Dumars Q & A For All You Dumars Haters

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 1, 2009.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

You know, I agree that the "keeping of Curry" is really a mistake, but I'm wondering if it's a delay tactic. What if Joe's trying to delay making a decision on Curry until after this summer's draft/FA pans out?

Just to be the devil's advocate for a second, if Joe cannot pull the necessary trades to put together a contender-caliber roster this summer, what's the point of firing Curry and eating his salary plus paying the salary for the next coach? If this summer's not as productive as we all hope to be, next year's also a throw-away development year and we're gearing up for the 2010 FA market.

But, if we get enough pieces this summer to put together a championship-caliber roster, what would stop Joe from firing Curry at that point and bring a qualified coach as the final piece to the puzzle. After all, he did hire Larry Brown when the time was right.

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I take the promotion of Bynum as good news. Despite the fact that players like Sheed & Dyess might not be around any longer it seems the Pistons will still be a guard oriented attack where none of the guards can dribble, shoot or pass very well. That will be comforting in this time of change.

Hopefully Max and Amir are only working on setting screens this offseason. Given Amir's supreme attention to detail I doubt he'll get called for any illegal screens next year.

3. Walter

So I guess he's 1/5 done with revamping the roster. Now, on to SG, SF, PF and C positions.

4. Walter

I really hope that Max is shooting some fritos.

We all saw he can set some sick screens during the Cleveland series. (that half court screen is the only thing I want to remember from that series)

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

I was thinking this the other day as well. What if C's assistant Tom Thibodeau is available after the playoffs like I think he is? Maybe Dumars is waiting.

Hiring a guy like Thibodeau makes the most sense if they're rebuilding. He could implement a defensive system that would allow an identity to form and put them in a position where they're one player away again.

6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I like this.

I hope you're right.

ABC = "Anyone But Curry"

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Hold on to your hat, this is what you've been waiting for, Part III of Joe's interview with award winning journalist Keith Langlois.

Today we learn that Amir & Max did not improve, losing is bad, he expects Kwame back and the team is in great position for the future. Viva la Pistons!

PISTONS: Joe Dumars Q&A - Part III

8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

[​IMG] InterBasket > profiles > Dumars
    [SIZE=-2]InterBasket > Player Profiles > [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Joe Dumars, Usa[​IMG][/SIZE]Accomplishments: Joe Dumars owns a gold medal as a tri-captain for the gold-medal winning U.S. National Team at the 1994 World Championship of Basketball in Toronto, Canada. He received the first-ever NBA Sportsmanship Award in 1996-97, given to the player who best represents the ideals of sportsmanship on the court (subsequently, the award was named after Dumars). Won the Walter J. Kennedy Citizenship Award for the 1993-94 season. Michael Jordan once said that Dumars (and Mitch Richmond) was his toughest defenders... named to the 1988-89, 1989-90, 1991-92 and 1992-93 NBA All-Defensive First Team and to the 1990-91 NBA All-Defensive Second Team. Was placed on the 1992-93 All-NBA Second Team and to the 1989-90 and 1990-91 All-NBA Third Team. On September 09, 2006 Dumars was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall-Of-Fame along with Dominique Wilkins and Charles Barkley.
    Joe Dumars ProfileName: Joe Dumars
    Nickname: Joe-D
    Born: May 24, 1963
    Status: Retired as player, active as President of Basketball Operations for the Detroit Pistons; Inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall-Of-Fame on September 09, 2006
    Origin:Shreveport, Louisiana
    Height: 6-3/1,90m
    Weight: 190lbs/87kg
    Schools: Natchitoches Central High School (Louisiana), McNeese State '85
    Drafted: 1985, First Round, 18th pick overall by the Detroit Pistons
    Languages: English
    Teams (jersey): McNeese State, Detroit Pistons (4), US National Team
    Ibn Notes: Joe Dumars never wanted to stick out, and he didn't until it mattered. Whether as the NBA Finals MVP during the Detroit Pistons first championship (with Isiah Thomas, Dennis Rodman, and Bill Laimbeer on the same team) or as the quiet, nice guy that played amongst the rough and tumble Detroit "Bad Boys." Always the consumate team player and citizen, Joe D established himself as an all-star without overly-flashy play, self-promotion, or sound-bites. During his entire 14-years with the Detroit Pistons he won two NBA titles, appeared in six NBA All-Star games and was an MVP in the 1989 NBA Finals. Dumars, along with Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer, Dennis Rodman, Rick Mahorn, Vinnie Johnson, James Edwards, and Mark Aguirre (Adrian Dantley) formed the core group of the Bad Boys; the Detroit Piston team that won the NBA Championship in 1989 and 1990, and winning the Central Division crown and Eastern Conference Titles in 1988, 1989, and 1990.
    "It was my personal mission never to allow myself to fall into the athlete stereotype of being brash, loud, not be articulate," he said. "I will never let people say that about me. I will carry myself the way I was taught -- I was taught humility, pride, respect for other people. We have to be better role models. You just can't talk about it, we have to walk the walk. For 14 years, I wanted to win championships, but do it the right way, not compromise who or what I am to get fame." -- Joe Dumars, closing remarks during his inception speech for the basketball hall-of-fame.
    Joe Dumars Links[SIZE=-3]From our forum: [SIZE=-3]Retrospectives: Charles Barkley, Joe Dumars, Dominique Wilkins, Nba Forum Articles and other resources: Joe Dumars Player Profile (Wikipedia), Dream Come True (Detroit News), Fittingly, Dumars slips in Hall of Fame under the radar (SI.com), Dumars says there's no rift with Thomas (MLive.com)[/SIZE]Is this the Joe D that you all are talking about???????????[/SIZE]

