Dumars' failed chemistry test has doomed Detroit

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lpgrl26, Apr 21, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Dumars' failed chemistry test has doomed Detroit - CBSSports.com News, Fantasy, Video

More at the link

edited to add; coming from all angles, Blame Dumars for Pistons' fall from NBA's elite - The Huge Blog
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Wow. That's pretty harsh.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I'd say it's pretty accurate. Dumars acted like many of the fans sounded. Our players hit 29 / 30 and all of a suddent they're senior citizens on the down slide. Then you trade for and OLDER Iverson and hand the reigns over to a 2nd year overrated guard and a rookie coach.

In what universe does that even remotely smell like a path to success?
  4. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

not success, but change
  5. Darth Tater

Two horrible moves, no doubt.

But still harsh...i.e. unpleasant to see, rough to hear.

Not untrue. No. It was spot on although I understand why he did it.

But you know, he redeemed himself from the Darko move and maybe he will from this too. I have faith in him. Not blind faith, but faith nonetheless.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If I were talking with Joe in private and he told me that he traded CB for AI's expiring contract because he didn't think we had a chance anyway and that he hired MC so that he could dictate terms to a rookie coach, I would totally understand.

But I think he believed that:
    1) CB's laid back demeanor wasn't good for the team
    2) Stuckey was ready to be a suitable replacement who would basically play the way that he showed flashes of mid-season.
    3) Iverson would be so hungry for a Championship that he would change for the better to get that while still provide superstar scoring (getting a shot off one on one under pressure).
    4) Curry's toughness as a player and Curry's bball philosophy (which Joe agreed with in conversations) would translate into success on the sidelines.

Also, and this part is very obvious, he was looking toward 2010 and 2011 and thinking about contracts and free agent possibilities. He was pursuing 2 strategies at the same time.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is great. The heat is on.

No more excuses. With the absence of fan radio, the national media has to step up and apply the pressure we cannot.
  8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

doomed? sure this is a throwaway year. but until i see our roster for next season i'm not going to panic and say we're doomed.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

True dat, but let's look at it this way. The Pistons could sign Ben Gordon as a 6th man as has been rumored. He could absolutely help them. Looking at the 2 teams, why would he want to sign with DET over the Bulls?
  10. Darth Tater

Yeah, I mean, in hindsight, you don't do it.

But at the time, it seemed like it was worth a shot.

A.I. blew up on us.

Curry as it turns out, can't coach (but I am unconvinced that all rookies cannot coach).

I'm not defending the moves. They were bad. But at the time, although I was thrilled with neither, I really did think they might work.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We will still have a nice bench unit next year with Bynum, Afflalo, Sharpe, Max, Kwame, and Amir.

We will still have 3 solid starters in Stuckey, Rip, and Tay.

Zero bad contracts or chronically injured players.

And with that core, we will be $61 Million below what the Knicks payroll was this year. We will be $22 Million below the cheapest team in the NBA this year, the Memphis Grizzlies.

With the potential for a falling salary cap and many teams in full panic mode, I would say that we are in this position....

[​IMG]
  12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You lost me there.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why would any SMART NBA player want to sign with the Pistons if you see Curry srewing up on National TV every week and he is supposed to be your new leader mentor:confused: I mean if the media sees how the Pistons have gone from glory to gloom, you got to expect that some of the FA players can figure out who to blame
  14. pass99

Is there such a thing as a leakage of white light, becoming so perversive, that it eventually blinds one?
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe wanted to do some shopping and get himself a real superstar.

Sheed is expiring anyways, so no need to trade him.

By trading CB and Dyess for one expiring AI, Joe got rid of 2 contracts (since Denver absorbed CB and they still have Dyess's contract too for cap purposes).

Joe conquered with the no-superstar model and now he believes that if he gets a real star and inserts them into a system that emphasizes team chemistry and defense, that he can win with that model as well.

The big names going on the market tempted Joe to sacrifice in order to be a bidder in '10-'12.

Joe knows that he isn't going to get a superstar through the draft since that would involve some really ugly losing and he would be likely to be ousted before he could enjoy the draft pick. His only way to get a premier player is to buy one.
  16. pass99

Wow...is this your it? Buy a superstar. Is this not going beyond the cultural and business model of the current and past ownership/managerial philosophy.

Wow...can you enlighten me? What is to occur in 2012?

Wow...my projection: it's not strawberry fields all-the-way-down.
  17. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

Well from my understanding, the Allen Iverson move was simply to free up cap space at the end of this season, and lets be honest, after 3 consecutive failed trips to the playoffs, it becomes obvious you need to try something "fresh", so I don't think we can really hold that move against him at all (as well as Billups is playing), but I do agree with the article about the hiring of Michael Curry.
  18. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The article was harsh but on point. Joe has to take the blame for the failed season. I do not think he could forsee AI tanking the season, though. I think he tried behind the scenes to reach AI, but the little monster just wouldn't budge. We could have used the little monster in the playoffs but he just could not subject his ego to anything other that starting.
  19. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Another front-runner.
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The article benefits from the same hindsight we all do. Why on Earth would you trade for Iverson when he was going to work out so badly?

I do think it's right in one respect - I don't think anyone knew how fragile the chemistry of this team was. Makes me kind of wonder if the failure of the long list of second tier players over the past couple of years might not all be tied to their basketball skills.

Loss of chemistry or burnout?

It was kind of shocking to hear the announcers last night (and DC may not be an NBA coach, but he is pretty knowledgeable about the game) talk about Prince as being basically washed up - fragile with too many miles.