Dumars Headaches

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jun 7, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

1)Still think we're more talented and better than the Heat.
    2)Missed all of our shots and relied too much on the jumper. Jumpshots wouldn't fall because of fatigue. Solution: Play the bench, at least in the regular season.
    3)Relied too much on the jumper. Joe D. said he would look for guys who can score points in the paint lets hope he gets those type of players on the Pistons bench next year:nod:. Flip has to get plays that gets guys scoring inside as well.
    4) Riley is already a better coach than Flip and it didn't help that Riley could get everyone prepared before the series and Flip couldn't.

I think the team can win with Flip if Flip gains the teams respect. The guy has to find different methods, sit these guys down if they do something wrong (Sheed getting late to the game), and so on. we have a good shot at this if flip gets everyone on the same page and he learns what he did right and what he did wrong.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

OK is it me or did it seem as if the Heat played soley to beat us. They looked so mediocoreish in the previous 2 series, they looked that way in game 1 of the finals (in the 2nd half at least). When they played us it seemed as if there was some sort of sureal focus there. Every cut precise, every single player - including Shaq and Wade - playing at a higher than normal level????? it was as if they were some sort of machine that was strictly made to seek and destroy the Detroit Pistons. We played a team that was FOCUSED and ENERGIZED to achieve a certain goal. By the admission of the players and Joe Dumars that focus and energy was not there from us.

Question is.....Can We Get That Focus, Energy, and Hunger with Flip on the sidelines????

Yes and No.

Our team is not a high energy team-Period. Sheed is the epitome of lackadaisical, Chauncey's name is Big Smooth and that damn slow "A" duck walk drives me up the wall sometimes, and Tay is well Tay.......However.....

Rip is the energizer bunny and is known for running all over the place, but Flip keeps him very standstill in the half court sets. In the playoffs I could gauge every single possession by what Rip did, if Rip stood around, nothing happened and it was a poor possession, when Rip ran wild, it would be a good possession. This team is at it's best when players screen, cut, and pass and Rip is the leader in that dept. it just boosts our energy level especially when the play calls for Tay to run screens opposite of Rip so if Rip didn't come open, you had Tay come through with great post position on the opposite side of Rip. Man I can go on and on with the x's and o's but back to the topic, energy........

Then there's Ben, his energy level can change the whole complexion of a game, but Flip has no clue how to use it to it's full advantage, and I'm not basing this on the miami heat series, I go back the whole season. So in turn Ben doesn't seem to happy, and you have to wonder will he return, we lose Ben....this run is over, we won't have the energy, heart, and hustle it takes to be a champion. For us to win, Flip has to win, he needs to win Ben over as well as Dyess, remember Dyess did his share of complaining too, all season about minutes and the way he was used, put on your memory caps and do a total recall.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He's also much easier to watch when he isn't punching you in the nuts. Just ask Michael Finley.:eek: :faint: :sorry:
  4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:pound: Jammer, I especially like the smilie graphics.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I have that feeling that Miami's mission was to beat the Pistons instead of winning the championship. If we get guys who can get inside it would cause big problems for the Heat and we didn't do that once in the series.
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Again.........Al Harrington & Speedy Claxton.............:nod:
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'd be cool with that. Speedy, Al, J Max, Amir, and Dice. These guys would have to not ask for too much mula though.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Expect the unexpected. Did anyone think we'd get Rasheed Wallace? Bonzi Wells, Wilcox, and Claxton are names we're all looking at. I think Joe will get a guy no one even had a clue we'd get.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Boris Diaw.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Now way would we get him. Phoenix will keep him.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@KGREG, yes, the Heat were built to beat the Pistons. Not the Spurs, not the Mavs and not the Suns. I think Riley assumed that if they could get to the big dance, he liked their odds in a best of 7.

Re: OP
    Dumars may have headaches, but they are all self-inflicted. It's a "what have you done for me lately" job, and he's been calling the shots for 6 years now. There is not one player on this squad that he inherited, and with the exception of Ben, not one player left from the 2001/2 squad.

He needs to figure out the draft. Fast. We haven't had a contributing pick in 3 years. THAT is the poison pill.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Well we'll have to swallow another one because the 60th pick won't get you too far. Especially now when highschool kids can't come in. Amir johnson can become good and we got him in the 56th pick. With college players only coming in now the Pistons will have to get very lucky. We can hope Orlando hands us the 6th pick for the 07 draft though.