1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Dumars: Trades, free-agent signings possible

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, May 1, 2009.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Finally , you support my "stats mean nothing' debate.

2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Are you forgetting about Arnie Kander?

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't call Kaman a total stiff. If you want to see a total stiff wait to see who Dumars snares with his 2nd round picks this year.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Trent Plaisted is hearing footsteps.

5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Could we see Camby in a Stons Uni and would we want him?

6. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

We have no center! Why would we not want a defensive minded center like Camby?

7. G-man

G-man Starter

Here's an interesting player that signed a 10 day contract with the Knicks right before their season ended. Chris Hunter PF/C, 6-11 Weight: 240 lbs, played at Michigan, then overseas, then played with the Detroit affiliated NBDL Mad Ants at Fort Wayne in 2008/09.

Nice stats, nice size.

2008-09 D-League Statistics
    PPG 19.3 RPG 9.40 APG 0.8 EFF + 22.00

YouTube - Chris Hunter highlights

The Knicks Blog » Chris Hunter Highlights

8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

DO the Knicks still want him? If not, I kinda wonder why a team that play Jared Jeffries (!!!) at the 5 wouldn't take any C, even if he's name was Oliver Miller.

9. G-man

G-man Starter

According to what I read, Donnie Walsh is signing bigs that played in the NBDL to short term deals before the draft. That gives him a little leverage in maybe making trades for late picks and/or insurance going into the summer leagues.

Dumars should've been doing the same thing, low cost, low risk. Especially since this guy played for our own affiliated NBDL team. Somebody was asleep at the wheel. These are the little things that organizations can do behind the scenes that give them an edge. It's what the Red Wings have been doing for 15 years..

We're going to miss Tom Hammond as time goes on...and on...and on.......

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pistons get Zach Randolph from the Clippers for one of their 2nd rounders. That would eat up about 16 million of the 20 million they have in cap space and leave roughly 4 million that they can use to re-sign Amir Johnson at double the salary in 2010.

11. Tha Locstah

You missed your calling......................easily Executive of the Year with a move like that!

12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The big question is whether we will change our style of ball next year. That will have alot to do with who we go after. Are we going to try and stay with the slow methodical style or become more up tempo?

I think we have some role players that would be a lot more productive in a more free flowing offense but I sure don't want to be the Suns.

13. kermo

kermo Second Round Draft Pick

This is easy. Sign a starting center and his backup. Kwame can be the third option guy.

1.Marcin Gortat
    2.Chris "Birdman" Anderson

Secondly, decide whether to re-sign Dice or try to trade for Camby (on an expiring deal) for a second round pick.

Finish off free agency by adding either Trevor Ariza or the lower cost Dahntay Jones.

Stuckey, Bynum
    Rip, Afflalo
    Prince, Ariza/Jones, Sharpe
    Camcy/Dice, Maxiell, Johnson
    Gortat, Anderson, Kwame

As for the draft I'd go for either the best available point guard or power forward.

14. Tha Locstah

Not feeling this lineup at all. This team wouldn't be any better than the one that was just eliminated from the playoffs in 4 by Cleveland. Sorry, I'm off by a game we'd maybe steal one from Cleveland.......maybe.

15. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Kermo, good to have you on the board making intelligent posts such as this one, and sparking meaningful discussion.

What I like about your suggestion is that much of it, or at least something similar, can be made into reality. And it would leave us with lots of nice chips to deal down the road. As I stated several times, long before it became the fashionable view, in these times you never know when as owner will look to trim payroll and dangle the kind of impact player we are in need of, and having that flexibility there will pay dividends sooner or later.

Random thought: How valuable will Camby's expiring contract be in the summer of 2010?

I have expressed my views on Gortat elsewhere. I cannot see the nuggets or lakers letting the Birdman or Ariza walk, even if it costs them more tax.

If we could turn Prince, Bynum, Rip (depending of course on what we get back - although I hate the thought of seeing go), draft picks and cap space into any of the following (in no particular order of preference), we would be really getting somewhere:

Gortat (How can we pass on a guy known as the 'Polish Hammer'?)
    Camby (one year rental for his expiring contract)
    Ben Gordon (can we start calling him BGiddy or 'The Closer'?)
    Marvin Williams (short and long term upgrade over Tay?)
    Dahntay Jones (as above)

Any other assets that we have a realistic shot at acquiring that would actually make sense (please, enough with the talk of Kaman and ZBo)? Golden State looking to deal?

16. theWORM

I beg to differ. Adding some youth to the swing positions, and a young center who can actually play and has something to prove, is not something to be so quickly dismissed. Plus we would retain flexibility.

This team needs an infusion of new blood. No question. And any new blood is better than sticking with what we currently have.

17. kermo

kermo Second Round Draft Pick

I'm not too keen Gordon. IMO Pistons need to keep their defensive identity. If they need some impact scoring I'd look at signing a bench player specifically Von Wafer.

18. theWORM

It is not that I am unaware of Gordon's short comings (no pun intended), but if we are to apply that reasoning, we really need to dump half the current roster.

Is Gordon's D any worse than Stuckey's or Bynum's? Is there any reason why he can't improve on that end? Rip's has.

Given the change in the way the game is now officiated, a scorer, and more importantly a CLOSER, of Gordon's ability is invaluable.

As the roster currently stands, when the game is on the line, whose hands do we put the ball in? Stuckey has shown flashes of potential, but the jury is still out. Gordon is a proven closer. Von Wafer does not enter this discussion (although he may a worthwhile bench guy).

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

That Gortat kid is pretty good, I've been watching him since you brought him up. I am having too hard a time visualizing what the team will look like next year to really consider particular players, but I would consider him regardless of the direction they choose.

Wasn't Ivan Putski the Polish Hammer? All bets are off if it turns out Gortat stole that nickname.

I know I've said this before, but to me there isn't a PF/C combo in the world available to the Pistons who can make the Stuckey/Rip & Tay trifecta work. Substituting 6 Trevor Arizia's won't make a difference either.

If the Pistons have their heart set on being this gritty defensive team I would hire Tom Thibodeau from BOS as the coach before I did anything and then figure out who fits and who doesn't in his system.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gortat is surprisingly agile.