Dumars Talking To Two Teams About A. Johnson & #15 Pick

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 15, 2009.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

www.hoopshype.com/rumors

Information that Joe D is talking with two teams about AJ and the #15 pick. David Lee and Paul Millsap are the two supposed targets.

IMHO there will be a pistons trade on draft night.

2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee and Millsap? Your link says the Thunder and one other team, and doesn't name either of those two players as targets. Where did you get that from?

3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I just hope he doesn't trade the 15th just to dump Amir in exchange for some mediocre player.

4. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

First rounders are suppose to get guaranteed contracts...That being said, I think Joe sees dumping AJ and the 15th pick as a win-win situation from a financial perspective because we would be saving money for the long awaited all-stars.

Talks about Joe D going after two mediocre players (or unknowns) instead of 2 max-deal because of the collapse of the auto industry...the two mediocre guys are said to be Milsap and Lee.

Sounds like another salary dump including our 15th pick with the Thunder...this is a direct link to that article: BULLS: Sam Smith: Olympics could be in Derrick Rose’s future

5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Salary dump. Isn't that why we traded Chauncey? That worked out well. :ill::swear2:I just don't like doing whatever trades just to dump salary. Just start over. It's what the franchise needs. I hate being stuck in between the lottery and mediocrity.

Read somewhere JD wants to bring back Dice. For what? We're not winning anything next year - let him go somewhere he can win something.

6. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

The thunder have 3rd and 25th pick in the draft. They also have Shaun Livingston and Kevin durant. (Earl watson/Chucky Atkins). So who knows. The thunder have something to offer. I would be willing to guess that he may be either after the pick or Livingston.

Or Rip for Thabo.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I have a hard time believing anything Sam "the Sham" Smith writes.

The latest hot rumor from Insider (via several sources) says that Josh Smith is on the block in a salary dump.

I apologizes if this has already hit the board somewhere.

8. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Yes it has. We now have the cap space necessary to acquire new blood. And as Bill Simmons pointed out, Chauncey was MIA when the nuggests needed him most.

I am not sure what your idea of starting over is. Dumping salaries, including Chauncey's, to create cap space which may be used to trade for players and/or sign FAs sure sounds like starting over to me.

If Dice wants to return for the right price, then why not? He is a stand up guy who sets the standard for the youngsters in terms of having a work ethic and being professional. We need to reinvent the team, and keep winning at the same time. No point going down the same path the Pistons took in the post Isiah era, or the 'baby' Bulls in the post Jordan era, if one can avoid it, which Joe has explicitly stated is his goal, and rightly so.

9. max

max All-Star

I remember you pointed that out on the other board years ago. The guy gets some hits but its all shooting in the wind.

10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

IMO, it only works out if the Pistons can use that cap space on someone who will help the team get better long term, not some flash in the pan or someone only after a big payday. I honestly didn't mind much that JD traded Chauncey, it was just that he traded him for AI for what looked like a bargain price, and the trade went down at the wrong time. (jmo). I don't think that trade can be judged as a failure or success just yet. I want to see what JD does with his cap space and what Denver can do with Chauncey these next 2 years.

My idea of starting over means starting over from scratch. Trade away the rest of the old guard, establish a new identity. Give the coach personnel who don't have a stranglehold on past accomplishments, past glory, so a new team leader can emerge. I don't believe a young player like Stuckey can really lead a team while the vets are there to call the shots. Curry, as bad as he is, can't control anything either. The inmates will just go on running the asylum. I know this isn't what Joe said he'd want, but I don't think hanging on to Rip Hamilton is going to help much long term. I'd trade him while he still has value. Same with Tayshaun. It would probably hurt a lot short term, but it has to be done some time, no? Starting over right to me also means we don't trade a pick that can potentially net us a contributing player unless it's for a higher pick that would all but ensure we do. It also means not using that pick as filler to get more cap space.

See, this is where my lady emotions lead me astray. I love my Pistons, but I hate seeing a guy like Dice look hurt on the sidelines like he did these last 3 years. Like it or not, this team as constructed isn't much more than a borderline lottery team, no matter what Joe thinks. I wouldn't describe last year as winning, either. Seasons like that are inevitable, and maybe unavoidable. Dice doesn't have much time left. He's going to have to retire soon, and the Pistons may need more time than he has to right the ship and become contenders again. Him staying may be in the team's best interest, but it may not be in his. As a Pistons fan, I would love for him to stay, that's the honest truth, but I wouldn't mind seeing him go somewhere else and win his ring. Because I think he's a classy guy, a genuinely nice guy. Of course, if JD can work his magic again, then I'll happily eat crow.

11. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Dumars tried and still tries to keep this team competitive without having to go throug the lottery- phase. I think this goal won't be achieved, he has made some mistakes in trying to do so. So let's shift to rebuild- mode and trade Tay and Hamilton as long as they have any worth for future prospect and make it a 4 championship drive in some years!
    Joe has shown he has the ability to form a team that can compete for the ship for many years.

12. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Yes, but it depends on what the yard stick is. I think if we remain in the playoffs next season, even if it's as a lower seeded team and we get bounced in round 1, but make changes that are geared towards improving and maker deeper playoff runs each year, then Joe will have been successful in his goal.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Are they going to take away two of our championships?
    [​IMG]

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yikes, that one woman in the back is a beast!

15. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

She may be very tall, but I think she's very attractive..

16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

:pound::MusicBigGrin:

17. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The one with the blue hair and horns, correct?

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No, he was talking about the one in the mascot outfit.

19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

you guys gave me quite some laughter right now :MusicBigGrin: