Dumars: Pistons Won’t Be Active Before Deadline

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by monrams99, Jan 27, 2010.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thank you Merc.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe D seems to really like all three rookies.

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

translation:

KL: If you could clear salary in a trade for a player with an expiring contract, would you do it?

JD: In a heartbeat.

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're trying to tell me we haven't had any minutes to play Summers ON THIS ROSTER???????? :gun1::gun1::gun1:
    :frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sure the Pistons have had 6 or 7 serious injuries this season, but until you have that 8th man go down, I don't see how you can find a spot for Summers to get any minutes....especially in the midst of a playoff race.

7. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

How good can Joe think he is if a lottery / TOP 5 picking team can't find minutes because there are too many good guys in front of him. Especially since said guys have been injured for a majority of the season.

8. Brap

Brap Starter

In SL play, most observers, me included, thought Summers played the best out of the 3 rookies, although Jerebko and Daye were also impressive. And Summers has great athleticism, and what looks to be a very mature offensive game, not to mention a great NBA ready body.

But Jerebko's development, Daye's great upside, has rightfully squeezed the available minutes for Summers -- very understandable.

The Pistons need to give each of their guys on the bubble (Kwame, Maxiell, Wilcox) steady minutes over a long enough timeof consecutive games, playing with healthy teammates, to evaluate them going forward. I'll bet Summers time will come this season, albeit in the last month or two.

I'm convinced based on what I saw this Summers, that the Pistons are authentically high on Summers.

9. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I see your point, but Maxiel has shown the organization what he is - to call him fringe player would negate the 5 million / yr extension Joe though he was worth. As for Kwame - we know what he is too, as he has had his time to gain rotation minutes for two coaches now and lost. I will give you Wilcox as he is new and nicked up. With the trade deadline apporaching and another rebuilding off season / draft coming you need to know what these rookies have to see which ones to send packing or draft at the same positions.

10. Brap

Brap Starter

Oh, I agree.

I'm never happy seeing Kwame or Wilcox play, and I hate Tay playing more than 30 minutes per game. I think I hate watching Maxiell play, but lately I'm not so sure of that. If he could come in every game and give us 15-20 minutes off the bench of bust his ass play -- I mean every game, and I'm not sure he's reliably done that for us in the past -- then he could be a valuable piece going forward.

But I really want Daye playing every day, and I want Summers to get a run where he plays significant minutes every game too. Jerebko is a given -- that kid has totally earned major rotation minutes.

11. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

On the flipside, you could argue that we need to play the guys like Max, Kwame, Wilcox some regular minutes so they can be show-cased for potential trades - especially coming into the trade deadline period. If you know that this logjam will be freed up next season you can probably wait a little bit to give Summers his chance, considering you have 2 other rookies already getting some decent burn.

12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

How come you don't have Tay driving the tank??

13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Haha, I made it before the nickname came about. I suppose he can be the 2IC. :drillsergeant:

14. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

everyone wants to win from trades and you do not win when you're sending the message: I'm selling cheaply.

JoeD surely wants to see what other GMs are willing to offer. there is plenty of time to sell known players for expiring contracts when there is not "to get value for his players" type of deals available.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Excellent point, but doesn't this now ruin your theory that Rip and Tay are unwanted/untradeable players! See you in Confession!

17. bucky53

bucky53 Second Round Draft Pick

Joe was allowed to draft Darko instead of Wade or Anthony.The Pistons organization allowed Dumars to gamble with its future without any input from who I consider the best coach in basketball in the last 20 plus years and that is Larry Brown. He took us to a Championship ,the following year to the seventh game of the championship series and was then fired. From all accounts he did not want Darko, he wanted Anthony. That was attributed to Anthony and Brown attending the same university-Syracuse. Without Larry Brown the Pistons don't win a championship and because Joe D. thought he didn't need help from the only coach to win titles in both college and the pro's or anybody in the organization he was allowed to make a decision that would change the course of the team from being a perennial playoff team to a laughingstock. Joe couldn't have won three championships without riding the coattails of Isiah Thomas and Larry Brown. By himself he has single handedly set the organization back to square one. Stay put with basketball decisions until the Pistons find another GM.

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Your leading a question here without the facts (if there are any facts).

This is a chutzpa first post. Follow along and start to bring out the profundity of your personality/perceptions. In doing that:

Welcome to the forum.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Larry Brown's team drafted a 7' European player in the first round last year, didn't play him, and then sent him to the D-League. Now, they guy gets a hand injury and is in a cast.

History repeating itself. In 2 seasons, Ajinca has played a total of 212 minutes. He's going to fall short of Darko's 403 minutes in his first 2 seasons most likely. And keep in mind that this Ajinca dude is a D-League all-star... so it's not like he's clueless. Averaging 14.6 pts, 7.5 rebs, and 3.1 blocks (2nd in the D-league).

20. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

May I conclude that you must be in some serious basketball related business, sir.:)