Dumars Q & A For All You Dumars Haters

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 1, 2009.

1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Primoz Brezec, Slovenia | Player Profiles by Interbasket

They call him, "the most successful european center in the NBA"

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

3. max

max All-Star

It fell short thats why. if someone told you after 04 that we would not win another and would get bounced from the ECF 3 times in a row then I think most of us would have been pretty dissapointed by that.

Something I don't like about the term "hater". Just because someone has a different opinion on the matter.

Joe should have done something sooner. But we will see what he does now.

4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

If the Piston slide can be contained, Joe would be the guy to do it. Strange to see him criticized when the aging of the team was obvious and not reversible.

People who criticize Joe rarely criticize the Darko pick which was his biggest blunder or running the team on the cheap with second rate bench talent (we can all name the names since 2005). But wasn't the latter the ownership fault? Don't know.

Criticize Joe for not drafting great players in the 25th or 28th spot or the second round. But which GM hits winners time and again with those picks? And many think that the problem with the Pistons does not involve the ability of our youth to step up, that is, some see those picks as good picks. Joe did what he could in the draft notwithstanding the Darko pick. You don't get Rose, Gordon, Aldridge, Paul, etc., etc. picking in the 20s. Or even the teens.

The next year or two will tell if Joe can rebuild the team on the fly or whether the Pistons will actually need to fall into the bottom ten to get a franchise player as most teams do after great runs like that of the Pistons.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Darko pick aside, how do you defend/justify the Curry rehiring?

6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I still think developing Anthony Goldwire properly would have resulted in at least another title or 2. Yet another Pistons prospect given up on too early.

7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Darth, with all the personnel related problems the Pistons are having now, I don't justify the Curry re-hiring nor not justify it. At this point, the coaching issue takes a back seat to making this team, younger and meaner but not less talented (meaning our current youth cannot be relied upon).

Looking back, Flip has still not learned to coach deep into the playoffs and I would say hiring him was a Joe mistake. But even there, reality is far more complex because the team was run on the cheap with very questionable second team players (we can all name them). A Posey-type was never brought in for example. So was hiring Flip the main problem or not fortifying the Piston personnal after the ship the reason the Pistons did not win another ship? And then, was that on Joe or was that on the owner? Seems to me you spend when you get to that elite level because it is a hard and rare thing to do.

Curry's time will come or not (if he improves) when Joe feels he has a quality team. I just heard the interview. He is clear that he doesn't feel the Piston team of this year was good enough. That is the premise he is operating from and I agree with that premise. The guy is flat out sharp in basketball. I learn something everytime I listen to his interviews.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

If Joe thought this team was not good enough then why did he fire Flip Saunders? He may as well have kept him just to save the money if for no other reason. His reasoning for firing Flip was that Flip under achieved. So he apparently thought the talent was there for Flip, right? So why pick up TLM if the talent was there?

So he picks up TLM and the team gets worse. Much. So now Curry doesn't have the talent says Joe D. I'm not sure how this makes Curry not know how or when to call a time out, though.

I guess Joe says whatever is the convenient excuse at the moment.

Personally, I thought the interview was filled with empty words and BS. I received no insight whatsoever from him.

I've been in Joe's corner the entire time, but I think maybe he just got lucky.

Bad draft choices, coaching carousels, it all finally caught up with him. Maybe he will redeem himself this summer. I hope he does.

I don't agree that the coaching issue takes a back seat. I don't think they can win with Curry irregardless of who is on their roster. I think Joe Dumars needs to take some accountability and be straightforward for a change. Do I think Joe should be fired? Hell no. But this is surely his mess, IMO.

Oh, and yeah, the team sux IMO. Again, that's on Joe D. for holding onto them too long. He should have done something more after 2006 at the latest, IMO.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't know if you hung at the DetNews back in the day, but Anthony Goldwire was actually the beginning of the Rufus Henry legend.

I think there are probably only 3 or 4 people who remember that.

10. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I see almost everyone on here talking about this, but honestly, was this move not made for anything but gaining cap space? Did anyone honestly think Allen Iverson was supposed to be our savior? I never expected AI to help push us into the finals, and I never expected him back next season, the moment we traded for him. I didn't expect to make the finals with Chauncey still in the line up either, so thats why I don't really fault Joe for the AI experiment.

I thought it was to clear cap space, nothing more, nothing less. Anything else AI was able to give us last season was supposed to be a bonus. Why would you terade for a guy who has never won anything in his life, and expect him to be the guy that helps you "over the hump".

11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Darth,

Fair enough. Joe fired Flip based on the notion the team underachieved. Maybe he needs to re-evaluate the last two years. Flip was not good deep into the playoffs. But maybe the team he was given was not deep enough also. Joe tended to overrate his guys...

Joe's thinking has changed as the season went on. But so has most every fan. Bottom line is that Joe is facing the reality: his team is not good enough. I would expect him as the GM to give a cold sober view of what he has and he has done so. Many fans don't want to face his conclusions. I took most of the year to finally admit to myself that the run was over even though I knew that age was catching up with the team. I don't disregard fans who criticize Curry except for the fact that many of those same fans refuse to face the compelling evidence that the players are also not good enough. It is always Curry this or that but not that Sheed had nothing to give or Maxiel didn't improve his game, etc.

The draft choices--I disagree on. You don't re-make an elite team with picks at 25, 28 and second rounders. Stuckey at 15 was not high enough either. You really need at least one top 5 pick and oh, that was Darko. Now, that is on Joe.

I don't look for Joe to re-make the team in the draft so much as thru free agents and trades.

12. max

max All-Star

Could be that Joe may not have been very happy with Curry but did not see the grounds to fire him with all the stuff happening this year. Things like overestimating Stuckey and AI, all the injuries,..

Remember this. From the 1st 50 win season in 2002 there were only 2 players left from that roster on the 2004 championship team. So changes can happen pretty fast without high draft picks.

13. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

If JoeD was all that, then he could have rebuilt the franchise over the All-Star break! ;)

14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Joe D has been overrated as a GM. But he still makes sound choices overall. Curry still a coach? Its not like he locked in good money on a one hit wonder and its hanging like an albatross around the franchises neck.

We're not going anywhere with or without Curry. IMO, rebuilding requires a good draft choice or another Ben Wallace. You need someone who overperforms his payscale. Any FA you bring in will slightly underperform because they're getting so much. That kinda means we're going to stink it up next year. A lot of youth. A lot of losses. After that you got money for FAs and hopefully a decent pick.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Oh baby, stop the presses! It's part II of Joe D's sit down with award winning journalist Keith Langlois. Part 3 is tomorrow, but today we learn that Stuckey is building block A and building block B is the newest member of the Piston core Will Bynum.

PISTONS: Joe Dumars Q&A - Part II

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Pistons only traded CB and demoted AI to the bench because they had Will I AM GUNNAGETMINE Bynum in the stable, chomping at the bit.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Well, at least he nailed that question.

18. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Yeah, the Will Bynum gravy train's leaving the station! :pound: On a more serious note, it seems there still are sacred cows on this team and their names are Rodney Stuckey and Will Bynum. Hurray. Joe definitely needs to consider drafting a PG that has better PG instincts than the guys we currently have (though I do think he is thinking about it at least). A SF and/or C would be good too, if we can move up to get a decent one.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Don't underestimate this guy. The first Piston to "earn" his place purely through on the court performance since Tayshaun did it in the '03 playoffs.

20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Ernie, if this happens I am going to blame you for the whole year. My signature will read It's all Ernie's fault.

:)