Dumars' failed chemistry test has doomed Detroit

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lpgrl26, Apr 21, 2009.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I just don't have much faith in Dumars right now. He has to prove to me that he can it done. We'll see... he has a lot of options at his disposal.

First order of business is moving Prince out of town. Toronto is reportedly interested... not sure what pieces they have that I would be interested in return. I'd like to sign a young player like a Marvin Williams who still has a lot of upside.

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

this constant whining oh- why -JD -did -not -take-Bosh-Wade-Melo has become for me boring long ago. That was my point. No offense but discussing it is :deadhorse.

There is no need to make a mistake what Pistons did: in 2007 they still thought it is 2004.

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

What you find boring may not be boring to others...otherwise, they probably wouldn't bring it up.

4. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Well this is going to be a big challenge for JOE D to redeem himself..And words cannot even describe how dissapointed I am.. BUt ill just wait and see what could unfold after these dissapointing season.. adios 2008-2009 season....

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i completely agree and have been saying this as well. money talks people...since none of us are in that situation it is easy to sit back and say 'yeah uh, that player might have heard that the rookie coach isn't very good, so there's no way he would want to sign with us', but the reality is if we're the only team offering $14 million a year and no other team can offer more than $6, guess what? they're coming to the D.

6. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Ernie, Bosh, Wade and Carmelo had impressive resumes when they entered the draft. No one can know what sort of pros they would turn out to be. But there was a lot of video footage, coaching references and general information available about them that was likely not available w/ Darko.

Only bringing this up, as that draft has direct bearing on the current talent level of the Pistons. Joe did redeem himself to an extent by getting Stuckey, but I am not sure how good he actually is going to be.

7. max

max All-Star

Yea I just can't see someone thinking "They played Herman over Amir Johnson - no way am I going there".

I do think Curry is very far from secure though.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I left Carmelo out of there purposely. I think we're agreeing in spirit anway that they were safer picks than Darko, but at the start of the tourney that year I doubt there were many people saying watch out for Wade unless you were a diehard college fan.

I wouldn't consider Stuckey redemption, that's keeping your head above water.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

KG did refuse to go to BOS prior to Allen joining them. Allen was coming off double ankle surgery and didn't have much of a leg to stand on. BOS also had Pierce and DET doesn't have much to offer in that regard.

Orlando had the cap room to sign 2 max-ish type players, but also can offer no state income taxes which is huge to the players.

The Pistons have $$ to offer and at the moment not much else.

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The fact that we can overpay a mediocre player to make him come here is not an appealing alternative.

Fact is the main appeal of coming to DET was winning, and well yea . . .

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

so...what you're saying is it's bad that players won't want to come here...but then you also say we shouldn't spend $ to bring quality guys here?

12. max

max All-Star

There is going to be a lot of good deals out there. Teams trying to cut salary for 010. Teams trying to cut salary for financial reasons, not re-signing guys, etc.. Going to be a buyers market.

Going to be like showing up on black Friday and being let in an hour before the stores open.

If you want to re-build your team and have an extra 20 mil in space then this is a very good time.

13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hopefully Joe can use this opportunity to restock and rebuild the team.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

No what i'm saying is no top FA is going to come here, and we shouldn't spend massive amounts of money to overpay 2nd tier players to.

edited to add;

We need to focus on building a team. I'm not saying don't try to get talent, but don't give one dimensional player an obscene amount to overcompensate just so we could be like see cap space got us this "superstar".

15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i get what you're saying, but it seems like some people are putting dumars in a no-win situation. like - it's your fault you can't get a superstar, but you can't spend money on good players either because then you'll be chastised for not getting a bosh/wade type, but then again don't overpay, but wait, you're cheap and won't pay anyone.

see where i'm going with that?

i am in no way suggesting overpay for anyone, but i'm not against spending $ for some good players.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is what I blame Joe for (in chronological order):

1) Not requiring LB to play Darko, despite the roughness at the start. If nothing else, Darko is clearly a good backup center, especially on defense. We needed a good backup defensive center in 2005 and beyond. The entire handling of the situation was a travesty. We put the #2 pick on ice for 2.5 years.

