Dumars Not Looking For Free Agents

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by NTC, Jun 30, 2008.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like he's out of Boston.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Posey Chooses Free Agency Over Celtics

"Posey is reportedly looking for a mid-level deal that starts at approximately $5.8 million and carries over 4-5 years. It is believed that Cleveland are putting together an offer, in addition to the Detroit Pistons, New Orleans Hornets, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets."
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Possible reasons Elton Brand might want a chance to play with Trent Plaisted:

1. 10 years in the association & ONE playoff appearance.
    2. EB has already made a LOT of money.
    3. Chance to play in a watered down Eastern conf.
    4. The Clippers will NEVER win anything (even with B-Diddy).
    5. He's coming off of an achilles injury and the Pistons have the BEST trainer in all of sports.

I totally realize that this is a long-shot.
    IMO; Joe, Arnie and a contingent of Piston vets should show up on Elton Brand's doorstep TODAY and at least try to bring him to Motown.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Bill Walker may not be the difference, but it at least is an attempt to get better. There is no guarantee that he'll even be in the league next year, but the chances of Walker and/or Sharpe giving them something are greater to me than just Sharpe.

Can someone explain to me what the gigantic risk Dumars' avoided in taking Plainsted over Walker?
  4. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Not sure it was the avoidance of a gigantic risk vs. the opportunity for a greater reward? IF we could see the future this would all be alot easier.
  5. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

Like anyone we signed or traded for would be playing in the summer league?

I don't even know why we keep talking about the summer league. The results of the summer league mean little to nothing. Its just a good chance for team to be able to work with their young players and draft picks.
  6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

HUh? Main strenght of summer league is that it happens to be in summer. And I can safely to assure that following summerleague tryouts is a lot better via pistonsforum than read topics like "gardening" or "running" . :)
  7. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

Valid point, I will back off slowly:)

Really though, people keep talking about needing to make our moves before the start of the summer league to develop chemistry, and how we will wait and see how good Sharpe is during summer league, etc. Sharpe could light it up at the summer leagues and still suck in the NBA (or vice versa).
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yeah, making a deadline like 'start of summer league' is way too hasty. However, getting the chance to see your fresh young guys is very exciting to me. I want to see how these guys improved, what sharp is bringing to the table, what the games of plaisted and washington are like. I wished we could have brought back Meija. I really liked him in SL last year.
  9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I'm not sure I understand the attraction of Posey. He's on the wrong side of 30, and only averaged 7 and 4 in twenty some minutes a game. What are we going to do? Pay him 6 mil a year to play 15 mpg behind Tay during the regular season and then become a DNP in the playoffs? Delfino had better numbers, and you don't see anyone throwing the MLE at him.
  10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Good that you brought thid up cuz Delfino was cut by Toronto and probably goes to Barcelona.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am not sure if you saw all six of the finals games but believe me the team that lost in the finals this year believes that Posey's defense and the key threes in game 4 was one of the factors that prevented them from winning it and that is why they are pursuing him.. agree the six mil may be stretch, but despite his age, he would have been an upgrade over Jarvis this past season.
  12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Does Austin Croshere ring a bell? And yeah, I agree with you that Posey would have been a serious upgrade, but how much do you pay a guy playing 20 minutes a game?
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

There is no comparison between Delfino and Posey. None. And if Posey DNP's in the PO's i will seriously question everyone in the organization's sanity. Posey is a winner, plain and simple. Anyone who's watched him in the PO's knows that he was a crucial part of both of those teams.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well you are in NY, remember Marbury got $19 million for playing in 24 games this past season and he saved even more because those 58 games he missed, he sat behind the bench in a nice $14.98 suit. :)
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Spurs front-runners in race for Maggette - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Spurs front-runners in race for Maggette
    By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

The San Antonio Spurs have targeted Corey Maggette and are the front-runners to sign the Los Angeles Clippers’ free agent forward, multiple league sources said Tuesday night.

While no deal was imminent, Maggette would be expected to sign a multi-year deal for the mid-level exception, a move that would fulfill the Spurs’ desperate need for perimeter athleticism and scoring. Maggette would be leaving the Clippers, just as the team came to an agreement with Golden State free agent Baron Davis on a contract. With so much sudden salary cap space, the Warriors could be a threat to swoop in and take Maggette for themselves. The Boston Celtics have also shown serious interest in Maggette.

Another team with salary cap room, the Philadelphia 76ers, will present Atlanta Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith an offer sheet on Wednesday when he visits with Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski in Philadelphia, two league sources said.

The Spurs struggled to generate points in the Western Conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers and believe Maggette could make a dramatic impact as a complement to Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Maggette averaged 22.1 points and 5.6 rebounds for the Clippers, who expect now to quickly re-sign free agent Elton Brand.

The Spurs had targeted Maggette as an explosive offensive addition to an offense that struggled to generate points in the Western Conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers. Maggette averaged 22.1 points and 5.6 rebounds for the Clippers, who expect now to quickly re-sign free agent Elton Brand.

Maggette, 28, opted out of his contract with the Clippers on Monday, along with Brand. He had hopes of returning to the Orlando Magic, but the Spurs, who have an interest in Denver restricted free agent J.R. Smith and Detroit free agent Jarvis Hayes, made an aggressive push in the last 24 hours to sell Maggette on playing an important part in restoring them to a championship team.

“He’s going to take a lot of the offensive load off (Manu) Ginobili, but (Spurs coach Gregg) Popovich will have to hide him defensively on the floor,” a Western Conference scout said Tuesday night.

Maggette can sign on July 9, once the NBA’s moratorium on free agents is lifted.

----------

Damn, he's usually reliable.

There are only 3 teams that can offer more than the MLE, the Warriors, Sixers, and Memphis,
    Spurs offered him the full MLE as did BOS, ORL, and the Lakers (potentially?) . . .

Don't know what we did, but if none of those 3 teams bite, it's just a matter of preference for him.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think of it like this... How much do you need to pay the guy who fills the most glaring hole on the team? Someone to back up the three and bring toughness and a spark off the bench? Make Billups healthy and switch Jarvis and Posey in the ECF and there's no banner in Beantown. Posey is getting old, and will probably be washed up before a long term deal is done, and maybe we've just seen his best years.

You could argue again though that the Pistons are a year late. Fire Flip last year and things would have been different, bring in Posey last year and things would have been different.

Regardless, five or six mil seems a small price to pay if you get what Posey brought to the Celtics and to the Heat.