When you here all the talk about his head just is not in the game it is not B.S.
    A couple of examples in different sports...

Pitchers in baseball you get a young pitcher who has an arm and he gets rocked a few to many times it takes away from the talent because he does not trust his stuff.

Tiger in golf.. The man is immortal when he has the lead in an event, but he can’t come from behind to save his life. It is not that Tiger does not have the talent he is gods gift to golfers it is the frame of mind.

Basketball look no further than the Bruce Bowen’s Ben Wallace’s of the NBA guys who went undrafted because teams didn’t think they had enough talent. I wouldn’t even have thought twice about it if the pistons had just cut Ben before I saw him play as a Piston (honestly I don’t remember seeing him play before then) because I was like who the heck is Ben Wallace and why did we trade Grant Hill for him. It is all about heart and less about talent. I would think that after having a guy like Ben around we would have learned that by now. I want that hungry rook trying to prove to himself to the world he belongs. It has to be better than watching BIllups and Rip coast because they have a 15 point lead.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is what I am afraid of too 16. We all want to see the rookies get PT and develop, but how many of us will second guess Joe's decision not to add a FA vet to the squad when we start losing supposed winnable games and then Flip panics and our starters begin logging 35-40 minute s a game again.

The window is still open to get back to finals, but I'm just not sure if these guys hangin in vegas this week who look decent playing against allscrub competition will be enough to get us there. I mean CB, Rip and Sheed won't be getting any younger over the summer themselves....

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Play the newbies enough to give them valuable experience. I'm sure that this season as it stands, that Joe and Flip will agree on a "wins goal" of maybe 45-50 games. This will allow liberal substituting for the vets to have something in the tank when the playoffs start. Make the push in the playoffs with rested vets, and some energized young players.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

C Webb off the bench would solve a lot of this rookie problem. C Webb can't score like the all star he used to be he can't even score consistently anymore. C Webb can't block shots or rebound like he used to. However C Webb can still dribble and pass like he used to. He would create a ton of easy baskets off the bench. Stuckey, J Max, Affalo, and Amir should all be able to finish off of his passes.

18. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Oops, so who's the odd man out? 2 positions, 96 minutes, 5 players? Nazr? JMax?

My bet, JMax starts off as the 4th big, but as season ends Dice forced to start, Amir moves up to 3, and Nazr and JMax share the 4th spot as situational players.

19. mikhail1973

Dice will not start. He said it plenty of times.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dice will be traded. Book it.