1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Dumars still has done nothing

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

They are talking about trading Rip for Boozer, another power forward. Pointless.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

He just signed a coach that nobody else wanted/ Since 2004, he has done nothing but cap moves - nothing to improve the team. How many years do you imagine we should give him?

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Apparently you are missing the point. Joe has done zilch so far, and zilch for the past 4 years. As soon as he does just one single thing to improve the team, I will applaude him for it.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The "can't be done thing" is getting a bit old. That talk started in earnest when we acquired AI. Still waiting. Not just nothing has been done, but Dumars has not given us a single hint that he knows what the teams needs are. (Hint Joe - a 2nd quality point guard, a 2nd quality small forward, and a center to replace what we lost defensively when Sheed left.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have never actually cared how old a player is. Cliff Robinson was 35 when we got him, and I agreed that Cliff was our 2nd best player (after Stack - if not our best player.) Cliff set all the picks, boxed out well, could hit the three, score around the basket a bit, and oh, was perhaps the best post defender in the league that year. And Billups leaving sets none to well with me either. Him and Stuck made one fine pair of point guards.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Dumars is planting a garden without asking who likes what food from the garden. The food will all go to waste, cause nobody wants what he planted.

7. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Who is nobody else? Fans that want him to build a championship contending team overnight, and hire an established head coach like Avery Johnson? Problem is the people who complain don't know who Kuester is, and they tend to just ignore his amount of experience and label him as a bust just because they, well, don't know who he is.

And people still complain about the Billups trade? Patience paid off, and Dumars got two top-tier free agents out of that trade instead of going forward with an aging pointguard with a washed up roster. Now people want to complain about BG and CV's faults and inconsistencies? Honestly, what would you want to see the man do?

I'm excited to see this fresh, young roster we have now go out and compete. Dumars isn't finished, either.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have already picked my first hungarian wax pepper. I got 8 of those plants this year, double from last year - cause they are good. (Actually had hot banana peppers last time - but they are really the same thing.)

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Don't forget backup small forward. My point is, everyone should be pointing out to Dumars the obvious, cause at this point - I have not a hint that Joe is paying attention.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Thank you.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

LA, you sound like Joe's publicist. But I ain't buying the book. NBA teams have a lot of things needed to make them a good team. Like a good point guard on the floor at all times - which you can't do if you just have one good one. As far as our youth vs. CV, you are not going to convince me that CV is going to play anywhere good enough defense to even be considered being on a Piston team. I will root for him, but Amir was our most active big man defender, and JMAX won games with his D here and there. Neither was perfect, but dagnabbit, the two could play some D. And not ever last season did Curry manage to play the two as a pair of forwards. (Actually, hardly a minute for either at small forward.) Curry never tried to get the most out of these guys. Curry is gone, good - but Joe messed the situation up when he gave Amir away for cap space. Gordon may be able to score - but it won't matter if we don't have defenders to make the buckets hold up. (PS, Amir was given away before Curry got fired. Very bad timing. At least Joe woke up long enough to fire Curry - we got to keep his feet to the fire - keep him awake long enough to fill some of the huge gaps in this team.

We have no backup small forward going into next season. And not a word from Dumars that we even need one. Is he going to depend on one of the rookies?

How bad can Joe Dumars be to let Sheed walk for nothing. Sure, you could argue that Sheed was aging and no longer worth 10 million. But for what Boston is giving him? You trying to tell me that Dumars can't even manage to talk Sheed into staying - and playing a somewhat reduced role? This is non-sense. Mismanagement. Dumars slept for months after a disastrous season, could not even talk Sheed into for staying cheap - nor even hinted that we wanted him to stay around. Man, we all need to figure a way to majorly turn that volume up on his alarm clock. Wake up Joe.

Oh, and even Dyess is valuable. Sure Curry overplayed the guy. That does not make Dyess such a bad player. Just think if Dyess had peaked at the playoffs, instead of 2 months prior? We could have used some monster rebound games from Dyess. Again, Dumars can't seem to to talk to people into staying. Perhaps he waited a bit too ling to fire Curry.

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Lee...you have to at least be happy with the firing of Coach Curry? That alone means Joe has taken a step in the right direction.

You mentioned Cliff Robinson as an example of a great signing. I agree and JB was brought in that year too.

I see a couple of those type of moves coming up. If you look at it that way it's kind of exciting because Joe D is trying to do exactly what he did before.

When Joe originally said that Curry would coach this year I think a lot of us figured this was a wasted season coming up. It looks a lot different now.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well some people may not know who he is, but he was on our staff in 04 - and no, nobody even hinted that he was a possible future head coach. What do you think changed? So he got to watch Bron hog the ball. How does that make him better now than in '04?

14. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

Let's at least give this team some time, and actually see them play together before we judge.

It's extremely unlikely, but hell, they could have a 60 win season for all we know. It's like I've been saying all along, we just don't know until it happens, give Joe D some time, give the team some time, then we can judge.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hey, I am posting again. Part of that was yes, I was too depressed about Curry returning. (But going back to college was more to do with that.) I am happier, but the whole Curry fiasco should never have happened. Curry was trouble and nothing but. Nobody who thinks that they are going to be a great head coach year one - with no prior head coaching experience - and just one year as an assistant - has his head on quite straight. If Dumars could not recognize that, he truly must be asleep. (and Curry did not even think he needed the one year as an assistant.)

Now, as far as those Cliff Robinson, Jon Barry, Zelly Rebraca, Damon Jones types of moves (along with Corliss - these guys formed the Alternatorz, the best bench in the league that year), Joe has not pulled one off in many years. I got to see at least one such move now before I get the least bit excited about the upcoming season.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We can still watch the games - when the season starts. What we can do right now - as fans, is point out the "extremely unlikely" message to Joe.

17. max

max All-Star

PG - Stuckey, Bynum, and Gordan can play there - at least that's what he claims.

SF - I read they are going to play Day there until he Bulks up but that's up to the new coach. Plus we still have Afflalo. AA did a good job there last year - just because Curry did not stick with it does not mean the new coach will not.

Cliff Robinson was an abnormality in that he was able to play at top form that late in his career.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Billups was lightyears ahead of Stuck when we gave him away for cap space. Between Gordon, Stuckey, and Bynum, etc. maybe you have enough for backup point. But remember, we got AI for Billups, and now we have neither Billups nor AI. We don't have a quality starting point guard.

Moses Malone was still a very effective defender at 39 years old. Mutombo. Yes, older players can still contribute.

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Joe signed Gordon and CV.
    Joe found a new coach.
    Joe drafted 3 players and traded one for a pick and cash.
    Joe talked to Collins.
    Joe talked to Johnson.

Is that nothing?

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If not worse.