Dumars' failed chemistry test has doomed Detroit

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lpgrl26, Apr 21, 2009.

1. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Chris Broussard: All is not lost for the Detroit Pistons - ESPN

Imagine he'd been given 18 mpg instead of 30 mpg! Sorry couldn't resist.

2. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

this is hilarious

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Fantastic article that echoes a lot of things I wrote this season.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He did get about 20 minutes in a game or so. He also didn't throw a tantrum to the media after wards. AI feeling the way he did was not a problem per se. It's the way he choose to handle it.

edited to add;

I'm not sure what to make of that article other than it's based on the premise that i compltetly disagree with; "the hey we wouldn't win w/ CB anyway, CB is only trying really hard b/c he was traded, etc" so everything else falls apart. And even if that's the case it still doesn't justify making a trade at a position we were already over-stocked in regardless of the ramifications. If he traded for a big that would be another story.

Also this capspace stuff is a myth IMO. It's not going to guarantee a successfully signing/rebuild or even make one more likely.

This is oversimplifying. It didn't just cost a season, and those list of FA's besides the first two are laughable.

As for the Rip/vets weren't super welcoming to AI, i'm not sure what this writer's inside connections are like. but it sounds like speculation that anyone could have written (and posters on this forum have written.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Gee, that's really arrogant of you. It might have some similar themes and ideas, like a cliqu-ish attitude amongst the players, or that Billups wasn't playing with a chip on his shoulder in Detroit.

But the part where Rip played GUNNA GET MINE you totally....

Oh yeah, you called that too.

But what about bringing Sammy Mejia back? You were totally wrong about that one.

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Definitely agree with the article. I hated the trade for AI, but the reality is this team wasn't going to win with him, it's time to rebuild. And trading CB is just the start. If Detroit is going anywhere, it needs to get rid of every player with a ring, and get some guys with hunger and maybe a little humility.

I'd love to see a Bynum-Stuckey back court next year, with 3 new faces in the front court, and Dice off the bench. Hopefully we can get Bosh, and a Bynum, Stuckey, Bosh trio is something nice to build on.

Even better trade for Bosh and Darko, sign Delfino, and hire Laimbeer.:stirthepot:

9. blackhawk

Surprised Chris "Birdman" Anderson is not in that list....i'd get his jersey...Wonder what kind of gel he uses to get his hair like that

10. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

I have came and read post on this website each week for the last two years. I have always tried to remain a reader because I did not want to get hooked on posting every day. However, this post has drawn me from reader to poster. I believe that is the tendency of many forum contributors to not observe the future or the past. If you really observe the whole picture you will realize the CB trade was for the best for the following reasons.

1. Chauncey Billups was not the same player we are watching in the playoffs now. He like most of the current starters had lost his drive. Call it a chip, desire, or passion, but it was gone. The trade brought it back. Yes, he is one of the best playoff performers in the last 10 years. However, he had not been the same in the playoffs over the last couple of years. He was one win away from being a two time finals MVP.

2. Let us not forget how frustrated we all have been at the end of the last three seasons. Something had to be tried. The definition of insanity is to try the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. Lose to Cleveland in the finals or the first round, we were going to lose.

3. Rodney Stuckey and Bynum are better off for the trade. Yes, Stuckey was up and down this season. However, all rookie players are. I know that he’s in his second year, but with the injury last season and being a backup, he did not get the type of minutes like other young franchise PGs would. (i.e. Rose from Chicago) Also, would we even know who Bynum was? He is not going to be our future PG but he is a heck of a backup or trading piece. As a result, Stuckey and Bynum should take large steps over the next two seasons. Not only these two, but the entire bench. I believe we know a lot more about what we have on the bench now than we did last year.

4. The salary cap situation is a huge advantage. I do not believe that we will wait till 2010 to make a huge move. With many teams facing economic woes and fear of losing players in 2010 someone might make a big trade soon. When you add in our salary cap and upcoming picks, we could make something happen. Regardless, we are set up to go after a couple of really good players.

In my opinion, if Dumars does not make a trade we would have made it to the EC finals and loss. We would have been calling for his head. Why didn’t he make a trade? Why does this team rely on “the switch’? Why are they holding Stuckey back? Yes, this season sucks! Yes, I am frustrated! Yes, MC was the worst coaching hire in history! (Why didn’t we go after Avery if we were going to have 1-3 year project guy?) But this trade was the right move. I just hope Curry has not screwed up the pieces we had in place.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Nice post KC

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Probaby the same that Cameron Diaz used in There Something About Mary :MusicBigGrin:

[​IMG]

13. blackhawk

great comparison lol

14. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Man I got goose bumps reading that posts. Finally someone who has common sense here on the forum. Welcome, and looking forward to more of your posts!!!

15. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

What a dope Joe is. The organization is paying the price of his Darko draft blunder. He has set this team back at least 2 years, unless he can get Bosh or someone in his class. The chickens are coming home to roost.

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I think the pieces may be in worse shape than necessary. May take a new coach to sooth over this situation.

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is the biggest thing i think everyone overlooks. The existing players that we have and were/are planning on keeping are in no way coming out of this situation unscathed and who know what kind of mental outlook and/or view of the organization.

If we were going to eff it up so badly, just tear it all down. What is the point of being mediocre?

18. kcpistonfan

I know the Darko pick was bad, but focus on the good of the Darko trade. NBA Championships are hard to get. Only a handful of teams have got one over the past 10+ years. If we did not draft Darko we might not have got one. The reality is that when he got to Detroit we realized he was a long way from producing (if ever). As a result, we pulled the trigger on the Rasheed Wallace deal.

We might have got one with Wade in the future, but there is no gurantee. Yes we might have won one or more, but who knows? Carmello? We would have been a much worse defensive team and thats what won us one. Chris Bosh? OK you got me there, but maybe we still get him.In my opinion, Darko's inept play helped pave the way for Sheed.

My bottom line is that it seemed right at the time. Since than we have been in two finals and several other chances to go. The draft is a crap shoot. I am not the smartest man in the world, but I will take the feeling I received when we won a championship over the chance for one or two. Just my opinion.

19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I don't have any problem with that move.

I still believe, surprise!!!, that the error was in trading Darko, not in drafting him. And get Stuckey another way, a different trade. We had more pieces than that to trade.

20. kcpistonfan

I coached a Serbian kid who plays at Oakland University. Anyway, he was in the same pro organization Darko was in (the younger group) He said Darko would show up in flip-flops for shoot-arounds. Said he was dominate but very lazy.