Dumars: Pistons Won’t Be Active Before Deadline

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by monrams99, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Brap

Brap Starter

Imagine Rip right now on an established team with great leadership. He'd come in as a spoke in the wheel, and wouldn't try taking over all the time, like he does on this team (to very bad effect - since our team NEEDS Stuckey to take over). But on a championship level team, Rip would be a fantastic pickup. Some team that wants to win a championship this year or next year is going to really want to find a way to put a deal together that works for the Pistons. Of all the potentially available shooting guards in the league, Rip is far and away the best available for a top team.

2. max

max All-Star

Excellent analysis. I wonder if even Rip is finding this out now.

3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

already have seen it - does not work.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

These teams would be knocking down the Pistons door if he had not signed his extension.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I gotta feeling that Iggy being on the block will free up the Pistons to make a deal with Philly...
    Iggy & contract for TMac followed by Rip & Kwame for Dalembert & filler(making Philly a player in this years FA market).
    This will set Joe up for the summer of 2011... when most teams have already exhausted their cap on this years FAs.
    The cost of quality FAs should also come cheaper in 2011 if all of this "hard cap" talk happens

6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

It depends on the style of the player involved, his age and the team placement for value on staying in the playoff picture.

I've gone over previously some player assets he brings. Playoff teams usually have a powerful 3, a solid Center and an aggressive guard in single or double guard combination. It would seem that a pickup player would not be the stationary type. They need to mix with the in-between areas and bring slick-like movement. They need to have a nice mid-range shooting and understand good passing around this area. Most of us have noticed that once Rip gets out of his shooting mentality, he has a good eye for passing around the basket. I stress the latter word of around the basket; where he gets into trouble is his cross court passes near the top circle or in some combination that block his side court shooting. He can hit the 3 pt. shot, so even a step in or two can help neutralize the cheats on him. He needs to go to a club that can execute P/R.

He is only 31, still in excellent shape and decent in size. This year has been his only seriously injured year and he doesn't have the accompaniment players to force him into his normal set routines. I doubt that will ever occur since this club doesn't like to hire strong coaches.

His contract scooted under the line at the right time (for him at least). Still, his skills at mid-range will not diminish, as long as he is stays in good shape. RIP has never been called lazy and his conditioning does not diminish throughout the season. Important history for a club to know when taking on this contract. This means also, that the club has to be in solid shape to march around the final playoff spot for the next 1-3 years. Have an owner (like Cuban) who knows the stable points of the club and finds the in-fill solutions perhaps more challenging, then the worry-beads surrounding the Dirk's of this world. It has to be the right club to use RIP and his contract.

7. pass99

Everyone sees this but the most important set of eyes. Even a 2X4 won't work with JD.

8. pass99

He panics and I seriously doubt he has anyone around him who knows Machiavellian politics to balance this problem.

Of course the majority of teams in the NBA have far more bad contracts than this one. JD does have astute ability to bring out those studded ballerina flats as things begin to ice over.

9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

LOL @ Orlando asking its fans what was dumars' biggest blunder:

Drafting Darko
    Trading Billups
    Signing Gordon/CV
    Hiring Curry

Its seems like everybody knows its over here in Detroit but us...LOL

10. max

max All-Star

I don't think they should laugh until they are able to win a title. They have not even won a Finals game yet.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

That's a good point... if they don't make it in the next two years they'll less of a player than the Pistons from 2011- ????
    Certainly can't blame them going for broke.

12. Brap

Brap Starter

Apologizing for or being embarrassed about Dumars is about as assinine as it gets. A championship, a near championship and 4 other ECF's appearances - especially given where the team was (WASN'T really -- god we were hopeless and wrapped up with the worst contracts in the sport) when Joe took over, is remarkable.

All teams take a dive after their periods of greatness. That's unavoidable. Now we get the fun of hoping we can do it again. And any team with Stuckey, the 3 rookies, Bynum, Gordon and CV has something potentially very promissing to build on. Now let's hope the ping pong ball gods treat us well.

13. max

max All-Star

I don't think its proper to call someones opinion assinine.

14. Brap

Brap Starter

Sorry - apologies to anyone I offended.

15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Very realistic answer from Silvertongue this time to one of "burning questions"

from his latest mailbag:
    I hope you all understand now why I dislike this moaning in this forum "ohwhyohwhynominutesfordaye". There is bigger picture...

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This concept never seems to hit home... at this juncture it should be about obtaining value for the moving parts...
    then it better be rookie time.

17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yeah, and if it's not the fans have every right to revolt. Hell, it's painful right now watching Prince and Hamilton play 35 minutes a night. Not sure if I could stomach that the rest of the year. :gun1:

18. DesmoPiston

DesmoPiston First Round Draft Pick

It's asinine to call someones opinion assinine while you're trying to call it asinine. :behindsof

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

20. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

I was thinking the same exact thing.
    Rip+Tay for Ray+Big Baby. Makes them a bit younger, keeps them in contention, and they become huge players in the 2011 free agency market - with Tay, Sheed, Pierce, and Perkins coming off the books.