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yes.

What somebody does as an athlete and outside of that are two entirely different matters. :)

Not comparing Joe to this guy. Joe D. is nothing like him. Just illustrating a point.

[​IMG]

10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

[SIZE=+2]Faces of OJ: Tough kid, football [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]hero, media star, murder suspect[/SIZE]

The actions of our past sometimes dictates who we will be for the rest of our lives.

There are no parallels to be drawn between Joe and OJ, you can't even use the same concept because Joe's life was one of humbleness and great character which carried over to who he is today.

Based on my observations, Joe D appears to possess the same demeanor that he had as a player, I don't see any underlying character issues with him.

I remember OJ from back in the day, he was very arrogant and pompous and I recognized that he had an air of invincibility.

I don;t think you drew a fair correlation.

OJ was a troubled kid who always exhibited anger, frustration with a penchant for getting into trouble.

Check out the article below:

These are the pictures of an American icon.
    At 6, he smiles shyly into the camera, a little boy in a too-big suit, sleeves brushing his knuckles, pants billowing around his ankles.
    Just over a decade later, the tentative smile has widened into the confident grin of a football star on the rise.
    At thirtysomething, the by-now famous face flashes the megawatt beam of a pitchman as he lopes through airports and mugs through films of varying quality.
    On June 17, the smile vanishes, replaced by the empty, stunned stare of a man accused of murdering his ex-wife and her friend.
    Tough kid-turned football hero-turned media star, O.J. Simpson has worn many faces. On Sept. 26, he assumes yet another identity: a man on trial for his freedom.
    "Don't feel sorry for me. I've had a great life, great friends. Please think of the real O.J. and not this lost person." - Letter left behind when Simpson fled police, June 17.
    In the beginning, there was the charm.
    Joe Bell, who played football with Simpson at Galileo High School in San Francisco, remembers watching Simpson hone his people-winning skills at the gates of the '49ers football stadium, wheedling extra tickets from softhearted fans and then promptly scalping them.
    "You had to convince some guy that was coming to the game who had an extra ticket that you were a poor kid that wanted to see the game, so at a very young age we learned to court public sympathy," Bell says.
    From the inside, he says, Simpson's well-documented rise over rickets, an absentee father and the Potrero Hill housing projects was gradual, not the march to destiny it appears in retrospect.
    Reality hit one day toward the end of Simpson's days at the University of Southern California when, for grins, the two added up the money Simpson could make if he accepted all the speaking engagements that were pouring in.
    "I said, 'Man, you are on your way,"' Bell recalled.
    Simpson's football exploits are legend: Heisman Trophy, 1968; Buffalo Bills top pick, 1969; National Football League record of 2,003 yards rushing, 1973; Pro Football Hall of Fame, 1985.
    Off the field, there were more triumphs, his briefcase-toting commercials for Hertz, his career as a football commentator, and roles in a string of movies that were less than Oscar-caliber but served to cement his nice-guy image.
    It all added up to a lifestyle far removed from the winding streets of Potrero Hill.
    "At one point in my life my purpose was to be known. To be liked and known by people." - Interview with the San Francisco Examiner, March 1978.
    Some said Simpson had moved too far from his roots. There were criticisms that he surrounded himself with white friends, took diction lessons to Anglicize his speech and was a scarce figure in the old neighborhood.
    Simpson said those who faulted him didn't really know him.
    In 1974, when a San Francisco newspaper said his movie "The Klansman," would set "race relations back 50 years," he responded, "What do they mean by race relations? I don't trip off the fact that I'm black and you're white. I don't go into the Buffalo Bills and say, 'Let's establish race relations.' That's 10 years old."
    But if there were fissures in the genial image, they were largely obscured by the patina of success.
    There was the $5 million estate in the exclusive Brentwood area of Los Angeles, the Rolls-Royce, winters in Aspen, and summers at an oceanfront house in Orange County.
    The boy who once scooped up abandoned stadium seat cushions for the pennies-back deposit now, according to his houseguest Brian "Kato" Kaelin, sometimes carried nothing smaller than a $100 bill.
    "Everyone sees this golden hero, or golden nice guy, but I have my faults, too." - Interview with the San Francisco Examiner, March 1978.
    Simpson's 11-year marriage to high school sweetheart Marguerite Whitley broke up in 1979, the same year their daughter, 23-month-old Aaren, died in a swimming pool accident.
    By the time of the divorce, Simpson already was deep into a relationship with Nicole Brown Simpson, an 18-year-old waitress he met at a Beverly Hills nightclub called the Daisy. Their seven-year marriage ended in 1992, although they continued to live near each other and often were seen together at events.
    The only public documentation of Simpson's temper was New Year's Day 1989, when he beat his wife and she told police, "He's going to kill me." Simpson pleaded no contest to a charge of wife-beating, agreeing to a fine, community service and counseling. He later dismissed the altercation as "no big deal;" he pleaded no contest only to avoid more publicity.