2) Hiring Flip Saunders. The man was known as being a superb regular season coach and a playoff failure. We were a team that had no problem in the regular season and who just came up inches short in game 7 of the Finals. We needed a coach with Title experience... be it a coach with an NBA title or a premier college coach with a Nat Championship or three.

3) Sticking with Flip Saunders for 3 seasons. It became rather obvious that our players needed a coach who could discipline them and motivate them. Saunders got walked all over. Year after year the pattern continued.

4) Hiring Curry instead of Laimbeer or other coach with at least some experience and a fiery personality.

5) Trading Chauncey for AI. IMO, CB has been our best player for years and was showing no signs of waning. His game is built on good decision making, size, and shooting ability... non of which are about to go away. Sheed was the obvious choice. He already showed that he was disrespecting our coach, Flip Saunders, and that he was allergic to the paint. Should have traded Sheed for young big man (Pryzbilla + garbage would have done fine).

6) Allowing Curry to treat this season like he was going after a Championship. The CB trade meant that we were throwing in the towel. Did anyone really think Stuckey would be Finals MVP this year? It became even clearer 20 games into the season when AI was not working out 1/10th as well as we hoped. So what was the point in playing our unmotivated vets to the brink? They all were injured and getting played like it was the playoffs... in December. Meanwhile, we have a bench full of future players who played their hearts out every time they stepped on the floor.

7) Selling tickets to Cav's fans instead of giving them away to Detroiters. They said that 200 Cleveland fans took them up on the offer. That means 200 x $20 = $4,000 about? We paid AI that every 42 seconds this year!!!! So, for 42 seconds of AI (not even in the state of Michigan), we humiliate ourselves and add 2,000 fans to the HCA for the Cavs in our building and end the going to work era with a standing ovation to Lebron James by Cav's fans.

17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

A sad way to end an era for sure. At least the Bad Boys got a standing ovation after the Bulls eliminated them in game 4... they didn't have to hear cheers for Jordan and the Bulls in their own house.

This one really bothers me.

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Here is what I blame Joe for (in chronological order):

#2 pick surely was not meant to use to get backup center. He is not better than Kwame now.

I'm no college guru but so far college coaches seem to be afraid to work in NBA, am I correct?

Flip's team usually was 8th seeded team ( so I dunno from where fans take this "regular season coach") who actually fought vs Lakers at its prime much more fiercely than Pistons did this year vs cavs.
    At this time players did not demand discipline and "iron fist". What they confess now, does not matter. Consider that "fab4" are all adults and they were treated accordingly.

Laimbeer is a myth and nothing more - in terms of NBA coaching.

There must be a reason why those "some experience" coaches work as color or whatever commentators, helping to bail out Wade. For JD all those were "same old, same old", he wanted to try somebody new and was willing to take risks. This "Laimbeer as Pistons coach" is pure wishful thinking by fans. So far Laimbeer has not shown that he is interested in working in NBA.

An interesting proposition but Pryzbilla is no better( at least not significant upgrade) than Kwame.
    MC had every right to command this team as it was going after 'ship again. There was only one player from bench who produced constantly.
    The ONE point I agree wholeheartedly. It was really low blow.

19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

To be honest, I don't trust Joe's decision making at all at this point. That being said, if he can't get a superstar i don't blame him, and i won't criticize him for it.

Mainly, I just want him to be smart about it. I don't remember the last good move he's made.

It's far too easy for me to see him paying Ben Gordon or a player of that caliber 12 mil a year and dubbing him the savior so while i acknowledge he's in a difficult situation, he made this trade and it's his job to make it workout.

20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Agreed. Trade talks are probably more sophisticated than
    - Hey, you wanna come play for us? We give you cash.
    - Naa, you got too much Curry.
    When going after a franchise player, there's probably lots of planning and plotting going on. Lot of "if you do this, then I'll agree to that" kind of bargaining. The GM needs to sell the franchise player on a vision. Not just a salary.

I'm sure when KG said no to the Celtics prior to the Ray Allen trade, Ainge asked him what it would take to change his mind. I bet you Ainge had the KG trade in mind when he went after Ray Allen.