Dumars still has done nothing

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Jul 8, 2009.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bills, I could have written a whole lot better of a post than that! When is the last time you made a decent thread in here? You're just resting on the laurels of the comment about Darko's tinted windows you made that one time. If you don't change your avatar to a grilled cheese sandwich and post in the Mostly Joking Thread for once, I am DONE with this forum!
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Especially in an extra long off season where we're all going through Piston withdrawal. It's just cyber trash talk, what else we got to do other than play "what if" </p>
    So relax Roscoe, I mean the thread is titled "Dumars Has Done Nothing" started by Lee, whaddya expect?
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I know, and I thought long and hard about replying. But I have had people tell me they have had it with the negativity on the forum, and I'm appealing to a little more balance because the people who don't like negativity don't discuss back. They just leave the forum. And I don't want to run a forum where a dozen guys cry and moan about the good old days. I believe we have a lot more humor and creativity to share.

I'm relaxed. It is what it is. We won games we could have thrown. We drafted a guy almost no one is excited about. Joe has done little, signed the wrong FAs and ownership is a mess.

That's why I think setting these ultimatums are self-defeating. I accept Joe will disappoint any expectations this offseason, because he hasn't proven otherwise. If he does something, awesome, I will be pumped. If not, I won't have spent 2 months getting all lathered up about the unlikely.

Cousins was never falling to us. Joe didn't make trades he didn't make. Al Jeff was probably never on Joe's radar. It is what it is.

Can't change yesterday.

The real problem here IMO is ownership, not JD. It is impossible to make moves when you lose a patriarch like Bill D who spent decades putting people in place who worked from his principles, and now his wife who has none of his experience, and probably inspires none of his loyalty is thrust into a position of leadership and command.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It's just that I don't think I can ever top the Darko's tinted windows post. I peaked.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the 2010 re-hashing of this thread is spot on. Dumards is borderline dangerous. I don't see why he should be above the fray and not be criticized the same way the players are when the team struggles. I don't think that is being overly or unnecessarily negative.
  6. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

The deal was (or at least the rumors said it was..)

Rondo + Allen in exchange of Prince + Rip + Stuckey.

BUT..

Rondo didn't sign the extension yet.. and Prince - Rip - Stuckey weren't injured..

And Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva weren't on the Pistons roster yet.

_____

I still think that the deal would be really convinient for us.. I mean.. i would did it because the 22 million of expiring from Ray Allen in this free agency pool would be nice to at least atract some rumors..

But what is done is done.. Let's see into the future and visualise Austin Daye averaging 16-20 points with 5 rebounds and 2 blocks next year.. :pound:
  7. roscoe36

Who asked for a free pass for Dumars?
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

It is not a free pass (and certainly not directed towards you - I hadn't seen your last post) but more the implication from the folks complaining about negativity that we shouldn't criticize Joe because we don't know what he's been offered. (As if we don't have the last 5-6 years to go by.)

You are right about ownership.
  9. roscoe36

Who implied that?
  10. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I believe that we've always had an atmosphere to where people have been free to criticize the team. The problem now is that we're a bad team (in terms of won - loss record) and the insults hurt many of us (not me) much more. Remember, we always had 6 conference finals to fall back on...no matter how much we (not me) disliked Flip Saunders, or were critical of the on - off switch. Now, we have Nothing (that I can see) to hang our hat on.

Roscoe has the concern of alienating people by asking for more decorum, but runs the risk of the same by having too many restrictions.

Good Luck...Scoe...:)
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Raxrets and Mikhail1973 are the 2 who spring to mind, but I don't want to be a rat-fink. To me we were just expressing our differing opinions.
  12. coynejeremy

Let's get 'em!
    :mob-smiley2::mob-smiley2:

:MusicBigGrin:
  13. coynejeremy

I think it is the tone that has become more negative, not just the quantity of posts. It's ok to criticize but at times we have been almost consumed by our misery. That's not very appealing, nor is it necessary. Here's a suggestion, though: Whenever I wake up in the morning and feel particularly depressed because of Joe Dumars (practically every day), I just think about Darth Tater. Then right away, I have something to laugh about. That guy. :pound:
  14. roscoe36

Absolutely. We have offered the best criticism of any site about the Pistons for 5 years now. I am proud of our collective ability to critically analyze.

You guys (specifically DT and some others) have taught me a very valuable lesson about a year ago. I cannot make everyone happy. I probably can't make even a large number of you happy.

So I am going to do the only thing I can control, which is to make me happy.

And it makes me happy to have a thriving community, even if that community spends it's time rooting for the Philadelphia Dodos, talking about growing hot peppers, or making jokes about French Canadians in drag.

I have gotten into numerous debates with forum vets that it is my job to make sure we "keep it real" and "don't allow people to post foolishness".

Well, I am ok with people keeping it light and unserious while friendly, and most of the time, you guys are fantastic and maintain a high level of discourse, which is why when it was time this offseason to add moderators, I was thinking of ways to explain to them that they should try to do as little moderating as possible, because that is generally how we get the best results.
  15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hey, Roscoe, is discrimination allowed here? Of course, it is always Eastern Europeans' fault!!!

:stirthepot:
  16. mikhail1973

Come on, bring it on!

:gun1::gun1::gun1:
  17. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

The Philadelphia Dodo's...

Actually a team that should only play on Thanksgiving Day

Maybe with a helping of cornbread stuffing and some giblet gravy.

[​IMG]
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Now that we've squashed Negative-Gate 2010, can we get back to business? Beer me please:beer:Ahhh thank you, now :focus:

By no stretch of anyones imagination am I a fan of Tyson Chandler, but with Joe targeting him and Haywood, I can kinda see where Joe's head is at. Long, athletic, shot blocking, agile. Funny how BOTH of Joe's targets ended up Mavericks at the end of the day.

Now maybe I'm wrong, maybe Joe is going to move Rip in the middle of the season for Capp Spayce and then allow Tay to fall off the books giving us about $24M, but let's do the math
    $24,000,000
    - $4,000,000 (Bynum)
    - $2,000,000 (Ben)
    - $7,500,000 (Stuckey's new deal)
    $10,500,000.00......
    Can that land us a center next year? Assuming Greg Monroe is indeed good enough to be our starting PF it might be, especially with a lock out looming.
  19. mikhail1973

Now we may be onto something.
    Horford will be RFA and Atlanta's cap will bw very tight
    Davis
    Perkins
    Chandler
    Noah will be RFA and no way Bulls let him walk
    Dampier
    Marc Gasol RFA
    Dalembert

So, there are some players, although not much to hang your hat on.
  20. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Marc Gasol can definetely be as good as his bro, although his playing style is different, he has the same skillset. I'd love to see him in a Pistons uni. But I would have loved Jefferson too. And Joe probably rather re-signs RIP for 5 more years...