Dumars Interviews With New Jersey Nets GM Position

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 5, 2010.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I guess all GMs or potential GMS will wait til dust settles in FA.

for Dumars: a glimpse to new organization - who is this Prokhorov??

...or rats are running from sinking ship, right? :stirthepot:
  3. armygirl

With Dumars record as GM, the Russian will probably scoop Joe in a New York minute.

Rather than talk about free agents, we need to be discussing who would make a good GM for the Pistons.

All the folks who wanted Joe D gone, you may finally get your wish. Just be careful what you wish for. I think I am gonna be sick.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'd join you if it comes to pass, but you never turn down an interview.... you always listen, but I hope he's just doing that...

But if your a GM, I think you just once would want to work for an owner with pockets that never end, I'd have to wish him the best.

I am not giving up before the story even has a chance to get legs though.
  5. armygirl

I am with you Round, also just read another article which states that if Joe does not get the Nets job, the NO Hornets will make a strong push for him.

I wish him the best, but I would hate like heck to see him go.
  6. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

While Joe has his critics among fans, the Detroit media treats him like a demi-god. That will not be the case in NY/NJ.

That said, a chance to be the GM that leads the team into Brooklyn, be the highest paid exec in the league, plus inherit the cap situation without having to live through several crappy seasons. Very tempting.
  7. armygirl

I hear ya Tally. Don't forget, Joe's predecessor inherits a cash strapped team with several horrible contracts yeeeesh.:gun1::hoops:
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

I sure hope this isn't true.
  9. Brap

Brap Starter

Vince Ellis reporting Dumars says he didn't interview with the Nets.
  10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Which means he just left the interview...lol
  11. armygirl

Chris Iott of Mlive also reporting via text message from Joe, he answered "No" when asked whether or not he interviewed.

News outlets are reporting it, it grew legs from somewhere.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Time to bring back Dick Vitale...:)
  13. round

i am guessing they talked about things, but Joe didn't consider it an interview for the job, just talking shop with a new owner.... He didn't say he didn't talk, and didn't take a followup question.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It would probably be nice for Joe to be able to spend freely. I doubt the Russian guy says things like, 'We are spending a lot of money now!'.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When offered an interview, you have to listen to the offer, especially if Beyonce has her office next to yours.....

Hate to see Joe go, but all good things must eventually come to an end..
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If this is true, then we'll find out how much of a risk-taker JD is. If he's ambitious and willing to take some risk, then a wide open playing field in a major market with an owner willing to spend money is the best ticket he could write.
  17. round

yes and no, by the time he'd take over all that money would be spent for this year... I think its pretty unfair to any incoming GM that there getting the job after free agency is all but over. I don't care when your contract is over, your job should be done the day your team finishes playing for the year. If they were making a change the guy should have been in the fold for the draft.
  18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

More true than not. All this does not surprise me. Actually there have been clues dropped for some time.

AG wonders about legs. Here are some:
    • The ownership situation is the point of no return for JD. The Illitch team will work differently. Could be up or down...hard to say. For sure, Wilson is the center of the enterprise merry-go-round and will not run the Pistons. However, this current mess is going to take some serious over-sight. I have always been impressed with Rich Cho (Seattle to OLK) and it will take that type of good mind to steer the right course.
    • You can bet that A.Johnson is tweaking the ear of Mikhail Prokhorov. The former not only likes the money, but keeps a soft spot toward control. It certainly was one factor in his denial against coaching the pistons. Prokhorov might be giving Johnson a wide birth.
    • Interesting group that the Nets are concentrating on. Sam Presti is probably somewhere in the mix. Dumars and Bower are peas out of the same pod. Not the most effervescent type of personalities, but then again, that main course is supplied by Johnson.
    • This is a great opportunity for JD. I hope he is selected. New ownership, new organization, new stadium, and lots of money. Regardless, JD has made himself available. More of these things to come.
  19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Well, this isn't your typical tea-time break over a glass table situation.

There will be some heavy chaos over the next few years in the NBA. A lot of these dumb contracts will come back to haunt owners and their representatives. A few teams might not make it. For sure, certainly the Nets owner will survive. He has that 6-10 inch view...yes?
  20. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Can't blame Joe D. for keeping his options open. With all the chaos going on at the Palace he has to look out for himself. Maybe he didn't interiview with the Nets, but that doesn't mean he didn't sit down and talk with them informally about their opening.

Davidson's widow is slowly running Mr. D's empire into the ground. Just goes to show that she is not business savy. The team is certainly worth less than it was last year and worth even less with Wilson and his crew gone. You can even say with Joe D. gone it further dimishes the value of the franchise. The stabiltity is gone. Hopefully someone will step up to buy the Pistons soon. We might end up being the Midwest version of the ownership in Memphis.