11. Darth Tater

A. G.,

I said the two were nothing alike. Joe is indeed a very good man. O.J.,well...not even close, IMO.

But still, I think the criticism aimed at Joe is fair. He talks out of both sides of his mouth during interviews, he hired a buffoon for coach, and he hasn't exactly drafted well. You know, we sang his praises when the Pistons did well. Why should he not shoulder some of the blame in the bad times.

Regardless of what he did in the past on the court, I believe the criticism is fair. Maybe not accurate always...but fair.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

I don't get all the OJ haters in here. The man is a football hero who made a couple of bad decisions and everyone wants to bury him. Plus he totally nailed the part of Detective Nordberg in the Naked Gun films.

13. Darth Tater

Ernie, you have rapidly become one of my top ten favorite posters.:pound:

14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

On the third part:

Dumars understands the problem of lack of three point shooting on the roster (post-Billips) and will address this issue. Thanks, Joe.

On Amir and Maxiel: they didn't move forward. I agree with Joe.

On Kwame: He got better and will probably stay. Hard to find a big. I disagree slightly as Kwame did not step up in the playoffs and looked lost at times in the Cav series.

15. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Some of the team's non-improvements came from all the lineup shuffling. Heck, the lineup shuffling continued all the way to game 4 of the effing playoffs. I do believe some of Stuckey's struggles came from being made to lead a team of veterans on the floor, which would've been hard for anyone. Also, it sounds like he fully intends to use the team's picks. I hope we pick someone decent.

On Max and Amir - these 2 got shuffled around more than anyone. Starting, then going back to the bench, random dnps, a cameo here and there, garbage minutes, real minutes, and so on.

Kwame is what he is. Stone hands and decent interior D. You can't expect him to catch passes guys like Sheed or Dice would catch, but he's a big body; all teams can use one of those. I've watched the guy since he was with the Lakers - he did not all of a sudden improve - that's what he's always been and done. Curry just started playing him more.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Thanks Darth!

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Don't be fooled...it's part of his come-on. Pretty soon he'll be PM'ing you with pole dance stories and asking you to swap lingerie & high heels with him :sssh:

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I do believe you are concentrated.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

I drink lots of coffee and eat bran muffins when that happens. Hope this helps!

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Shoot, I thought he asked for a video of my routine because he was interested in excercising.