Dumars Q & A For All You Dumars Haters

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 1, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, instead of hoping to replicate the success of this last group, how about going all out to maximize its' potential?

More and more I think that Dumars biggest mistake was not re-fortifying the team after the lost in '05.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

exactly

3. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

"Playing a lot of games is hard." - Joe Dumars

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

I know it was hard for CB, Rip, Sheed, Tay & Dyess to play all those games so I figured if I just removed one of the guys outright it would be easier on the remaining 4.

I know it was hard playing all those games and I knew Sheed was approaching his 1000th game and he and Dyess were both 34 so I figured we should increase their minutes.

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

But he did...he got Flip.

:brick:

6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound:

7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Notice that not once was Michael Curry or the subject of coaching brought up.

Joe D: Ok Keith, here are a list of topics we won't be discussing
    Keith: Sorry, what? I was just basking in your brilliance...
    Joe D: Don't bring up Curry
    Keith: I'm not a complete fool
    Joe D: Good

8. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

\

I agree totally. I'm glad we have Dumars, I know he gets a whole bunch of hate and has made mistakes, but who doesnt? I also watch and follow the Lions, so Dumars is god compared to what Lions fans have had to go through. Imagine being a Knicks fan...Horrible GMs have ruined them (Sorry Isiah).

JoeD takes alot of crap for not bringing in new blood during our six year run, but dude what was he going to do? He tried to bring in different bench scrubs (who lived up to their scrub titles) and thats all he could really do. What did you want him to trade Tay in '05? Trade RIP in '06. No way. We still had a shot. He brought in Dyess (good move), but it never panned out. I do believe he hung on to the core a year to long, but it is what it is and it was exciting watching those six years. We're down now, but I have faith JoeD will bring us back up and we'll be competing again.

Not to mention we are in much a nice postion. We have all this cap room in a horrible economy. Teams are going to try to get rid of salary (Ala Pau Gasol for nothing, Hornets trying to trade Chandler for nothing) this is where we come in. We have money, they don't. We are in a good position. Let's see what JoeD does this summer.

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Two points of historical reference:

1. Sometimes you throw a party and the expected guess do not show up and the ones who do, have a nasty way of embarrassing one.

2. JD has a tendency to panic.

10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I hear you but based on your;

Point #1 - When the waiter brought Joe the Menu, he didn't order from the buffet, he picked from the menu.

Point #2 - If panic will get you 20-22 million in cap space, I will take that every time.

11. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I think for me, the time for listening to Joe D talk is over. He needs to follow the marketing slogan and "go to work".

I'm giving him the chance though. He built this thing from the ground up and we won a title. Of course it was not properly maintained over the years, but now that this team has run its course, he deserves the chance to tear down and successfully rebuild.

In my eyes he has earned this much.

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't understand where all this anti-Dumars sentiment is coming from. What's the problem with Dumars? He did a damn good job fielding a competative team without hamstringing the franchise financially. He could have done better. Its like punishing your kid for getting a B+ instead of an A.

I agree that Dumars should have gone ''all in'' when he had the hot hand instead of hedging his bets on longevity. But that's hindsight. And really, the only catastrophic blunder was drafting Darko. Because Darko sucked. His attitude sucked. His potty mouth sucks when it gets translated on youtube. And well, Dumars pulled the trigger on that one so he sucks. In fact, making it to the ECF 6 times sucks cuz you only made it thru twice and on top of that failed to win it all half the time you were there. That sucks. I hate it. And I hate Joe for it. So he should go. Booo!! Fire Dumars!

13. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Great post Slippy!! I dont understand where all of this "hating" is coming from either. Most of the posters on here in my opinion are crybabies are are spoiled by recent success. I guess they dont understand the notion that it is extremely difficult to have continuity in success in professional sports. Every franchise after great succes after a prolonged period of time goes through a rebuilding process. Just ask the Pistons of yesteryear, Bulls, Celtics, etc.

Joe is still the man in my opinion he would have to screw the pooch a couple more years before I start "hating" on him. I think we need to stop being emotional like little kids and put things into perspective for a change.

14. Nemo

Since Joe is allowing Curry one more year, than Joe's grade should equal Curry's grade. If he felt Curry didn't do the job, then he should have removed him. With Curry staying than...Joe = Curry. And you're giving them a B+. I see it more of a drop as the kid going from an "A" to a "C-" grade (below .500 season). At that point, there would have to be punishment for the kid...

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

The Bulls, Celtics and Lakers all had greater and more prolonged stretches of greatness so it makes sense that they would suffer a greater dropoff. When those teams gather they don't reminisce about their .333 winning percentage in the conference finals.

The team and Dumars did have options and chose to slice and dice the MLE instead of adding a productive player. You can't win every year which is why you have to make the most of it when you can.

A little while back we were trying to come up for a name for this past era and to me nothing fits better than One Player Away. That was then though. Now they need a lot more.

P.S. The Pistons have been in "ideal financial condition" every year since they won the title.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

What are the chances that Dumars gets Shaq from the Suns for next season and re-signs Sheed & Dyess?

If he did this it would placate the we need a dominant C crowd as well as the safety net of Shaq's salary coming off the book for (brace yourself) the 2010 greatest free agent class of all time!

17. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Exactly. How can anyone seriously want to fire JoeD and all this when we just went to six ECF in a row, two finals appearances, and one title. It just doesn't make sense. This year JoeD finally did something to "break up the core" and people whine about it. If he didn't break up the core people would have whined that he kept the core. It's halarious to see people hate this much on JoeD after he built this team up from basically nothing. Maybe in 3-4 years if we suck and have no future then it would be acceptable to question him, but please GIVE THE MAN A CHANCE to rebuild again.

18. linwood

linwood All-Star

The level of discontent from the Detroit fans is mind blowing. I watched this team struggle, struggle, struggle with Grant Hill, Allan Houston, Bison Dele, etc. etc. The recent Joe Dumars run has really been amazing.

The team really sucked this year, but most of the contracts are reasonable or expiring, so there is no reason to believe that the team can't be competitive in the next couple of years, instead of the 10 it took in Teal.

The only real question I have is MC, but I think maybe Joe holds on to him until we have a legit team, and then they pull the trigger on a winning coach.

19. Nemo

I wouldn't want to fire Joe, but I do give him a C- for his last season. About 5 more seasons like that and then I'll talk about firing the guy. Fro me, his first bad move that made no sense was to keep Curry. There was logic behind the other moves that backfired. I was on his side with Darko, AI, and signing Sheed. Also thought Flip was worth the gamble. To me, the Curry move hasn't been explained and I would agree with the opinion that he "spun" a good story in keeping him.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Do all the people who clamor for front court help realize that Joe gave away Primoz Brezec for nothing? They couldn't have used him against that young athletic front line that Cleveland has?